Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2022/23 Banter Hangout

Chicago Storm

3 hours ago, Frog Town said:

Look at it this way...if we didn't have winters like this, then we wouldn't enjoy the normal winters.  

I think what's making it worse is this is the 2nd one in a row well below average for snow.  It'll all even out in the seasons to come but stacking two crappers back to back definitely sucks lol.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Frog Town said:

Look at it this way...if we didn't have winters like this, then we wouldn't enjoy the normal winters.  

Many tend to complain profusely during average Winters. Hopefully this winter resets that mindset. I know other areas of the sub havent fared as well, but only 3 of the past 10 winters have featured below average snowfall here.

I think what's making it worse is this is the 2nd one in a row well below average for snow.  It'll all even out in the seasons to come but stacking two crappers back to back definitely sucks lol.

You sure about that? Climate change says this is the new normal. There might be blips here and there but winters like this (and even warmer) are here to stay.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, hardypalmguy said:

Averages will start going down with each new dataset.

Obviously nobody can predict with 100% certainty, but I don't think it's going to play out like that for the most part in our region.  I think we're more likely to see something like below, with decades/periods where the snowfall averages are steady or even bump up a bit (largely courtesy of a big season or two), with any more sustained precipitous decade over decade decline potentially not occurring until after most of us are dead.  Natural variability still matters... a lot.

Just my 2 cents

1000_F_259052808_b2j7eC3nLi0fl5eO8aLAFKY

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Considering snowfall averages are at all times highs for many areas, they very well may start to go down a little bit.

They are higher now because as average temperatures warm, initially they go up because warmer temperatures allow the atmosphere to hold more moisture.  Once we reach the cliff edge though where most storms change from snow to rain, they will fall fast and hard.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, buckeye said:

This is an example from the 12z gfs.   It seems with storms this winter, the cold sector precip shield almost always has rain outside the heaviest precip band, (even on the nw flanks).  I don't recall seeing this in past winters on models, at least no where near as prevalent.   

gw.JPG

I like seeing that.  I've been watching average temperatures climb since I've been a kid.  And we are close to reaching that tipping point where most systems flip from snow to rain.  We are right on the cusp.

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, hardypalmguy said:

They are higher now because as average temperatures warm, initially they go up because warmer temperatures allow the atmosphere to hold more moisture.  Once we reach the cliff edge though where most storms change from snow to rain, they will fall fast and hard.

You play the trolling game well, I won't step on your toes for that. But be prepared to always be called out with stats. "Once we reach the cliff edge where most storms change from snow to rain", LMAO that's not even how weather works. 

Screenshot_20230208_185326_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20230208_185210_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20230209_132630_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20230209_132826_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, hardypalmguy said:

I like seeing that.  I've been watching average temperatures climb since I've been a kid.  And we are close to reaching that tipping point where most systems flip from snow to rain.  We are right on the cusp.

That's a fascinating observation, especially since the 1990s winters were warmer than either the 2000s or the 2010s winters at Milwaukee
1990s- 26.4°
2000s- 25.6°
2010s- 25.8°

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

You play the trolling game well, I won't step on your toes for that. But be prepared to always be called out with stats. "Once we reach the cliff edge where most storms change from snow to rain", LMAO that's not even how weather works. 

Screenshot_20230208_185326_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20230208_185210_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20230209_132630_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20230209_132826_Samsung Internet.jpg

Dawg, at least you could try and not clutter data with noise from the 1800s.  Things become much more clear when you do 50 years of data.  Rapid warming.  21.6F to 28F.  Yikes.

chart(1).png

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, hardypalmguy said:

Dawg, at least you could try and not clutter data with noise from the 1800s.  Things become much more clear when you do 50 years of data.  Rapid warming.  21.6F to 28F.  Yikes.

chart(1).png

Anybody starting with 1970 or so is being disingenuous.  That was basically right in the midst of the coldest years on record, so you're starting with an unusually cold baseline.  Either use 30 year averages or the entire period of record.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3