Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December Banter 2022

George BM

30 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

One of THE best! I mean he is a gold standard and no one did it quite like he did. Impeccable is a word for it! Impeccable and inspired--to the point where he had his own unique sound that he produced from his choirs.

Man I'm just learning how to really conduct a choir (been taking my bumps and bruises, but it's always worth it!)--always look to folks like that that really know their stuff and work the "magic"!

He definitely is the Gold Standard for a chorale orchestra!  When I was in Atlanta in the late 1990s into the 2000s, as I probably mentioned before, I had the good fortune to hear the ASO and chorus do a Christmas concert, and was able to hear the chorus for Beethoven's 9th.  Though he wasn't there anymore (sadly passed away in 1999), you could STILL hear his influence on that magnificent choir!

And on the subject of orchestras and Beethoven (who else!!)...I have a recording of all of his symphonies and piano concertos, recorded when George Szell was director of the Cleveland Orchestra.  And a copy of the 9th when Christoph von Dohnanyi was music director.  My dad gave me those years ago.  He was a BIG orchestra buff, especially of the Cleveland Orchestra, and heard both Szell and von Dohnanyi when they conducted.  But he couldn't stand Lorin Maazel (he was director after Szell and before von Dohnanyi), found him a travesty in his interpretations, and damn near stopped going to the orchestra during those years.  Anyhow, Szell and von Dohnanyi are both amazing!!!  It's interesting comparing von Dohnanyi to Szell for the 9th...both are very fine in their own right; von Dohnanyi's version, however, has a bit more "pep" to it I find (especially the 2nd movement).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

He definitely is the Gold Standard for a chorale orchestra!  When I was in Atlanta in the late 1990s into the 2000s, as I probably mentioned before, I had the good fortune to hear the ASO and chorus do a Christmas concert, and was able to hear the chorus for Beethoven's 9th.  Though he wasn't there anymore (sadly passed away in 1999), you could STILL hear his influence on that magnificent choir!

And on the subject of orchestras and Beethoven (who else!!)...I have a recording of all of his symphonies and piano concertos, recorded when George Szell was director of the Cleveland Orchestra.  And a copy of the 9th when Christoph von Dohnanyi was music director.  My dad gave me those years ago.  He was a BIG orchestra buff, especially of the Cleveland Orchestra, and heard both Szell and von Dohnanyi when they conducted.  But he couldn't stand Lorin Maazel (he was director after Szell and before von Dohnanyi), found him a travesty in his interpretations, and damn near stopped going to the orchestra during those years.  Anyhow, Szell and von Dohnanyi are both amazing!!!  It's interesting comparing von Dohnanyi to Szell for the 9th...both are very fine in their own right; von Dohnanyi's version, however, has a bit more "pep" to it I find (especially the 2nd movement).

Man that is awesome--to be able to still feel his interpretation even after he had passed on! That's when you know it was a truly special gift.

Haha Your dad sounds like he really knew music! Chuckling at the bit about him almost boycotting the orchestra because of that conductor, lol But hey, I kinda get it! And some conductors are better with some composers than others...I've heard some questionable Beethoven interpretations where I'm almost yelling at the radio/phone like it's a football game or something, lol (like when conductors interpret as if they took a bottle of Nyquil...but that's another rant)

Dohnanyi and Szell...I'll have to sit down and compare the two! Beethoven's 9th is of such depth that you can get a variety of intperetations (some good some ehhhh...). That balancing act between the classical and romantic--that is the awesome challenge of interpreting Beethoven :lol:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Kay said:

for @Maestrobjwa@Always in Zugzwangand anyone else who might like a beautiful wintry piece.

Ah very nice--thanks for sharing! Ya know, the opening chord progression sounds just like The Young and the Restless, lol 

There was a meme I saw where it was talking about not seeing his work on a Christmas program: "I can't believe it's not Rutter!"

Ya know, John Rutter is as successful as a composer can be in this day and age--how his work is cemented in the choral repertoire is really quite something!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Ah very nice--thanks for sharing! Ya know, the opening chord progression sounds just like The Young and the Restless, lol 

There was a meme I saw where it was talking about not seeing his work on a Christmas program: "I can't believe it's not Rutter!"

Ya know, John Rutter is as successful as a composer can be in this day and age--how his work is cemented in the choral repertoire is really quite something!

Lol at the meme :lol: yes...everyone loves Rutter. Especially singers.

17 hours ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Man that is awesome--to be able to still feel his interpretation even after he had passed on! That's when you know it was a truly special gift.

Haha Your dad sounds like he really knew music! Chuckling at the bit about him almost boycotting the orchestra because of that conductor, lol But hey, I kinda get it! And some conductors are better with some composers than others...I've heard some questionable Beethoven interpretations where I'm almost yelling at the radio/phone like it's a football game or something, lol (like when conductors interpret as if they took a bottle of Nyquil...but that's another rant)

Dohnanyi and Szell...I'll have to sit down and compare the two! Beethoven's 9th is of such depth that you can get a variety of intperetations (some good some ehhhh...). That balancing act between the classical and romantic--that is the awesome challenge of interpreting Beethoven :lol:

Haha, well, he really didn't care for Maazel at all!  My dad definitely knew his music.  I don't think he would have really boycotted going to the orchestra, he more or less "put up" with Maazel at the time.  His feeling was that the Cleveland Orchestra was still so well disciplined and good, despite him!  As I understand it, Lorin Maazel was controversial and not overly liked at least initially but he sort of improved over time before he left.

23 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Just amusing/bitter to see northern MS and western TN with a white christmas and...ah well. More than 50% of the country but not the mid-altantic. Brutal. 

I guess we should take solace knowing that SNE also got skunked. That really doesn't work for me lol.

Any car experts?  Have a 2020 Honda Odyssey.  Tried to start it tonight and nothing.  All lights and accessories work fine.  Won’t take a jump.  Push button ignition if that matters.  

I am visiting relatives in NW Pennsylvania where the temps got down to -6 last night.  Maybe it’s just too cold for it to start.  

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic