• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2022/23 Banter Hangout

Chicago Storm

Ski hills just can’t get a break. They pumped millions of gallons of water at night to do their best to make snow and survive the warm stretch from the 4th week of December through the third week of January. Then it looks like winter is finally returning for a week.

Reverse uno card: 40s and rain on the ten day with worse to follow.

• Sad 1

54 minutes ago, ILSNOW said:

Looking forward to our 72 hour cold snap in late March/early April when we get 4-6 inches of wet snow that only accumulates on the grass and then melts 3 hours later. Got 5 inches on Saturday and saw snow during the day for first time in a long time.

this winter suxs!!!!

At least you had that.

12 hours ago, sielicki said:

Ski hills just can’t get a break. They pumped millions of gallons of water at night to do their best to make snow and survive the warm stretch from the 4th week of December through the third week of January. Then it looks like winter is finally returning for a week.

Reverse uno card: 40s and rain on the ten day with worse to follow.

Lovin it.  WI isn't for skiing and snowmobiling anymore.  Need to go to northern MN. 

• Like 1

It's all fun and games since AGW seems to be bringing milder winters. Wait till we start averaging 35 90F days and 5-10 100F days in the summer. 

• Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, Cary67 said:

It's all fun and games since AGW seems to be bringing milder winters. Wait till we start averaging 35 90F days and 5-10 100F days in the summer. 

What's wrong with that?  I love the heat.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, hardypalmguy said:

Lovin it.  WI isn't for skiing and snowmobiling anymore.  Need to go to northern MN. 

False, we are having a stellar ski season in central/southern MN. My hill has been 100% open for over a month and hasn’t had to make any snow. Snowmobiles are all over too. 

I appreciate the dedication to the bit, but you really need to move to Memphis or St. Louis, or Houston. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

False, we are having a stellar ski season in central/southern MN. My hill has been 100% open for over a month and hasn’t had to make any snow. Snowmobiles are all over too. 

I appreciate the dedication to the bit, but you really need to move to Memphis or St. Louis, or Houston. 

Look at the guy with 5 feet of snow on the season flexing on us peons. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

Houston, maybe...

Memphis? They're getting an Ice Storm Warning right now.

St. Louis? lol...

2 hours ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

Skiing and snowboarding hills are doing just fine in Southern Michigan as well. Yeah they make plenty of additional snow, but that's needed for a deep firm base.

Really, Cromartie trolling us getting over the top. He doesn't even post about weather or snowstorms that are going on in his location, just talks about torching.

Yes, winter is disappearing because we had a mild January. Can't remember the last time we had a cold Winter  where the Great Lakes had above average ice cover. Wow. I looked, we haven't had a cold Winter with above average ice cover since...LAST WINTER!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

Skiing and snowboarding hills are doing just fine in Southern Michigan as well. Yeah they make plenty of additional snow, but that's needed for a deep firm base.

Really, Cromartie trolling us getting over the top. He doesn't even post about weather or snowstorms that are going on in his location, just talks about torching.

Yes, winter is disappearing because we had a mild January. Can't remember the last time we had a cold Winter  where the Great Lakes had above average ice cover. Wow. I looked, we haven't had a cold Winter with above average ice cover since...LAST WINTER!

Your month of feb that has prevented you from giving winter a grade lower than C the past few winters, looks pretty ZZzzz and mild through the first 10-12 days. Crazy there's only been one potential of 6+ to track up until this point. Atleast in past crappy winters, there's been atleast some threats to track that didn't work out

I am an avid skier and have a pass on the local hills.  The yes they are open but the conditions are not very good (obviously better but still not great conditions in the past week).  The snow has been more like sugar / sand  (even now many areas are still sugar like on Mt Holly).  Yeah people go but it is more of a hangout fun this year with crappy ski conditions.  Last year was so much better because we got snow (limited amount but useful) and stayed below freezing most of the winter avoiding the rainy warm-ups.  Up to this point, last year was much better all around IMO.  Wish we would get a grand finish but the models are not showing anything grand at this time.  We'll see... 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Stevo6899 said:

Your month of feb that has prevented you from giving winter a grade lower than C the past few winters, looks pretty ZZzzz and mild through the first 10-12 days. Crazy there's only been one potential of 6+ to track up until this point. Atleast in past crappy winters, there's been atleast some threats to track that didn't work out

Each winter is different so hard to say what grades would have been with an "average" February, but each of the last 2 winters finished slightly above average snowfall thanks in large part to Feb. I was a fan of the cold last winter, not just the snowy Feb. And in 2021, depth got to 15" in Feb. Even if the last half of this month gets active and snowy, looks like we won't be adding to the 20+ inch Feb club that had become the norm. Maybe March will be interesting. Just as we've been due for a dull February, we're due for a rockin March. I don't care as much about tracking, just give me results.

20 minutes ago, Lightning said:

I am an avid skier and have a pass on the local hills.  The yes they are open but the conditions are not very good (obviously better but still not great conditions in the past week).  The snow has been more like sugar / sand  (even now many areas are still sugar like on Mt Holly).  Yeah people go but it is more of a hangout fun this year with crappy ski conditions.  Last year was so much better because we got snow (limited amount but useful) and stayed below freezing most of the winter avoiding the rainy warm-ups.  Up to this point, last year was much better all around IMO.  Wish we would get a grand finish but the models are not showing anything grand at this time.  We'll see... 

Oh, for sure last Winter was FAR better. I'm not a skier, but a friend of mine went to just the other day and said he had fun. I don't think there's any disagreement that this is just plain and simple not a good Winter overall.  The trolling posts (even though by mostly one person) do get old though. Especially when last Winter was a good Winter for the cold lovers, and we are a few years removed from our snowiest decade on record.

Oh, for sure last Winter was FAR better. I'm not a skier, but a friend of mine went to just the other day and said he had fun. I don't think there's any disagreement that this is just plain and simple not a good Winter overall.  The trolling posts (even though by mostly one person) do get old though. Especially when last Winter was a good Winter for the cold lovers, and we are a few years removed from our snowiest decade on record.

Oh for sure people's memory are stuck thinking every winter in the 70s were continuous cold with hundreds of inches of snow every year.  I hear it all the time that it doesn't snow like it used to.  When I point out that we just got out of the snowiest decade including 13-14 being the snowiest winter in SE MI history they are awestruck.   :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Lightning said:

Oh for sure people's memory are stuck thinking every winter in the 70s were continuous cold with hundreds of inches of snow every year.  I hear it all the time that it doesn't snow like it used to.  When I point out that we just got out of the snowiest decade including 13-14 being the snowiest winter in SE MI history they are awestruck.   :lol:

I think most still give a nod to 13-14, but then they revert to the 70s lol in the next breath lol. I wonder how it was in the 70s. Like, did people say "it doesn't snow like it did in the 50s" even tho the 50s were way warmer and way less snowy.

• Haha 1

On 1/30/2023 at 7:18 PM, michsnowfreak said:

We're only halfway done. But so far it's definitely not as bad as 2011-12 here. Plenty of time for improvement or unimprovement lol. 

The wintriest spells have been mid November, the week of Christmas, and late January. We have had snow on the ground continuously since the morning of Jan 22 with no melt in immediate sight. We are at 19.2" so far....2011-12 was my all time low (since I started in 1995-96) of 25.5".

Wow, how horrible. I had almost 44" that season and thought it was "lame". As for the 70's. Where I was growing up it was much more consistently cold and snowy. Not to discount our recent string of great winters from roughly 02-03 until perhaps 15-16 (+/-). 

97% (64 of 66) of months from when I was 7-18 yrs old with measurable snowfall! That was a very wintry run of 11 years where I grew up. Maybe you can dig-up an equal string of winters lately?

1080495612_KFNT1972-1982Snowfall.PNG.85cfb500943a8f9109af4758c993a181.PNG

15 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

There are cold lovers? I dont think anyone enjoys single digit temps, or the cold.  I think the majority are snow lovers and the past 5 winters have sucked if you're a snow lover. There's no sugar coating it. 

• Like 1

There are cold lovers? I dont think anyone enjoys single digit temps, or the cold. 

guilty

I do enjoy around -5 to 15 or so degrees a lot. I wouldn’t want to live somewhere like that all year but a couple good stretches like that in the winter months are thrilling for me. When you have a good layering system the cold isn’t much of a factor in comfort. Love when the lakes freeze over good and solid and I can get out and ice skate, don’t sweat as bad Nordic skiing, and it keeps the normies off the ski hills. As well, nothing better than a quiet winter mid day hike around 5-10 degrees. There’s just an entirely different vibe.

Getting down below about -5 I get into the law of diminishing returns, harder to layer to stay warm, cars less reliable, harder on the wildlife, etc. I’m okay with not dipping down into the extremes too often but it is nice to get a -20 low every few years for a day or two.
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Stevo6899 said:

There are cold lovers? I dont think anyone enjoys single digit temps, or the cold.  I think the majority are snow lovers and the past 5 winters have sucked if you're a snow lover. There's no sugar coating it. 

I like the cold. Now....the -30 wind chills while I was out shoveling Dec 23? No. I thought it would be fun but it was legit hard to breathe. But moderate cold I love and find invigorating. Took a winter walk yesterday. Snow wise the past 5 seasons have not sucked here, except 2018-19. They haven't been great, but haven't sucked. Maybe other parts of the subforum, but im sick of hearing that average to above average snow seasons "suck". The frustration of this snow season, especially to mid Jan, is what a sucky snow season is. Not not getting wall to wall snow
2017-18: 62.5" above
2018-19: 31.9" below
2019-20: 43.8" avg
2020-21: 47.0" slightly above
2021-22: 47.9" slightly above

• Like 1
  • Haha 1