Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2022/23 Banter Hangout

Chicago Storm

12 hours ago, RogueWaves said:

Wow, how horrible. I had almost 44" that season and thought it was "lame". As for the 70's. Where I was growing up it was much more consistently cold and snowy. Not to discount our recent string of great winters from roughly 02-03 until perhaps 15-16 (+/-). 

97% (64 of 66) of months from when I was 7-18 yrs old with measurable snowfall! That was a very wintry run of 11 years where I grew up. Maybe you can dig-up an equal string of winters lately?

1080495612_KFNT1972-1982Snowfall.PNG.85cfb500943a8f9109af4758c993a181.PNG

What website is that?

It will be a bit chilly over the next couple of days at Mount Washington NH.  850 temps near -40C.

Today
Mostly cloudy and cold, with a high near 9. Wind chill values as low as -23. Very windy, with a west wind 40 to 45 mph, with gusts as high as 55 mph.
Tonight
Snow showers likely, mainly between midnight and 3am. The snow could be heavy at times. Mostly cloudy, with a low around -27. Wind chill values as low as -53. Very windy, with a west wind 55 to 60 mph increasing to 65 to 70 mph in the evening. Winds could gust as high as 85 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
Friday
Mostly sunny and cold, with a temperature falling to around -37 by 5pm. Very windy, with a northwest wind around 70 mph, with gusts as high as 90 mph.
Friday Night
Mostly cloudy, with a low around -38. Wind chill values as low as -91. Very windy, with a northwest wind 70 to 75 mph increasing to 80 to 85 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 105 mph.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, beavis1729 said:

It will be a bit chilly over the next couple of days at Mount Washington NH.  850 temps near -40C.

Today
Mostly cloudy and cold, with a high near 9. Wind chill values as low as -23. Very windy, with a west wind 40 to 45 mph, with gusts as high as 55 mph.
Tonight
Snow showers likely, mainly between midnight and 3am. The snow could be heavy at times. Mostly cloudy, with a low around -27. Wind chill values as low as -53. Very windy, with a west wind 55 to 60 mph increasing to 65 to 70 mph in the evening. Winds could gust as high as 85 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
Friday
Mostly sunny and cold, with a temperature falling to around -37 by 5pm. Very windy, with a northwest wind around 70 mph, with gusts as high as 90 mph.
Friday Night
Mostly cloudy, with a low around -38. Wind chill values as low as -91. Very windy, with a northwest wind 70 to 75 mph increasing to 80 to 85 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 105 mph.

That wind would be brutal at those temperatures.

3 hours ago, luckyweather said:

guilty

I do enjoy around -5 to 15 or so degrees a lot. I wouldn’t want to live somewhere like that all year but a couple good stretches like that in the winter months are thrilling for me. When you have a good layering system the cold isn’t much of a factor in comfort. Love when the lakes freeze over good and solid and I can get out and ice skate, don’t sweat as bad Nordic skiing, and it keeps the normies off the ski hills. As well, nothing better than a quiet winter mid day hike around 5-10 degrees. There’s just an entirely different vibe.

Getting down below about -5 I get into the law of diminishing returns, harder to layer to stay warm, cars less reliable, harder on the wildlife, etc. I’m okay with not dipping down into the extremes too often but it is nice to get a -20 low every few years for a day or two.

Well I guess it takes some kind of weenieness to find minus temps thrilling, but hey different strokes. I also enjoy winter sports and those arent very fun with single digit temps. Most of the legit snowstorms, atleast around metro detroit happen when temps are 25-30. Usually temps colder than that means suppression, unless we're in a clipper pattern. Cold and dry are useless to me and just find it hard to believe someone actually likes frigid cold lol.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

