• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA Winter 2022/2023

I've never (I don't think...I hate using the word "never") experienced such low visibility with sleet falling. Can't be over 1/2 mile and is likely a good bit less. Windy, lightning, thunder, and sleet. All surfaces are covered. And...getting all this sleet will likely help us keep power during this round at least. 

• Like 2

Steady light snow now in Etown.  

No cavage but glad i nailed the forecast from 5 days out.  :lol:

Still think tomorrow has enough potential to do the same thing as boundary really is stationary and another piece of energy is close enough by to our south to throw up enough qpf to get a "snow on snow" event here.  This always looked like an overruning set up from afar (last week) and thats why i suggested to keep an eye out for norther adjustments as we got closer. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Steady light snow now in Etown.  

No cavage but glad i nailed the forecast from 5 days out.  :lol:

Still think tomorrow has enough potential to do the same thing as boundary really is stationary and another piece of energy is close enough by to our south to throw up enough qpf to get a "snow on snow" event here.  This always looked like an overruning set up from afar (last week) and thats why i suggested to keep an eye out for norther adjustments as we got closer. 

I concur.  The 18z HRRR likes my .1" estimate for the LSV, so there's always that ha.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, philliesmd said:

My daughter is in Dallas for a meeting and said the same thing a few hours ago. Worried about getting out of there tomorrow afternoon.

Best wishes to her. I'm fortunate that I'm down here until Friday. It's a real mess - I think the airport in Little Rock is still open but most of the flights have been cancelled. Flying is stressful enough (I very nearly missed my connection down here from Chicago due to delays de-icing) and add in the bad weather and it becomes a nightmare.

Sincerely hope she can get out safely and return home as soon as possible. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Best wishes to her. I'm fortunate that I'm down here until Friday. It's a real mess - I think the airport in Little Rock is still open but most of the flights have been cancelled. Flying is stressful enough (I very nearly missed my connection down here from Chicago due to delays de-icing) and add in the bad weather and it becomes a nightmare.

Sincerely hope she can get out safely and return home as soon as possible. 

Thanks. I know when I checked DFW earlier today they were down to two active runways. Now it looks like they running single runway operations.

Stay safe as well. 

https://www.fly.faa.gov/adv/adv_otherdis.jsp?advn=61&adv_date=01312023&facId=DFW&title=ATCSCC ADVZY 061 DFW/ZFW 01/31/2023 CDM GROUND DELAY PROGRAM&titleDate=01/31/2023

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Mrs. Snowman (that's a nod to @Itstrainingtime tehe) reports steady light snow on the home front.  Radar looks half decent. Might be able to get .1" in the books before we even get to the overnight "potential".  Hey, at least it looks like winter ha. 

You can now add the HH NAM into the mix as it shows a touch of snow for us southern tier folks as we've been suggesting.  I was happy to see snow today and I'll be happy once again tomorrow (if I get outta bed as it's overnight).  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Atomixwx said:

Picked up about an inch overnight.

I will assume I am the "haves" of this subforum and I can promise you, I'm probably nowhere close to 50% up here.

I have seen some bad winters in my time between living in the Ridge and Valley Huntingdon, the Cumberland and Lower Susquehanna valleys, and now whatever you want to call this place I live now, but this one kinda beats all.

I'd probably be raging hourly on Blizz's optimism and calling him a wishcaster at this point if I still lived in Palmyra.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Not like we’re setting a high bar with this comparison or anything but 2019-20 was the worst and this one’s already a couple inches better than that one was here. I didn’t have a single snowfall over like 2.2” in that winter. At least this winter has some part of the subforum with some kind of “haves”, which it seems in comparison to average the UNV region has fared the best. UNV at 19.9” is only 2” below normal for the season to date. 

Climate.thumb.png.c68554ab01b6b705994204f36e7f0d4c.png

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Not like we’re setting a high bar with this comparison or anything but 2019-20 was the worst and this one’s already a couple inches better than that one was here. I didn’t have a single snowfall over like 2.2” in that winter. At least this winter has some part of the subforum with some kind of “haves”, which it seems in comparison to average the UNV region has fared the best. UNV at 19.9” is only 2” below normal for the season to date. 

Climate.thumb.png.c68554ab01b6b705994204f36e7f0d4c.png

MDT has also already surpassed 19/20 but many of its sub towns are still well below their 19/20 totals.  Lanco is an obvious one but over here I am less that 4" total right now at 800'.    MDT is almost 6".  Paltry but better than 19-20 full season total. 

