• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2022-2023 OBS Thread

Ralph Wiggum

My Upper Darby sister texted that she is at 70 there now.  I am at 64 so delayed but not denied.  

A NBC10 met who popped in on KYW earlier noted that there was some easterly wind component today that had been keeping some of the temps down so far (particularly at the shore), but the 70s were definitely going down in the Delmarva.  Missed who it was.

EDIT - after missing 2 more reports I finally caught which met was reporting into KYW this afternoon - Michelle Rotella.

1 hour ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

18z GFS and ens were as good as I've seen the entire winter. Strong signal emerging around the Ides of March as well. Guys, I'm dead serious when I say this is far from over.  LFG!

9c661113feff6d64462dfc1c3e68f44c.jpg

F3A51A2E-40CA-4936-AB63-E20876D68A7B.thumb.png.0015cef0e23d9f68e5cbd2f2642f42cb.png

AS I keeping saying "winter is dead Jim."  The positive growth snow on the ground  of these models is a few inches  so what? If we get it, it will be gone in a few days or even hours with no long sustaining cold.  

11 minutes ago, Albedoman said:

AS I keeping saying "winter is dead Jim."  The positive growth snow on the ground  of these models is a few inches  so what? If we get it, it will be gone in a few days or even hours with no long sustaining cold.  

These are ensembles. They don't show "positive growth snow". That ens mean is smoothed and is quite impressive tbh. Some monster hits among the individual members. Euro weeklies, CFS, and GFSx all have the same pattern progression and idea as we near the Ides. Couldn't care less if it melts in a day or hours. That is a realistic expectation given the calendar. I would enjoy every flake as it falls. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

These are ensembles. They don't show "positive growth snow". That ens mean is smoothed and is quite impressive tbh. Some monster hits among the individual members. Euro weeklies, CFS, and GFSx all have the same pattern progression and idea as we near the Ides. Couldn't care less if it melts in a day or hours. That is a realistic expectation given the calendar. I would enjoy every flake as it falls. 

Agreed. Just would be nice to see some real winter outside of a couple days at Christmas.

the only positive aspect at this time is that the 0Z CMC finally shows a Ohio/TN valley Low heading to the coast instead of screaming into the Great lakes this year. Finally,  a single model run that both the CMC and GFS finally agree 6 days out was somewhat a plus too.  Lets hope it says this way in the next 72 hours. I feel somewhat hopeful but we have burned before baby

• Like 1

The appearance of the pattern evolution wrt the 50/50 low and -NAO dipole around March 3-5 continues to develop among the various pieces of guidance. There are now several ind ens members beginning to honk and the ops are starting to see the looks up top and reflect down into the lower 48. Again, the threat(s) as we moving thru March are real and starting to increase. In like a lion:

gfs_asnow_neus_39.png

9 minutes ago, Duca892 said:

Hey at this point I’m just happy something has survived until under 200hrs. I’m sure we have had others before this winter but usually by now it’s dead. Hope it survives until Monday at least and then we can talk maybe some realistic possibilities 

Next 3 runs is usually when the threats have vanished or morphed into something totally different this season (144-180 hr range). If we can get this under a week then it might be a legit threat. I still like the look up top we are getting. Just need that to have a real impact down in the states. Pretty typical late season look tbh with a boundary pushing thru establishing the cold and a followup right on it's heels with the shorter wavelengths in-between. Problem we have seen repeatedly is the followup gets pushed too far S or sheared out. Saw this with the similar pattern in Dec when the 50/50 and NAO established. Hoping this time it works and we actually get the SER to flex just the right amt and nudge thing towards our lat. 

We have already seen our high temperature for today at 52.3 degrees this morning at 4:58am. We are down to 43.8 here at 8am. Tonight should be the coldest night in a couple weeks and there is an increasing chance of some light snow across much of the county tomorrow late morning and afternoon. All models show some very minor snow accumulations during the day with temps struggling to pass the freezing mark. Warmer again by Sunday with snow quickly changing to rain on Monday.
Records for today: High 74 (1985) / Low 0.3 below zero (2015) / Precipitation 2.47" (2016)/ Snow 5.5' (1907)
image.png.c444d4d060e03984a8675fc708379b66.png
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, ChescoWx said:
We have already seen our high temperature for today at 52.3 degrees this morning at 4:58am. We are down to 43.8 here at 8am. Tonight should be the coldest night in a couple weeks and there is an increasing chance of some light snow across much of the county tomorrow late morning and afternoon. All models show some very minor snow accumulations during the day with temps struggling to pass the freezing mark. Warmer again by Sunday with snow quickly changing to rain on Monday.
Records for today: High 74 (1985) / Low 0.3 below zero (2015) / Precipitation 2.47" (2016)/ Snow 5.5' (1907)
image.png.c444d4d060e03984a8675fc708379b66.png

71.8F here. I broke the Chester County record. :lol:

46 minutes ago, ChescoWx said:

Charlie you really need that fan aspirated system to stop those warm readings way down there in the southern climes of Chesco!! :D

Saw similar temperatures in the East York area-- fascinating mircoclimate there! By my work (eastern edge of amish country) Weeping willows, flowering cherries and alders are begining to leaf-out.