• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2022-2023 OBS Thread

Ralph Wiggum

Its way too early to cancel winter but I will say it’s pretty eerie how similar this winter is playing out like 2019-2020. Got cold in December but didn’t have the storm tracks so we were warm/wet then cool/dry. PAC air flooded the continent by the end of December into January and we had a lucky c-2” event at the beginning of January then nothing else. Now we have a c-2” event Sunday and nothing on the horizon. Pattern changes were teased in long range for weeks on end but never materialized until mid-late March. We have the models showing hope again now for late month with a workable pattern but given the large scale changes we see in the day 7-10 range right now, it’s impossible to have confidence beyond that. Hopefully things play out better than 19-20 we also got incredibly unlucky a few times that season but the similarities thus far are striking imo. 

13 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Things keep improving the new euro is mostly a frontal passage and a day of showers the coastal stays offshore late next week.

This will be the 3rd time so far since Dec 1 that the LR to 7 days+ showed a major coastal low that ended up being a fropa. Also the 3rd time the 50/50 failed. Atmospheric memory is a real thing.

• Like 1

Here in Chester County the first 6 days of January were the 2nd warmest start to the year in history. Below is a list of the Top 20 warmest. I have also listed how much snow fell from January through April following those mild starts to the New Year. Normal Chester County snowfall between now and April is 29.7"
6 of the 20 years would end up with above normal snow. 5 more years would be within 5" of normal with 9 ending below normal snowfall. Not sure if it means anything but....I guess I am saying if you love snow - there is hope!
image.png.943dd0cacdb6b3fdafae4705cc9b6659.png

3 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

Rain/sleet/graupel/snow shower thingy going on, 42F.

Again, like the other night I don't remember any of this in the forecast today?  Once again, our state of weather and forecasting is in chaos after our 60-degree days so Wiggum Rule maybe the storm on Friday pulls a rabbit out of the hat??  I mean some of the models have a good storm track then the lack of cold air???

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

For the last couple of runs, the NAM brings another shot of snow through the area Tuesday night/Wednesday morning. Yeah, it’s the NAM at range and I haven’t looked to see if it has any support. But given 2023 so far, thought I’d mention it.

It also took our snow away for tomorrow night...puts SE PA in the screw zone soooo we toss this run :lol:

namconus_asnowd_neus_13.png

• Sad 1