Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2022/23 Banter Hangout

Chicago Storm

On 12/25/2022 at 8:04 PM, RogueWaves said:

DTX. Kickin it w/TX, SWMO, & the Carolinas :rolleyes:. I made a joke post before that it was good they didn't upgrade to a BW for blowing dust. But by what someone posted about whiteouts in the Thumb region and how plows were being pulled and no emergency responders after dark, I think they could've/should've upgraded some of those counties tbh. 

Macomb/Wayne gonna go another 4k days. Eastside sucks. Snowcover of 2 inch or less capital of the world.

47 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Really need a new avatar.  The red hat got short shrifted for December.  Should I try it again for January?  

You are free to try what you like. But you might want to think how some certain other people are going to think about it.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, HillsdaleMIWeather said:

The extent of the fatalities from the blizzard is way more than I think anyone expected, they're still finding people dead in Buffalo 

I can't even imagine what it was like in Buffalo. Everyone here was so focused on the total amount of snow, but the conditions themselves were brutal. When I was outside the evening of December 23rd trying to blow snow drifts out of my driveway it literally was hard to breathe when I came inside. In Buffalo you had those conditions AND feet of snow. Whether it was people who were trapped in their cars and froze to death or medical emergenciesthat first responders couldnt get too, had to be a terrifying way to die.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, HillsdaleMIWeather said:

The extent of the fatalities from the blizzard is way more than I think anyone expected, they're still finding people dead in Buffalo 

I'd imagine that few, if any storms in Buffalo history have put together the heavy snow + extreme winds + cold trifecta like this one did.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

I'd imagine that few, if any storms in Buffalo history have put together the heavy snow + extreme winds + cold trifecta like this one did.  

None. I think the blizzard conditions lasted over 40 hours straight. It will go down as the deadliest and worst storm in Buffalos history. The highest wind gust was 79 MPH, highest snow total was 53". All of Erie county got over 3 feet of snow which is quite expansive and well over a million people in total were affected. The airport was closed from Friday morning until today. The city of buffalo had a driving ban for 6 days.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, bowtie` said:

Something is wrong in that, what I assume to be a personal station output, as it froze my computer up. Also unless there was a long power interruption, that does not make sense.

No power outage. That's from my weather station right after the thunderstorm moved through.

11 minutes ago, Chambana said:

Wasting peak winter as has been the trend the last years. 1.5” season total, with nothing on the horizon until at least middle January. 

A lot like wasting most of April-June with a chilly eastern trough, a giant death ridge, weak split flow, or similar such patterns that are blatantly hostile to severe weather in the central US.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

A lot like wasting most of April-June with a chilly eastern trough, a giant death ridge, weak split flow, or similar such patterns that are blatantly hostile to severe weather in the central US.

Yup.  Severe weather has been lacking in WI for at least the past decade.  Storms seem to die in MN before they get here and we get dry FROPA the following morning.

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, hardypalmguy said:

Yup.  Severe weather has been lacking in WI for at least the past decade.  Storms seem to die in MN before they get here and we get dry FROPA the following morning.

Not just in WI, but the Plains and Midwest in general (although northern IL did have an active streak particularly from 2015-'16). Granted I could have seen several tornadoes in the last couple years if not for boneheaded decisions at the last minute for which I have only myself to blame, but it would be nice to have more than 2-4 legit opportunities (that don't immediately go to linear or clustery crap like 5/30 and 6/15/22) per season.

Seems the only quality events are the sneaky and/or out-of-season ones, like yesterday in central IL.

• Sad 1