• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2022-2023 OBS Thread

Ralph Wiggum

Im just trying to keep my expectations in check. Been better at this since 2012. Are all the ingredients present for a potential MECS/HECS? Yes. Does that equate to a lock? Absolutely not. We do get these looks every once in a while. Some work out, most turn out to be SECS here due to timing/spacing issues. It still takes a perfect setup to get a perfect storm, lets not forget that. Lets just see how this one plays out. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Im just trying to keep my expectations in check. Been better at this since 2012. Are all the ingredients present for a potential MECS/HECS? Yes. Does that equate to a lock? Absolutely not. We do get these looks every once in a while. Some work out, most turn out to be SECS here due to timing/spacing issues. It still takes a perfect setup to get a perfect storm, lets not forget that. Lets just see how this one plays out. 

I’m definitely excited - the last White Christmas in Philly was in 2009 - but correct that we still need a lot of features in place to get a MECS/BECS.

From Mount Holly 

This changes as we go to the end of the week. While there are
timing and placement differences with the long term guidance,
all of the long term models are indicating the potential for a
coastal storm to affect the east coast Thursday into Friday.
Each have a coastal storm developing to our south, before a
disturbance moves in from the west, bringing colder air with it
to the area, and strengthening the low as it approaches. This is
a week away, so there is plenty of uncertainty, so for now we
will stay close to the NBM for the forecast.
  • Weenie 1

Current storm is overperforming in terms of wind and rain (and tidal flooding), down here on Barnegat Bay.  First post since the blizzard last year.  This upcoming setup has me stoked.  

Hoping for a 2015/2016 winter repeat, in terms of coastals.  If any of these storms materialize into something worth documenting, I'll do so once again. 

4 hours ago, RedSky said:

Ralph's fault he said white ground is enough and look what GFS and CMC did.

And euro. Instead of rags to riches we go from riches to rags at 0z. Im sure it isnt the last big shift on the models one way of the other either. I said we wouldnt hone in on actual clustering til Saturday night/Sunday.

6z GFS basically shows some wild stuff - an active pattern of lows running along the southern CONUS and in this run, it seems to try to spin up a Miller A and then a couple of Miller Bs starting next week and into Christmas. :lol:

I guess you could say it's throwing spaghetti at a wall and one strand might stick.  I know pretty much all the models have issues in the mid-range, which IMHO, is really a shame.

floop-gfs-6z-2022121606.prateptype_cat.conus-12162022.gif

floop-gfs-6z-snow-2022121606.sn10_acc.us_ne-12162022.gif

58 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

GFS decides to go with lighter stuff up here Friday but adds a weak system on Sunday with Norman Rockwell flakes and cold for Christmas Day.

Going to see numerous more changes some good some bad. Buckle up.

I’m not HECS hunting, just hoping for snow on the ground/flakes flying for Christmas—whatever Mother Nature needs to do to make that happen is fine with me.

The concern is if late next week ends up like our current system (inland runner) it might be time to have the dreaded “atmospheric memory” talk.

Hey, at least we’re tracking :snowman:

Rain will end this AM. We have picked up 1.51" of rain and melted snow so far along with the 0.3" of snow/sleet yesterday. Of note with this event we have now exceeded our normal annual rainfall here in Chester County of 50.21". It looks likely we will now have colder than normal weather to close out 2022. The exception could be if the east coast storm next week tracks like the latest European model is showing. In that case we would have a brief warmup and change any brief snow to rain next Thursday into Friday. The models will change again many times before then.
The record high for today is 67 degrees set in 1971. The record low is also the earliest seasonal record of a below zero reading as on this date in 1917 we fell to 1 degree below zero. Record rain is the 1.80" today in 1902. Our record snow was just 2 years ago when we received 7.3" of snow.
image.png.5293db179512375dedc1aa20541a2e45.png

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but I'm not seeing major wholesale changes at 500 MB between yesterdays 12z GEFS + EPS and last nights 00z GEFS + EPS. OP's are going to swing wildly in this time range, I can't remember the last storm that didn't budge 7-8 days out... If things are still a mess come Monday though then it may be time to get worried but the ensembles are still showing big time white potential.

BTW I'm on team "get on the board" with this system. I won't be disappointed with a 2-4" type storm. The pattern is ripe for a big dog but since I can only remember 1 white Christmas in my lifetime, I would really take anything that keeps the ground white through the 25th. That still looks very favorable at this junction. 

• Like 1