Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2022/23 Banter Hangout

Chicago Storm

2 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

It's almost comical how you can bank on any graph showing warming/less snow/etc starting in the 1970s.

But even in doing that, this graph is absolutely wrong in Michigan. Ran the numbers for Detroit, Flint, and Grand Rapids and all had somewhat of an INCREASE. I'd imagine they used Coop data. Missing data that comes with many coop stations would really help bring down the curve.

Oh the day (we are no where near) when we get away for all the agendas, politics and money driven science.   Until then most of this stuff being published is just :popcorn:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nwohweather said:

I'm doing the best I can with my pickup truck's emissions to get Nashville winters here. In all seriousness though this February is on par for Toledo with the average temperatures for Nashville in January. Crazy stats

Toledos avg temp would still be -3.5° for a Nashville January. 2 years ago in February Toledo was closer to Green Bay. If any month was well overdue to be a stinker it was February. Ready to turn the page to March.

• Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

Toledos avg temp would still be -3.5° for a Nashville January. 2 years ago in February Toledo was closer to Green Bay. If any month was well overdue to be a stinker it was February. Ready to turn the page to March.

Yeah, but Nashville International Airport is a notorious heat island, whereas Toledo Express Airport is in rural Swanton Township. Nashville's normal January temperature as recently as 2000 [using the 1961-1990 mean] was 36.1F, but has since risen 3.5F over the past 30 years. It's not really representative of most of metro Nashville, or certainly not of central Tennesee in general.

So Toledo's temperatures this February are right on pace with what was considered normal in Nashville in January just a little over two decades ago.

3 hours ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Yeah, but Nashville International Airport is a notorious heat island, whereas Toledo Express Airport is in rural Swanton Township. Nashville's normal January temperature as recently as 2000 [using the 1961-1990 mean] was 36.1F, but has since risen 3.5F over the past 30 years. It's not really representative of most of metro Nashville, or certainly not of central Tennesee in general.

So Toledo's temperatures this February are right on pace with what was considered normal in Nashville in January just a little over two decades ago.

I know nothing about Nashville so I did not realize that but I know UHI can be a problem. But regardless, this region has been on a run of cold snowy Februarys so a mild February is not so surprising. Not fun for Winter lovers, but not surprising.

3 hours ago, TheClimateChanger said:

You just got to laugh when these so-called experts say it's warmed 1.8F since preindustrial times, and you run the numbers yourself and it's up like 5F in 30 years. :arrowhead:

That's because the extremely cold 1970s make their mark known everywhere. I know some people hate doing it, but we are allowed to look at climate data before 1970.

Nashville January 
1931-1960: 39.9
1961-1990: 36.2
1991-2020: 39.1

Detroit January 
1931-1960: 26.8
1961-1990: 23.2
1991-2020: 25.8

On 2/24/2023 at 6:12 PM, michsnowfreak said:

That's because the extremely cold 1970s make their mark known everywhere. I know some people hate doing it, but we are allowed to look at climate data before 1970.

Nashville January 
1931-1960: 39.9
1961-1990: 36.2
1991-2020: 39.1

Detroit January 
1931-1960: 26.8
1961-1990: 23.2
1991-2020: 25.8

Might as well exclude the 1930s and some of the 1950s for heat then as well. 

4 hours ago, hardypalmguy said:

Might as well exclude the 1930s and some of the 1950s for heat then as well. 

I have no problem including the 1970s....in fact I love looking at data from 70s winters...I just have a problem with excluding things before the 1970s. The warm period of the 1930s-50s will really knock down a strong regression line that would be seen if you start in 1970.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, IWXwx said:

I see Stebo is posting again and haven't seen a post from Hoosier since Saturday night. I take it more board drama.

Nobody likes a hall monitor that actually patrols the halls and tries too hard. Just chill at your lil booth and watch reruns of breaking bad on your phone and mind your business.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Malacka11 said:

Damn, seriously how many chances can you blunder in the same fashion

Tbh it's none of our business and nobody's business on here. Never trust what you hear from anyone, especially on the internet. Just clique bullying prob going on. If something legit happened, then that's the police job.

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, Stevo6899 said:

Tbh it's none of our business and nobody's business on here. Never trust what you hear from anyone, especially on the internet. Just clique bullying prob going on. If something legit happened, then that's the police job.

My guy he literally made a post in OT about whether anybody else finds 16-year-olds attractive a couple years back. If that's not our business then I couldn't possibly tell you what the fuck is.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Malacka11 said:

My guy he literally made a post in OT about whether anybody else finds 16-year-olds attractive a couple years back. If that's not our business then I couldn't possibly tell you what the fuck is.

Well that's troubling for sure. Not sure why someone with any kind of intelligence that Hoosier seems to have would be stupid and think that would fly.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stevo6899 said:

Well that's troubling for sure. Not sure why someone with any kind of intelligence that Hoosier seems to have would be stupid and think that would fly.

And what's really wild is that he then proceeded to do the same type of shit a couple more times over the next few years. The last time I knew of he got banned for a little bit and his moderator access was removed so I can't imagine that he would do something that dumb again.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Malacka11 said:

And what's really wild is that he then proceeded to do the same type of shit a couple more times over the next few years. The last time I knew of he got banned for a little bit and his moderator access was removed so I can't imagine that he would do something that dumb again.

Well I hope he was just hacked and there's a way for someone to tell if he was. I can't imagine he would make the same mistake  3 times either, but nowadays the people you least expect to disappoint you, tend to eventually. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1