Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA Winter 2022/2023

13 minutes ago, paweather said:

Next week is going to be fun!

Cold air will be pressing. The timing of the waves will be important to our snow chances. If there is too much cold push, the precip will be suppressed. If not enough cold press, the waves will cut west. If we get lucky, maybe we can score a few events in early February.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Cold air will be pressing. The timing of the waves will be important to our snow chances. If there is too much cold push, the precip will be suppressed. If not enough cold press, the waves will cut west. If we get lucky, maybe we can score a few events in early February.

Yeah think we have a shot next week. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I feel bad everytime wind comes up, you take the brunt.  Ha.  I hit 42 (from the worst direction,  s/e) today.  

I def live in a wind tunnel when it’s from the W/NW. if it’s east or south, it’s usually not as strong as others. Hope I don’t lose more shingles tomorrow. 

• Like 1

40 and cloudy this AM.  The snow is 90% gone.  Warm temps took out most of the rest last night.  The GFS should settle down the MA crying game for a few hours.  Two chances of snow next week on the 6Z.  One of the chances is deflected south by the PV sliding (Blizz mentioned that yesterday).  Took a Paweather ISS shot to show that.  On the really LR side, the GFS has a 70 showing up the following week as the US is evacuated of cold.   Yuck. 

image.png.af756431724113ff6d4d27f931418262.png

3 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

40 and cloudy this AM.  The snow is 90% gone.  Warm temps took out most of the rest last night.  The GFS should settle down the MA crying game for a few hours.  Two chances of snow next week on the 6Z.  One of the chances is deflected south by the PV sliding (Blizz mentioned that yesterday).  Took a Paweather ISS shot to show that.  On the really LR side, the GFS has a 70 showing up the following week as the US is evacuated of cold.   Yuck. 

image.png.af756431724113ff6d4d27f931418262.png

If we get 2 good snowstorms next week, I am good with a warm up for a week. Many forecasters are saying the pattern should improve with blocking possibly coming back for the second half of February into March.

• Like 1

Despite getting .67" of rain with temps near 40 last evening, I woke up to piles of snow left in the neighborhood from shoveling efforts as well as some spotty lawn coverage. Probably similar to Bubbler - maybe 10-20% coverage? I only had to travel 2 miles south on my way to work this morning to find no trace of evidence that it had snowed yesterday. Maytown clearly was just inside the "win" zone. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Atomixwx said:

Note the date: February 5...

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

It did NOT have much if any ensemble support; however, next week (especially as the week goes on) probably will provide a couple of opportunities, which at this point is what we want. 

Chances. We can't snow without realistic chances. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, canderson said:

I def live in a wind tunnel when it’s from the W/NW. if it’s east or south, it’s usually not as strong as others. Hope I don’t lose more shingles tomorrow. 

In my area, just west of the Laurels, at the base of the mountain, wind is a major problem as well.  Just yesterday, we had numerous trees down and multiple power outages.  Just about anytime a storm cuts to my west, the southerly winds gusts (even sustained) are very strong. 

• Like 2

After our largest snow event (0.8") of the year here in the philly burbs of Chester County PA yesterday turned to rain we ended up with a combined melted snow equivalent and rain of 0.94". We are now running 0.39" above normal in the rain department for 2023...however our seasonal snow of 2.1" is 12.6" below our normal snow totals through yesterday. Of note over in Philadelphia and New York City they have both yet to receive any measurable snow this season. NY has an excellent chance to set a new record for longest periods between snowfalls. Philly has a long way to go as they are only at 320 days with the record being the snowless winter of 1972-3 as they experienced 616 days between snowfalls.
We are well on our way to a Top 5 warmest January here in Chester County but we will finish well below the warmest January way back in 1932. Above normal temps look to continue through the end of the month (next Tuesday) with our next chance at showers likely by Tuesday night.
The record high for today is 75 degrees set in 1950. The record low is 1 below zero from 1922. The daily precipitation and snow record is 1.40" and 14.0" of snow that was part of the 2 day snowstorm that resulted in 16.0" of snow across the county ending on the 27th back in 2011.
image.png.abaf82c9a066d9211a170c177fa0bea5.png
  • Like 5

13 minutes ago, ChescoWx said:
After our largest snow event (0.8") of the year here in the philly burbs of Chester County PA yesterday turned to rain we ended up with a combined melted snow equivalent and rain of 0.94". We are now running 0.39" above normal in the rain department for 2023...however our seasonal snow of 2.1" is 12.6" below our normal snow totals through yesterday. Of note over in Philadelphia and New York City they have both yet to receive any measurable snow this season. NY has an excellent chance to set a new record for longest periods between snowfalls. Philly has a long way to go as they are only at 320 days with the record being the snowless winter of 1972-3 as they experienced 616 days between snowfalls.
We are well on our way to a Top 5 warmest January here in Chester County but we will finish well below the warmest January way back in 1932. Above normal temps look to continue through the end of the month (next Tuesday) with our next chance at showers likely by Tuesday night.
The record high for today is 75 degrees set in 1950. The record low is 1 below zero from 1922. The daily precipitation and snow record is 1.40" and 14.0" of snow that was part of the 2 day snowstorm that resulted in 16.0" of snow across the county ending on the 27th back in 2011.
image.png.abaf82c9a066d9211a170c177fa0bea5.png

Always appreciate reading your detailed observations in the Philly thread - thank you for sharing them here. 

• Like 2