Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2022/23 Banter Hangout

Chicago Storm

2 hours ago, Lightning said:

Cherry picking data.  

If they mandated a rule that you can't start a dataset in the 1970s, these people would give up their day jobs.

Locally spring snowfall actually has been on the decline, mostly because of March (even though this is a top ten snowy march lol). But of course Winter snowfall has been on the rise, as has the frequency of bigger snow falls and deeper snow packs.

Change in snowfall at Detroit 

1973-2022
Fall 3.0 to 2.2
Winter 31.6 to 37.7
Spring 9.6 to 6.5
Net 44.2 to 46.0

POR (1880-2022)
Fall 2.8 to 2.7
Winter 26.4 to 32.9
Spring 10.4 to 6.6
Net 39.8 to 42.2

• Thanks 1

prior to the last 5 years the largest late season snowfall was April 14, 1961 in Chicago. That has been surpassed twice in the last several years. Over my lifetime, I don't really recall any memorable late season events, though one did hit in early April perhaps 1972. It sure seems to me winters have carried much later into spring and late season snowfalls with the past several years. Of course, it's a blip in time. I'm old school, so no pie charts and graphs, just a memory. And when it comes to snow- a very good memory. 

• Like 3

There's been plenty of other years long ago with wintry weather lingering deep into spring, it's nothing new. Truth is locations north of 40N tend to have garbage springs for the most part, and that's especially true for the Great Lakes region. It's just the way our climo is unfortunately

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Baum said:

prior to the last 5 years the largest late season snowfall was April 14, 1961 in Chicago. That has been surpassed twice in the last several years. Over my lifetime, I don't really recall any memorable late season events, though one did hit in early April perhaps 1972. It sure seems to me winters have carried much later into spring and late season snowfalls with the past several years. Of course, it's a blip in time. I'm old school, so no pie charts and graphs, just a memory. And when it comes to snow- a very good memory. 

We're 3 years running now with late April snowfalls. If anything is hit or miss it's late season snows. 2005 had an incredible late season snowstorm Apr 23-24. Some years you get nothing. At Detroit the earliest last flakes were March 11, 1946. The latest was May 31, 1910.

6 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

We're 3 years running now with late April snowfalls. If anything is hit or miss it's late season snows. 2005 had an incredible late season snowstorm Apr 23-24. Some years you get nothing. At Detroit the earliest last flakes were March 11, 1946. The latest was May 31, 1910.

I have seen many April winter weather events (Quick 3 of the top of my head ... Major Ice followed by 7" of snow April 2003, 15" April 2005 and 9" April 2009).  It is common to see flakes fly into early May in MBY.  I always warn people who get excited about an early April warm up and tell them:  "Do not to forget they live in MI.  Let's get to May 10th and then we should be safe from snow until October.   If we are lucky we will be done with snow well before May 10th."

• Like 2

6 hours ago, luckyweather said:

not in the sub but Alta in Utah just cracked 700” on the season and Mammoth (CA) is now over 800”. Absolutely incredible winter in the Wasatch and Sierras and it’s still got some wind left in it.

I’ve been seeing those atmospheric rivers plow the west all winter it’s crazy how much snow they got at mammoth mountain. Record is 67 and they are in the mid 50s in feet about now right? I hope the spring out that way is gradual so all that don’t melt quickly and cause more flooding issues

45 minutes ago, SolidIcewx said:

I’ve been seeing those atmospheric rivers plow the west all winter it’s crazy how much snow they got at mammoth mountain. Record is 67 and they are in the mid 50s in feet about now right? I hope the spring out that way is gradual so all that don’t melt quickly and cause more flooding issues

7 hours ago, luckyweather said:

not in the sub but Alta in Utah just cracked 700” on the season and Mammoth (CA) is now over 800”. Absolutely incredible winter in the Wasatch and Sierras and it’s still got some wind left in it.

Read an article ski season could last through July in some areas there.

9 hours ago, luckyweather said:

Those are some huge number but still a long way to go to catch Mt Baker's record in 1998-1999 with 1140" of snow.

Those are some huge number but still a long way to go to catch Mt Baker's record in 1998-1999 with 1140" of snow.

that’s such a crazy number. just checked and they are having a just average season. coincidentally I actually summited Mt. Baker last August. Pic from the Easton Glacier, my wife and kids ahead of me. 10/10 would recommend. was the warmup for Rainier tentatively in July. we had just navigated through some beastly crevasses, I’m the heaviest so I held up the flank to get us through them.

7abadd7fa6e288d784265a16cd0f9201.jpg

fa29168b059b405ca6279e793698cbf5.jpg
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Now's the time to do the winter grade imo. Not a fan of doing it in midwinter, other than giving a rough estimation.

I give this winter a C-. I would expect the "i'm not about cold/snowcover, just about storms" crowd to go a bit higher than that in SE MI.

CONS

When you add everything up, it was a very mild winter.

