• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA Winter 2022/2023

I think until there is a giant shakeup in the Pacific, our weather is our weather. There doesn't seem to be a lot of difference so far in the "triple dip," and if anything, at least in my neck of the nape, nape of the woods, it's been warmer and less snowy than the previous seasons.

The cold, this coming front notwithstanding, has been progged to be impressive, but mutes as it arrives and it's cold but not too cold, and sometimes it's still close to average. The warm is warm, but not torch. We're kinda just... luke.

And until the big change happens, whenever that is, not a long else will.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, paweather said:

Let's hope something changes the tune. As Training pointed out we have had some January duds. 

No denying bud.  Just stating that there is no big signal for anomalous warmth.  Obviously we are anxious for the goods to come, but its not a close the blinds for 3 week kind deal.  Thats all.  

• Like 1

Allow me to digress for a moment - really having a mixed emotions kind of day. Today my work team is celebrating the holidays with a catered luncheon, a day that in the past I've always looked forward to with excitement. Unfortunately, the day began with some terribly sad news.

I "met" #32 back in the early 90s at Beaver Stadium. I was at the USC-PSU game with a friend of a friend kind of thing, and he was telling me about these very special seats that he had. (season ticket holder) At any rate, a few minutes prior to kickoff, here come Franco into the row directly in front of us. In fact, Franco's seat was directly in front of me. When PSU scored, Franco stood, turned, and gave me a high five. I thought that was kinda cool. A moment I'll never forget. A really, really good person whose time came far too soon. 

RIP #32. You will be missed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 6

1 minute ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Allow me to digress for a moment - really having a mixed emotions kind of day. Today my work team is celebrating the holidays with a catered luncheon, a day that in the past I've always looked forward to with excitement. Unfortunately, the day began with some terribly sad news.

I "met" #32 back in the early 90s at Beaver Stadium. I was at the USC-PSU game with a friend of a friend kind of thing, and he was telling me about these very special seats that he had. (season ticket holder) At any rate, a few minutes prior to kickoff, here come Franco into the row directly in front of us. In fact, Franco's seat was directly in front of me. When PSU scored, Franco stood, turned, and gave me a high five. I thought that was kinda cool. A moment I'll never forget. A really, really good person whose time came far too soon. 

Beautifully said.  This is consuming a lot of the talk at work here today.  And to think today is also Joe Pa's birthday, for whom Franco was one of the greatest advocates.  It's also the week Franco was to have his jersey retired along with the 50th anniversary celebration of the immaculate reception.  Just awful timing.  So sad and sudden.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I was at an event with him the week before Thanksgiving - I have no affiliation of course like anyone from PA but he was a nice man. Very sad news, especially on this anniversary of the catch. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I did not realize this happened until your post. I read the ESPN article that said no reason was given...was he ill in any manner, beyond normal age issues,  if anyone knows? 

9 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I did not realize this happened until your post. I read the ESPN article that said no reason was given...was he ill in any manner, beyond normal age issues,  if anyone knows? 

Not that I know of. I do know that he was giving public tours of the Steelers Hall of Fame yesterday afternoon. 

Correction - there's a picture online of him giving a family a tour yesterday afternoon at the Heinz History Center. 

• Thanks 1

Franco and Lydel were freshman my freshman year at PSU.  Got to see them both play in person all 4 years.  What a pair of backs!  Was just commenting with an old classmate about how the new pair of frosh backs reminded us of those two  

Of course, Franco went on to future greatness.  His early death is a tradgedy.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

GFS brings precip in a little too late tomorrow AM for areas east of the river to see any white...though it's still showing a decent burst of snow on Friday. 

It's accum map for part one seems very inflated like many other systems this season so far.  I am nothing thinking I get 5-7"

• Like 2

Just in time for the Christmas holiday, Roundtop has announced it's opening on Saturday for the season. They've made a lot of snow the past few nights, and they'll be blowing 24/7 starting Friday right on through the weekend. They should have a really good base to mitigate the warm spell approaching New Year's. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Just in time for the Christmas holiday, Roundtop has announced it's opening on Saturday for the season. They've made a lot of snow the past few nights, and they'll be blowing 24/7 starting Friday right on through the weekend. They should have a really good base to mitigate the warm spell approaching New Year's. 

Liberty is opening Sunday

• Thanks 1

I foresee less than a half inch total for my neck of the woods.  Nothing on the front end but I do think we see our first flakes fly on the back-end frontal action, albeit with limited accumulations due to the rapidly drying atmospheric layers.  Not out of the question that some in here experience brief blizzard conditions with the backend snows and howling winds.  Cheers to those in the money.  As always, I hope to be wrong.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Atomixwx said:

Until about two hours ago, my attitude towards Franco Harris was to curse him for a ball he never caught. This attitude was always met with some hesitation because I grew up in the shadow of Mount Nittany. This one kinda sucks.

Well…he caught it…so maybe you can let that part go too.

FD61D624-57B2-4096-89F3-C0D769A38704.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

Wind Chill Watch. I've never seen that before. Wind Chill values around -25.

Does this have to eventually be upgraded to a Wind Chill Warning?

Does it have to be? No. Just like when you have a winter storm watch and they disappointingly turn it into a winter weather advisory.

1 minute ago, Bubbler86 said:

I seriously did not realize it..,I know about Franco and his HOF career but I somehow missed this.  You are a lot younger than I.  I will search out a youtube on it. 

Franco played his last game in a Steeler uniform before I was even born and this hits me harder than I thought it would. Legendary player, legendary person. 

• Like 2