11 minutes ago, Cashtown_Coop said:

I was trying lol.   I don’t know the area very well but the exit off 30 is spelled Hallam and when I turn onto shoe house rd I noticed I was in Hellam twp.    

https://www.ydr.com/story/news/history/blogs/york-town-square/2010/07/18/hallam-borough-hellam-township/31565435/

17 hours ago, MAG5035 said:

Wow I didn’t realize Syracuse was in that bad of shape. What about Watertown? I’d imagine they’re running well above normal being a SW flow recipient off of Ontario. It illustrates the lack of NW or WNW flow setups we’ve had during favorable LES periods this winter, which I’ve felt has seemed to be more of a thing the last several winters. The Laurel’s down here benefit from NW flow when it comes to LES, which I’m sure C-NY does when it comes to non or post synoptic snowfall. I did make a post about this earlier this winter but the Co-op site on Laurel Summit, near the 7 Springs resort has had one average winter since 2013-14 with the rest of them being below average.

image.png.16963e170b7b73842c4e946c297521ca.png

That includes 2014-2015, which was the last truly consistent cold winter we’ve had in recent winters when it came to the heart of the winter. 

Yep, the NW and WNW flows have been extremely minimal the past several winters. These SW flows keep benefitting Watertown and especially Buffalo. Syracuse averages almost 130 inches...and in the 4 winters I've been here, we haven't gotten near the 100 inch mark. Each winter it has gotten worse. With the synoptic track being crap and no cold air available, we're left yearning for more. Most of the short cold spells have included very dry air. It's been quite frustrating as nothing has been going our way.

11 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

I personally do not go to any other boards other than the MA and occasionally Pitt and a rare stop into OT.   So, I did not realize some of you left though I did notice not seeing your name as much.   I understand the reasoning behind it though. It is part of the story of how the other boards began to fade away including the Usenet groups when neweather became neweather moderated.  

The SW troughing is on our minds a lot.   It works to continue promoting the SE Ridge pushing the tracks too far west for pure snow here.  When we do get a break from the ridge, the track too often does what it is doing this week with the flows totally separating and leaving the MA and Northeast fairly dry.  

At the end of it, it leaves boards like this thriving on talk of anomalous weather records which unfortunately works to set up angst with some people.  Case in point, our near record setting positive anomaly Jan temps have alleviated fears of mass heating oil shortages and people going into debt to pay for home heating (electric and oil.)   A topic that is directly related to weather.  Yet, some (in all forums) will take offense to talk like that because it does not fit the mantra that we should be only talk about (pretend this January) snow and cold.  You mentioned models and the fun model chasing, chasing storms, has really turned sour this year.   

Yes, lots of bantering and berating each other over winter reports instead. Haha. I haven't stepped foot in OT since last May, as I was tired of the toxicity and the way it affected my mood. Quit cold turkey. lol

Perhaps March will end up our snowiest month?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, pasnownut said:

no like button being hit here pal.  I had friends on "the hill" this weekend, and am waiting for the sled damage assessments to come rollin in.  Theres enough to ride, but with little base....ouch.  Otoh, I always say that w/ sleds, "thats why they call em wear items" (hyfax/carbides etc).  Really feeling for the establishments that rely on winter enthusiasts for their support.  

The past several winters, especially this one, have been hard on the hill too. Not much lake effect and lots of thaws affecting them up there too. Many quitting the sled hobby because the winters have been so poor. The economy of the Tug is taking a beating.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, CarlislePaWx said:

That's so funny.  When I first looked at the hood (before seeing the Chevy logo on the grill) I also thought it looked like a huge Ram logo.  Then I wondered if I had ever seen a hood with any logo.  Btw, I'm the proud owner of a Ram 2020 Limited in Delmonico Red.  And, it's a Turbo Diesel.  I got a great deal on it last year down in your neck of the woods at Buchanan Auto Park.  I had always wanted a pickup that was loaded and was also a Diesel (but I didn't need/want a Cummins).  I bought it for comfortable driving, etc., although the bed has served me very well more times than I thought I would use it.  Oh, I forgot to mention that it also came with a 33 gallon tank, and gets 31 mpg when all-highway (and not towing anything).

My ole Chevy has been real dependable. But I was kicking around the idea of getting a  Dodge 

But Thanks Bubb It looks like I have a Dodge in disguise  :lol: :lol:

• Haha 2