• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA Winter 2022/2023

Well if you missed it we did get a little snow between about 330am and 5am this morning. We received a whopping 0.2" in East Nantmeal. This is our 6th winter "event" of the season and brings our seasonal total of snow to 2.4". We finished January as the 2nd warmest first month of the year in Chester County history with an average temperature of 39.5 - behind only the 42.2 average temperature recorded in January 1932.
It looks dry for at least the next week with colder than normal temperatures through Saturday before warming to above normal once again by Sunday. Both Friday and Saturday will stay well below freezing with lows on Saturday AM in the single digits.
The record high for today is 68 degrees from 1989. Our record low is 5 below zero from 1935. Daily melted precipitation record is 2.43" from 1915. Our daily snow record was set just 2 years ago when we were in the middle of a multi-day snowstorm that resulted in the last time we recorded a 12"+ snowstorm here in Chester County PA. Between January 31 through February 3rd we recorded 16.6" of snow with a daily record of 9.3" falling on February 1st following the 4.3" on the 31st.image.png.674deb039efc7f5aaf132fe65f7dd783.png
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Well, it looks like my prediction from last week of MDT ending as the third warmest January on record was correct, just barely.  But, my prediction of us getting measurable snowfall last night was not.  Radar looked half decent through the night but it just wasn't materializing on the ground.  Absolutely nothing at my house.  Surprised to hear Nut got some out towards the northeastern part of the county.  Well, things look to be a bit boring for a while.  Should give me time to present my MU snowfall study that I've been promising for weeks but haven't yet delivered on haha.

My wife reports nothing, at least no evidence of snow in Maytown.

Also, and this might get lost because of how insignificant last night's "storm" was, but the Euro's late snow salvo failed us. Just noting that. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

My wife reports nothing, at least no evidence of snow in Maytown.

Also, and this might get lost because of how insignificant last night's "storm" was, but the Euro's late snow salvo failed us. Just noting that. 

Some places were above freezing until not long before dawn, so I guess it is possible some did snow but melted.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Well, it looks like my prediction from last week of MDT ending as the third warmest January on record was correct, just barely.  But, my prediction of us getting measurable snowfall last night was not.  Radar looked half decent through the night but it just wasn't materializing on the ground.  Absolutely nothing at my house.  Surprised to hear Nut got some out towards the northeastern part of the county.  Well, things look to be a bit boring for a while.  Should give me time to present my MU snowfall study that I've been promising for weeks but haven't yet delivered on haha.

I'm just a lucky guy....what can i say.  Was gonna take a pic, but it wasnt pic worthy to see white roofs.  Meh.  I posted obs above from my hood for any that think I'm further off my rocker than previously thought.

So I'm just gonna throw out that some Ens guidance surely doesnt look like the "end of winter".  Snowloversdelight.....hardly....but this looks like winter to me (and I was rather surprised to see this start showing up yesterday).  "See saw" temp swings looks appropriate to me.  I should be trolled for throwing a post 240 hr map out for disco, so I'll not post further beyond (which looks to warm) as thats way too far out to fret over. 

gfs-ens_z500a_namer_44.png

heres the opposing view.  Not sure how it ends up but as always stated 7 outta 10 times betting warm wins.

gem-ens_z500a_namer_44.png

1 minute ago, mahantango#1 said:

Low was 23, and with the sun and a bit of a breeze, the temperature is not in a hurry of going up quick.

I guess since were looking for ++'s in this "winter" at least we've not had a shut the shade blow torch...no matter what the temp departures show. 

When its cold, its moderately cool, and when its warm....its just plain warm.  Despite the lack of white, I'm still sorta ok w/ the reality that it's felt like winter frequently.  Just doesnt look the part.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

At this point, let's just get warm. This winter is finished.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

even though it's felt like winter often...if its not gonna snow...add me to the dung heap if Feb is gonna be more see saw and no snow.  I hate spring so lets get it over with so I can hop on the hog.  MORCH on...

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

even though it's felt like winter often...if its not gonna snow...add me to the dung heap if Feb is gonna be more see saw and no snow.  I hate spring so lets get it over with so I can hop on the hog.  MORCH on...

Easily my least favorite season. I don't like severe and I'm depressed that winter's over and is once again a long way off, so weatherwise...meh.

I do love to garden so there's that. :) 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Easily my least favorite season. I don't like severe and I'm depressed that winter's over and is once again a long way off, so weatherwise...meh.

I do love to garden so there's that. :) 

For me i think its more the winters over part.  My dog passed, so I dont worry about mud like I used to.  Only thing worse than a bad winter is a late spring and cold that shoulda been here 2 months earlier than late march/april.  Like you...if snow aint stickin....I'll take it but its more of a bittersweet pill to swallow to me. 

• Like 2