Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December Banter 2022

George BM

Just now, Prestige Worldwide said:

This forum is getting close to an implosion.  Snow deprived members are about to lose it.  There is no snow on the horizon- so just unplug and enjoy the weather outside.  Acceptance is an important stage in the cycle 

I am actually looking forward to a week of "warm". Just hope it is mostly dry.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Prestige Worldwide said:

This forum is getting close to an implosion.  Snow deprived members are about to lose it.  There is no snow on the horizon- so just unplug and enjoy the weather outside.  Acceptance is an important stage in the cycle 

IMO it's no worse than normal. It's mostly the usual suspects trolling, the usual suspects having meltdowns, and the usual folks providing good (even if not good for snow lovers) data. We go through this every year - by the time early April rolls around we'll be back into our cordial crew around here that doesn't spend 23 hours a day picking fights and fitting every stereotype about an online forum

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

IMO it's no worse than normal. It's mostly the usual suspects trolling, the usual suspects having meltdowns, and the usual folks providing good (even if not good for snow lovers) data. We go through this every year - by the time early April rolls around we'll be back into our cordial crew around here that doesn't spend 23 hours a day picking fights and fitting every stereotype about an online forum

Like clockwork huh?

57 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Today there seems to be just one poster in particular instigating the discourse (and he won't quit either. I get the feeling this goes beyond just snow to the whole subject of warming in general)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Rough last few months here with Dad passing and girlfriend moving on, but I will always survive and be better for it.

And Christmas will always be my favorite season.

This can be a real crappy time of year when life's gravity digs in and holds your spirit down. Standing up to it is all you can do and seeing your post made me feel good about that part.

I've always found peace during high stakes periods by simply being present in the moment. I constantly ask myself "what do I see? what do I hear?" instead of "OMyEffinG I cant stop thinking about this crap! GAH!"

Just watching something like a squirrel eating breakfast or pleasant sunrise reminds me how much more there is out there than human emotional drama. It's impossible to avoid and not participate in at times but it's irrelevant to what is really going on "out there". 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Rough last few months here with Dad passing and girlfriend moving on, but I will always survive and be better for it.

And Christmas will always be my favorite season.

image.jpeg.7577cd38597377444cd348477a156131.jpeg

So sorry to hear. That is rough. Wishing you a better and brighter 2023.

I find weather can be soothing (ironically, for all the pain it causes weenies) in the same ways Bob Chill talked about nature and being present in the moment. It simply "is". Years ago an acquaintance who was not a weather weenie per se but was an avid sailor/boatbuilder gave me a metaphor that I really like...if you are on a boat in a storm, far from land, you just try to "weather" the storm. In hard times I have thought about that...I don't have to do anything right now but weather this. Because weather always changes and this will pass.

• Like 3

It’s cool it’s not going to snow. The next few weeks initially look like a complete shutout for all on the EC w perhaps the lone exception being far NNE. As long as it’s dry, it’ll be a great time to get outside for hiking, biking, yard maintenance, having some fires by the pit in the evenings, etc. Take advantage of the lull.

3 hours ago, baldereagle said:

/\  This x 1000.

Excellent observations, so true!

Staying out of the emotional morass in which most of humanity wallows…. A major key to unlock happiness.

I spent plenty of time there like everyone else. Transcending away from that is probably one of life's most important challenges. It's optional and many never get there.  It happened to me by accident but it would have happened no matter what i think. I've always felt a little detached from all the fake reality humans like to (almost exclusively) focus on. But it takes a long time to break the conditioning. The material world is very efficient at holding people back from inner peace too. Once I let that go, I never looked back 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Kmlwx said:

Well, I can certainly do without the trolling and whining for sure!  But I do appreciate the good analysis and commentary (even debate to an extent!) even as we're not looking at anything wintry for awhile.  It's the tearing of hair and gnashing of teeth and "it's over, this winter sucks!"  that makes it unreadable, as you imply.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

This can be a real crappy time of year when life's gravity digs in and holds your spirit down. Standing up to it is all you can do and seeing your post made me feel good about that part.

I've always found peace during high stakes periods by simply being present in the moment. I constantly ask myself "what do I see? what do I hear?" instead of "OMyEffinG I cant stop thinking about this crap! GAH!"

Just watching something like a squirrel eating breakfast or pleasant sunrise reminds me how much more there is out there than human emotional drama. It's impossible to avoid and not participate in at times but it's irrelevant to what is really going on "out there". 

Agree.  I do this with my photography which has become quite a hobby over the years.  Sure, I'd love to have a chance to get pictures of a nice snow event again, sometime.  But even without that, there's a surprising amount in nature I find interesting to take photos of at this time of year.

• Like 3

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic