Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2022/23 Banter Hangout

Chicago Storm

Looks like some big dog futility records being broken in the northeast:
JFK: Warmest January on record
JFK and Central Park today will tie (and look to easily shatter) latest first measurable snowfall.
If the winter out here is getting F or F- grades, what does this winter in NYC get? Expelled?

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

On 1/29/2023 at 10:09 AM, RCNYILWX said:

If the winter out here is getting F or F- grades, what does this winter in NYC get? Expelled?

Man, had no idea they were still riding the egg. Saw photos of flowers blooming in Central Park. 

I'll remember this the next time I am looking at CAD as they get 2'+ with a nor'easter. 

• Like 2

As we close in on February, I'd have to say that this is about the most pathetic winter I've ever seen in this area up to this point.  I've lived in a few different locations so let's just say the years I've been living around the I-80 corridor.  Still have not had the grass fully covered yet.  The December storm might have done it if there hadn't been so much blowing/drifting, but hard to say.  Still haven't had a 3" snowfall.  Not to go all beavis on ya but that is just ridiculous for this latitude.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

As we close in on February, I'd have to say that this is about the most pathetic winter I've ever seen in this area up to this point.  I've lived in a few different locations so let's just say the years I've been living around the I-80 corridor.  Still have not had the grass fully covered yet.  The December storm might have done it if there hadn't been so much blowing/drifting, but hard to say.  Still haven't had a 3" snowfall.  Not to go all beavis on ya but that is just ridiculous for this latitude.

Go for it - it's completely justified. :arrowhead:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

Man, had no idea they were still riding the egg. Saw photos of flowers blooming in Central Park. 

I'll remember this the next time I am looking at CAD as they get 2'+ with a nor'easter. 

Honest to god I'd trade this winter for a real big dog a thousand times over

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

You are in the Indiana suburbs of Chicago right? I did not realize it has been that bad. Whats your season to date? Going beavis is justified. In fact that's what it should be used for, not knit picking little things during snowier times.

1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

You are in the Indiana suburbs of Chicago right? I did not realize it has been that bad. Whats your season to date? Going beavis is justified. In fact that's what it should be used for, not knit picking little things during snowier times.

Yep, south of Gary.  I'm under 10" 

At the end of the day it's just snow.  I don't care that deeply, and it's been nice not having to drive in bad road conditions too much.  But still, would be nice to at least get a good event or two.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Hoosier said:

It’s felt like winter only twice this season:

1) The 72 hours after the Christmas storm 

2) Now

This is the most pathetic winter I’ve seen, hands down. 

We're only halfway done. But so far it's definitely not as bad as 2011-12 here. Plenty of time for improvement or unimprovement lol. 

The wintriest spells have been mid November, the week of Christmas, and late January. We have had snow on the ground continuously since the morning of Jan 22 with no melt in immediate sight. We are at 19.2" so far....2011-12 was my all time low (since I started in 1995-96) of 25.5".

• Sad 1

56 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

We're only halfway done. But so far it's definitely not as bad as 2011-12 here. Plenty of time for improvement or unimprovement lol. 

The wintriest spells have been mid November, the week of Christmas, and late January. We have had snow on the ground continuously since the morning of Jan 22 with no melt in immediate sight. We are at 19.2" so far....2011-12 was my all time low (since I started in 1995-96) of 25.5".

Same..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Honestly, the week of Christmas saved this winter for me.  Snow and cold for Christmas was a nice change of pace from recent years

• Like 2

14 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Winter looks toast man.

capture.PNG

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, hardypalmguy said:

You better put down the pre-emergent.  Dandelion season coming quick.

I am not a fan of anything pre-emergence. I much rather spot treat when I can see them. Pre-emergence seems to restrict grass growth as much as weed growth. I would rather get as thick as I can with the grass first and foremost.

13 minutes ago, bowtie` said:

I am not a fan of anything pre-emergence. I much rather spot treat when I can see them. Pre-emergence seems to restrict grass growth as much as weed growth. I would rather get as thick as I can with the grass first and foremost.

True.  Every spring I dump a couple pounds of fresh seed and roll it in.  Spring rains do wonders getting this to germinate without any extra help from me.  Then I walk around and spot spray the weeds as the show up.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hardypalmguy said:

Winter looks toast man.

capture.PNG

I did not realize that Winter was just February 7-13. Funny it sure looks and feels like midwinter as we close out January. I'm glad you're back though. Was worried since you did not say a word when Milwaukee got an 8" snowstorm. Figured you forgot your password or something. After all that's what we're here for, right? To discuss weather

• Like 1
  • Haha 1