Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2022/23 Banter Hangout

Chicago Storm

3 hours ago, beavis1729 said:

Glad to have someone else on board the train. :gun_bandana:

image.png.34f990d8bffc4a877ef59dd22ae40603.png to be fair, I said theres been too much complaining in average or above average snow seasons. NOW is the time to complain.  Remember, I love snow as much as you. I just have realistic expectations of our climate. We are not supposed to be the Arctic, but we are supposed to be a LOT wintrier than this January has been.

• Haha 1

The storm system later next week represents sort of a worst case scenario for snow lovers for the QC/Chicago crew.  After getting bypassed to the northwest all season only to have a big snow pass by southeast.  I thought last winter's sub 20" season was bad, this one may be even worse the way things are going lol.  Guess we'll see if Feb can deliver. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

The storm system later next week represents sort of a worst case scenario for snow lovers for the QC/Chicago crew.  After getting bypassed to the northwest all season only to have a big snow pass by southeast.  I thought last winter's sub 20" season was bad, this one may be even worse the way things are going lol.  Guess we'll see if Feb can deliver. 

Agreed. Still have a bit of hope that maybe it'll trend right for several days but we both know it's probably never gonna happen

With this multi-year run of Ninas, was thinking about what the next big Nino could be like.  How warm could it get?  The strong/super Ninos have a return rate of about once every 10-15 years.  Last one was 2015-16, so good chance we'll see it again sometime in the next several years.

Of course some may argue that this winter has seemed like a Nino.  ;)

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, KokomoWX said:

12z Euro coming in hot for a parade of storms.  

HOT.png

19 hours ago, Jackstraw said:

You and me both know unless this maps 12 hours out its gonna be a kitchen sink Lucy pulls the football event for us lol.  It is pretty to look at though :tomato:

Call it intuition, but I think we'll score in this area (North Central/Northeast IN) even if it comes as multiple minor events over the next 10 days or so. Anyone down toward I 70 might as well post the Eurythmics.

• Like 3

On 1/21/2023 at 11:26 PM, Chicago916 said:

I'm sure some of you have seen, but great thread on forecasting.

I've seen several great threads by the Lincoln,IL Twitter account this week so props to them!

ILX has been doing some good things recently, on top of that Twitter thread.

• Like 1

Just wondering how many people tend to miss the 'old' days for being a weather weenie.  There were not model runs every hour but rather a few not as accurate models every 12 hours.  There was a lot more surprises (both ways / good and bad).  The 'mystery', for lack of better word, these days are gone.  Sure today we get over performers and busts but these are a lot more localized then area wide.  Honestly, with today's models we have seen those outcomes modeled at some point during 3 days leading up to the event.  So was it really an over performer or bust as you had seen that outcome was modeled.   

Now I will say it is great to have today’s models with the many wonderful advancements.  As a weather weenie that began in the mid-70s and 80s, there are times I really miss the days of going bed with a 1" or less forecast only to wake up to 8-12" snow event. Likewise, a T-storm waking me up at 2 AM when nothing was ever in the forecast.  Of course there were some big bust too there were very depressing.

Note: To be clear I talking about events once we get within 3 days and not the future casting of models beyond 3 days.

• Like 2