Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2022-2023 OBS Thread

Ralph Wiggum

4 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

Brine guys are out and about, really don't think it's necessary. But hey, may give these guys some OT...good for them.

38F/sunny 

Not sure how it works anymore, but I know they wouldn’t brine unless it was supposed to accumulate and stay below freezing thru out the storm. That was a few years back when my Dad worked at pendot. 

4 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

Brine guys are out and about, really don't think it's necessary. But hey, may give these guys some OT...good for them.

38F/sunny 

I was just up your way around the time you posted this (at Assi Plaza) and saw the tell-tale "storm incoming" hazy deck of cirrus with sun trying to blaze through. :lol:

Actually made it up to 40 as a high (degree warmer than yesterday's high) after a low of 27.

6 minutes ago, penndotguy said:

Not sure how it works anymore, but I know they wouldn’t brine unless it was supposed to accumulate and stay below freezing thru out the storm. That was a few years back when my Dad worked at pendot. 

I saw Springfield Township did some brining earlier today. Am thinking it's more to reduce the potential for black ice with the event supposedly getting going during morning rush after a cold overnight and antecedent cold roads... plus a forecast of some kind of mix to start (including IP) for down this way.  I know they use their own trucks to do it.

Also wanted to throw the 12z Ukie in for its snow forecast for this upcoming event through to Saturday.

floop-ukmet-12z-snow-2022121412.sn10_acc.us_ne-12142022.gif

44 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Its a late developing Miller B on the EPS, and nada with the GEM and GFS 

Correct. My original point was all 3 ens and ops get snow in our area and some accumulation. Plenty of time to go either way. You should be ecstatic just to get the ground whitened. Not all systems can be a MECS.

11 minutes ago, penndotguy said:

Yeah, they were out. I was right behind the truck. Stayed far back, didn't want it splashing up on my car. (if possible)

Watching the news, laying brine closer to Philly as well which I think is a complete waste even though they are in the WWA area. (for whatever reason)

35F/Clouds

9 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

I was just up your way around the time you posted this (at Assi Plaza) and saw the tell-tale "storm incoming" hazy deck of cirrus with sun trying to blaze through. :lol:

Yeah, I live about 2 miles away.

Looking out now from my recliner and see those clouds to the W. A line of darker ones just entering my view to the far W.

35F/Clouds

15 minutes ago, penndotguy said:

Interesting, They haven't done my area 222, 422 or any of the SR roads for that matter. I know the brine is only to keep the snow from binding to the road surface. I guess times have changed. 

That's what our Streets Dept. here in Philly says - it's done to keep the snow from sticking to the road surface although it also lowers the freezing point of any melted precipitation as long as there is a decent concentration of it and no heavy rain to wash it away.

But then they also claim they don't plow here until there is supposedly 3" or more that has accumulated on the roads and often by then, the damage is already done after the accidents pile up from slipping and sliding cars.  And if you have like what is forecast here - heavy rain - (and worse, rain on either end of the event time frame) putting any type of treatment down means it all gets washed away.  So I guess it's all in the timing of it with a focus needed on getting the overpasses and bridges treated well.

24 minutes ago, penndotguy said:

Interesting, They haven't done my area 222, 422 or any of the SR roads for that matter. I know the brine is only to keep the snow from binding to the road surface. I guess times have changed. 

I remember seeing a report within the last week or two they were short snow plow drivers? When I lived in Royersford they would brine/salt the hell outta 422.

1 minute ago, anthonyweather said:

Gonna score big or be discounted for the rest of the season. The consistency the past few days is remarkable.

I think it's obvious that the snow maps just aren't gonna work in a system like this, there's gonna be lots of ptype changes as rates change and such. The GFS being colder is inherently apart of it's bias to be progressive and less amped... it's just not showing as much mid-level warming as say the NAM and RGEM (which have a bias to be too amped). I honestly don't know what to expect here in Berks. I'm at a higher elevation compared to the southern part of the county which will help.

I think it's obvious that the snow maps just aren't gonna work in a system like this, there's gonna be lots of ptype changes as rates change and such. The GFS being colder is inherently apart of it's bias to be progressive and less amped... it's just not showing as much mid-level warming as say the NAM and RGEM (which have a bias to be too amped). I honestly don't know what to expect here in Berks. I'm at a higher elevation compared to the southern part of the county which will help.

Seeing it’s showing the dynamic cooling for what it could be

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RedSky said:

GFS looks ominously better for the 23rd this could be fun

The CMC was a hair away from a bomb as well, verbatim destroys New England. It's an explosive setup with that northern stream shortwave and favorable confluence/blocking.