The longest continuous stretch of snowcover was only 16 days (Jan 23-Feb 7).

The first 3 weeks of january and much of february was as boring as it comes in regards to snow falling.

The holiday season was bare or mostly bare until a few days before christmas. 

Powder snow was really lacking this winter, only saw a few inches or less at a time, as all the significant snows were wet.

PROS

The 1st blast of Winter in mid November brought a few inches of snow and a few bitter cold days that gave me one of the best laughs I've had in years, watching my mom and aunt try to get decorations in the frozen ground. 

The Christmas week cold snap and snow was perfectly timed. The arctic blizzard conditions on Dec 23 were true tundra, and Christmas day itself was a postcard with fresh snow & frigid air.

Heavy, wet snowstorms on Jan 22, Jan 25, Mar 3, & Mar 10 gave nature photographers like me countless beautiful scenes. Plus each of those storms was also accompanied with blinding snow.

The Feb 22 ice storm created beautiful scenes but a ton of destruction. Just 9 days later we got lots of cloud to ground lightning accompanied by snow and sleet. Both of those are things you usually don't see in any given winter.

For a few weeks in late January and early February it was neat to drive around and see snowmen everywhere. I cant recall seeing so many, but packing snow will do that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

B+ for me. 21+ Les event in Nov and Christmas snow really gave a boost to my grade as did March. That long stretch of crap in Jan and Feb is what caused my grade to drop a whole grade. Plus just missed the March snowfall record by a inch and thus the oldest record still standing for Monthly snowfall. March 1899 23" while this March was 22" inches. 

• Like 1

D-. Only reason it isn't a fucking E is because we got a white Christmas out of it, which means a lot to me. Tempted to lower it anyway just because of how badly we got baited with that event. Don't even get me started on the rest of the farce that was this winter. 

• Sad 1

A- 90%

This winter had its nice share of storms. The Christmas arctic blast to start. Then a series of heavy wet snows along with an ice storm in there to top it off. Honestly made for amazing pictures as stated above. As someone who works outside and with the trees I took it all it and enjoyed it as much as I could. Having cakes trees multiple times was a nice different touch as well. Finally the last factor for my rating is since I’m outside a lot the mild weather has made it more effective of me to get more of my work done. It is a shame we could not keep a snow pack but the warmer temps made it more enjoyable also.

• Like 1

I'd go a solid B+ here. December was pretty good with the Christmas Blizzard delivering some pretty top-tier winter conditions even with the small amount of snow. Plus it gave a legit white Christmas which is a big feat considering the last decade or so. The three weeks after Christmas were really really blehh and are the reason I can't give an A for this winter. Because they really sucked a lot. Love it being wintrier on my Spring break than my Winter break. After coming back to campus here in January, the rest of the month wasn't actually too bad, although we only really had deep winter conditions for about a week. February started off really warm, with multiple record highs the week of Valentine's Day. It legit felt like a morning from about now on Valentines Day.

And then the rally started the next week. The 2/21-23 storm did underperform compared to what it was modeled 24 hours out which sucked, but it did give a really good snow day so that was a plus. This storm started an almost 50" rally in the next month, culminating in the surprise snowfall on 3/25. Obviously way overperformed with a total of ~15" here. That storm was some of the heaviest rates I have ever seen, and the most snow I have seen personally since 12/20/12. Also ended up being a top 10 daily snowfall for Madison, which is still insane. We still have snowpiles here and it's been a week and a half of 40s and sun with some rain. Overall, despite the blehh stretch in January and early February, any winter that has such a late rally like we did with a legit big dog deserves at least a B grade. 

• Like 1

A+ Top 3 snowiest winter all time. Top 10 longest snow cover streak.        Multiple 12”+ storms. 2nd wettest winter on record.

This winter had it all besides deep prolonged cold. Plenty of below zero lows and a few highs below zero, but no noteworthy pioneer cold.  My backyard is still completely snow covered and has been since midday on 11/29/22. The lake a few blocks from my house is still frozen over. Not sure I’ll experience a winter this relentless again ever. 

• Like 2

On 4/3/2023 at 7:29 PM, SolidIcewx said:

A- 90%

This winter had its nice share of storms. The Christmas arctic blast to start. Then a series of heavy wet snows along with an ice storm in there to top it off. Honestly made for amazing pictures as stated above. As someone who works outside and with the trees I took it all it and enjoyed it as much as I could. Having cakes trees multiple times was a nice different touch as well. Finally the last factor for my rating is since I’m outside a lot the mild weather has made it more effective of me to get more of my work done. It is a shame we could not keep a snow pack but the warmer temps made it more enjoyable also.

Some cold Winters you can go without any caking snow storms, and this year we had 4 of them. Plus an ice storm. Plus a white Christmas. The pictures were plenty, but i'm certainly hoping for more powder in '23-24

Screenshot_20230405_010729_Gallery.jpg

• Like 2