I like the cold. Now....the -30 wind chills while I was out shoveling Dec 23? No. I thought it would be fun but it was legit hard to breathe. But moderate cold I love and find invigorating. Took a winter walk yesterday. Snow wise the past 5 seasons have not sucked here, except 2018-19. They haven't been great, but haven't sucked. Maybe other parts of the subforum, but im sick of hearing that average to above average snow seasons "suck". The frustration of this snow season, especially to mid Jan, is what a sucky snow season is. Not not getting wall to wall snow
2017-18: 62.5" above
2018-19: 31.9" below
2019-20: 43.8" avg
2020-21: 47.0" slightly above
2021-22: 47.9" slightly above

As always our criteria for suckiness is different, and you're satisfaction for average. As long as you're happy, that's all that matters.

1 hour ago, Stevo6899 said:

As always our criteria for suckiness is different, and you're satisfaction for average. As long as you're happy, that's all that matters.

And mind you, being "satisfied" does not make something a good or great Winter. There have been definite good times the past several winters but the last great winter was 2017-18, and before that was 2014-15 and of course the grand poobah of all 2013-14.  The last truly sucky Winter was 2011-12, but there have been subpar Winter since (2015-16, 2018-19).  A lot of the other ones fit into the category of "satisfied", not good, not bad.

Pic below from February 2021.

FB_IMG_1675366812425.jpg

13 hours ago, RogueWaves said:

Beavis approved climo

621646208_NWSBismarkrecord.png.ff0cfdcafde03b151e4b64105c1c3a92.png

Yep…although I’m actually surprised that their record isn’t higher. I guess it’s because Bismarck has a pretty dry climate, and despite the overall cold they occasionally get chinooks that melt the snow…and even a lot of sun and wind over time can reduce the snow cover (all else being equal).

They probably have constant snow cover a lot…but mainly in the 4-10” range as opposed to 12”+.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chinook said:

Part of Ontario near Sudbury is 49F degrees, or 27.2 C degrees, lower than yesterday. Sudbury went -4C to -33C in about 23 hours.

sfct_change_024h_obs.us_ne.png

Glad it's a glancing blow for MBY since it was never going to produce anything but painful CAD.  Being on the western edge of an arctic high with some snowcover is a nice for once - while it lasts.  I do like cold nights and sunshine better than mid-30s + cloudy that's been so prevalent this year.  It looks like it won't even get below zero though.  Timing just isn't right with the northwest breeze not dying off fast enough last night and warm advection beginning tonight already.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

And mind you, being "satisfied" does not make something a good or great Winter. There have been definite good times the past several winters but the last great winter was 2017-18, and before that was 2014-15 and of course the grand poobah of all 2013-14.  The last truly sucky Winter was 2011-12, but there have been subpar Winter since (2015-16, 2018-19).  A lot of the other ones fit into the category of "satisfied", not good, not bad.

Pic below from February 2021.

FB_IMG_1675366812425.jpg

You'd think I'd be happy with three 12"+ lake effect events the past two years, but there were no follow-up clippers to keep things fresh and the thaws came so quick.  I miss the prolonged snowpacks that haven't really happened since 2014.

• Like 1

Here is other note on the Northeast wind chill blast. The GFS has -40C temps at 850mb for the Caribou, Maine area. I think it will be very close to a record or record-breaking at Caribou. The record coldest 850mb temperature is -39.40 Celsius as per the SPC page that has this stuff. The "median" would be -11.7 Celsius.

1 hour ago, IWXwx said:

Recent reports from aircraft in the area have it at a lower altitude than what was originally reported.  

Latest sighting was around Columbia, MO.  On current course, may get to the STL/downstate IL area later this afternoon if anyone from there is interested in looking.

1 hour ago, iBrian said:

I need to look up a short documentary on Mt. Washington - why are winds consistently so high on a ~6000 ft. mountain??

The wind gets faster over mountain peaks and some mountain passes. The air is forced into a smaller- volume space: the mountain, and other air above it. You get a faster wind by conservation of mass flow. And maybe extra turbulence.

• Like 1