• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Winter 2022/23 Banter Hangout

Chicago Storm

On this day in 2006, major tornado outbreak and the "Six-State Supercell," the supercell that brought the 66-mile tornado track that damaged Springfield IL (EF2). According to Wikipedia, 99 tornadoes confirmed from March 9 to March 13.

316779930_midwesttornoutbreakmar122006.thumb.jpg.918be02a995334a66d6b5145f1f0b24e.jpg

I believe there was a supercell that made it all the way from Oklahoma to Michigan during this event.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mnchaserguy said:

I believe there was a supercell that made it all the way from Oklahoma to Michigan during this event.

hence the Six States. Yes it's weird, I remember tracking it. the storm was quite washed out by the Michigan state line. but hey. Six States.

Now, with the time change, we have to wait until 10:15 PM or 10:30 PM Eastern Daylight to get the 00z 3km-NAM and similar products. Boo.

Man, the high risk went almost to the IL/WI border.

Shoulda chased on 3/5/22, but I thought the surface temperature/moisture were just a tad too marginal to produce substantial tornadoes, let alone a 70-mile-track EF4.

Had a decent chase on 3/15/16, caught a glimpse of the Trivoli-Hanna City, IL EF2 but my chase partner and I made a poor navigational decision and lost sight of it in the darkness after that.

After 3/12/06, 3/2/12 is the only really huge March outbreak outside of Dixie Alley that I remember.

32 minutes ago, Chicago916 said:

Another low pressure system cutting right through Chicago end of this week. Seems like that was the dominant storm track this Winter. Could lead to interesting severe weather as we enter Spring?

I would love to have a fun Severe Weather season; we'll see!

1 hour ago, Lightning said:

Throwback.  I was cleaning up some old links.  Who remembers this one.  :lol:

The best I recall was the Iraqi information minister from the early/mid 2000s when most were on WWBB/start of Easternwx and a few other places. Had some fun with that dude. Lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, WestMichigan said:

Another 2.5" and GRR is tied for their 3rd snowiest winter ever.  Rather unbelievable stat given the roller coaster ride this winter has been.

And we will all forget about it until once we torch next month. But insane nonetheless snow followed by melt. Still room for #2 perhaps?

11 years ago today was the start of what I personally consider to be the most anomalous temperature event in recorded history. 80s for days on end along with dews well into the 50s and even 60s (which provided us with very warm nighttime lows as well). Hard to fathom that happening now, especially with the current cold in place. At least next week looks decent

https://www.weather.gov/lot/march2012_heat
https://www.weather.gov/media/lot/events/March2012/March_Heatwave_2012_final.pdf

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HillsdaleMIWeather said:

The Indiana tornado drill making my weather radios all go off with a warning tone scared the hell out of me lmao, thought the world was ending 

I have a siren one block from me. I get physically assaulted when I am at home and it goes off. Scared the *junk* out of me.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, rainsucks said:

11 years ago today was the start of what I personally consider to be the most anomalous temperature event in recorded history. 80s for days on end along with dews well into the 50s and even 60s (which provided us with very warm nighttime lows as well). Hard to fathom that happening now, especially with the current cold in place. At least next week looks decent

https://www.weather.gov/lot/march2012_heat
https://www.weather.gov/media/lot/events/March2012/March_Heatwave_2012_final.pdf

Was 78 here on this day in 2012. Ended with 9 straight days in the 70s and 80s peaking at 84.