• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA Winter 2022/2023

10 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

Your cool new truck gets a lot better mileage than my small SUV.  I have a fairly powerfully 285HP motor that sucks gas like a Uhaul.  LOL.   That 33 gallon tank is great for not having to get out and gas up when cold out! 

Very true...which is great this time of the year.  The downside is that I'm now paying around $160 to fill up.  However, I get 800+ miles on a tank...lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

Very true...which is great this time of the year.  The downside is that I'm now paying around $160 to fill up.  However, I get 800+ miles on a tank...lol.

Just played the rich "Boss Hogg" like thing when people see your gas pump breaches $100 and you act like it is just pennies to you. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, pawatch said:

That map is bullshit  :o

Look at that dry slot.

58F9507F-3F37-4A33-8FEC-883DEC00DE3F.jpeg

I don't know if I've ever seen this kind of snow forecast map before.  Lots of areas (including me) forecast to receive 0.1" of snow overnight!  A few models show me receiving upwards of 0.5".  So, a nice coating should suffice.  I've got my snowboard out and ready to go...haha.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TugHillMatt said:

The past several winters, especially this one, have been hard on the hill too. Not much lake effect and lots of thaws affecting them up there too. Many quitting the sled hobby because the winters have been so poor. The economy of the Tug is taking a beating.

yeah my sledding (or chasing snow to do it) is not what it used to be....TONS of miles in vehicles towing trailers n sleds to get some miles in.  I spread my love of motorsports out to include a HD Street Glide and a Kawi Teryx UTV that get plenty more chances at being used.  I wish it werent that way, but like you suggest, many of us are just not putting what we did into the sleds anymore.  

Tugs/upstate NY economy was hurting before the lean years as the taxes up there knocked the stuffing outta local economies and small towns.  Throw some bad snow years onto lean times (oh and a pandemic)....and the pic is not so rosey.  

• Like 1

bee dealing with covid after taken care of my dad with it. So out of the loop last 2 days or so But I could swear our high during the artic blast was forecasted to be 21 and low of 2-5 now it says high of 30 and low of only 15 then back to like 45 next day? still cold but its a big change for just 1 day

Here are some eye-poppers from State College NWS. I wish they had stated the departures for all the places. January 2023 was quite a month when it came to weather. Unfortunately things didn't go as people here hoped:

Williamsport had an average 
temperature of 37.5 degrees, which was the second warmest January on record. Record was 40.2 degrees in 1932.

Harrisburg had an average temperature of 39.7 degrees, which was the third warmest January on record. Record
was 42.5 degrees in 1932, and 39.8 degrees in 1950.

Altoona had an average temperature of 37.3 degrees, which was 8.9 degrees above normal.

Bradford had an average temperature of 32.9 degrees, which was 9.8 degrees above normal.

Johnstown had an average temperature of 34.6 degrees, which was 8.3 degrees above normal.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, CoralRed said:

Here are some eye-poppers from State College NWS. I wish they had stated the departures for all the places. January 2023 was quite a month when it came to weather. Unfortunately things didn't go as people here hoped:

temperature of 37.5 degrees, which was the second warmest January on record. Record was 40.2 degrees in 1932.

Harrisburg had an average temperature of 39.7 degrees, which was the third warmest January on record. Record

Altoona had an average temperature of 37.3 degrees, which was 8.9 degrees above normal.

Bradford had an average temperature of 32.9 degrees, which was 9.8 degrees above normal.

Johnstown had an average temperature of 34.6 degrees, which was 8.3 degrees above normal.

My average for January was 37.1

1 hour ago, CoralRed said:

At least it’s not as bad as 1932…

No jet traffic yet at MDT back then…

I wonder what caused it? Bad pattern?….It certainly wasn’t something else…

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Just a reminder for all of the alarmists…

MDT had below normal temperature average for the month of December.

We all want snow Blizz...we really do. At least I think all of us are snow lovers.

However, the weather will be the weather. And this is a weather forum...all types of weather should be open for free discussion. If this was a record or near record snowy winter...or even just a cold winter, believe me, we'd be talking about it. But it's not. It's been very warm with very little snow. So, as weather enthusiasts, that's what we have to talk about.

I won't put others accountable for their posts, but I'll freely share my thoughts - I'm not going to stop talking about whatever weather happens to be occurring. And if we torch the next few weeks, I'm going to talk about it. And if we're challenging records, I'm going to embrace it. I love extreme weather...sure, I'd rather it be extreme on the cold and snowy side and will celebrate WHEN that happens. Rain, snow, warmth, cold, etc...it's all weather. 

Go back in the thread to the few days surrounding Christmas. There were a TON of posts "celebrating" the cold snap. Again, not speaking for others but the posts spoke for themselves. Please, keep on hunting the next snow...you are free and encouraged to do so. Meanwhile, I'll continue to discuss the weather we're dealing with now. And I'm going to enjoy doing so. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Too much concrete & jet traffic.

The record books don’t care about CXY.

I chuckle when CXY gets brought into the disco, cause we all know they run warm.  Even when the mean truly is warm - it just skews the reality.  Thank goodness most here know it. 

14 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Good deal. Didn't seem like anything recordable fell north of the M/D line. 

underperformer.......

shocked arent ya?

BUT........it did snow.  My wife said "look at the roofs - it snowed".  My response was underwhelming.

also traffax was stating Adamstown and east was "slick" w/ numerous accidents into berks 

edit - 17501

01 07:53 N 7 10.00 Fair CLR 28 16     60% 21 NA 30.27 1025.3      
01 06:53 N 8 10.00 Fair CLR 30 16 33 30 56% 22 NA 30.24 1024.3      
01 05:53 NW 8 10.00 Overcast OVC100 32 19     59% 25 NA 30.22 1023.6      
01 04:53 NW 8 10.00 Overcast OVC090 33 23     66% 26 NA 30.20 1023.1      
01 03:53 NW 5 3.00 Light Snow Fog/Mist SCT048 SCT065 OVC080 33 29     85% 28 NA 30.18 1022.2      
01 02:53 W 5 9.00 Overcast OVC047 33 28     82% 28 NA 30.19 1022.6      
01 01:53 Calm 10.00 Overcast OVC041 33 28     82% NA NA 30.18 1022.4      
01 00:53 Calm 10.00 Overcast OVC043 33 28 35 33 82% NA NA 30.18 1022.4  
  • Thanks 1

Well, it looks like my prediction from last week of MDT ending as the third warmest January on record was correct, just barely.  But, my prediction of us getting measurable snowfall last night was not.  Radar looked half decent through the night but it just wasn't materializing on the ground.  Absolutely nothing at my house.  Surprised to hear Nut got some out towards the northeastern part of the county.  Well, things look to be a bit boring for a while.  Should give me time to present my MU snowfall study that I've been promising for weeks but haven't yet delivered on haha.

• Like 2