Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December Banter 2022

George BM

2 hours ago, MillvilleWx said:

Almost fully recovered from my first bout with Covid. 0/10 don't recommend

Good news is Paxlovid is amazing if you can take it while having Covid. The headaches and fatigue were brutal. The cinderblock feeling in the chest also was not appreciated. And trying to mess with my blood glucose levels being diabetic. Overall, dissatisfied customer. Will be speaking with the manager....

Glad you’re feeling better! Paxlovid helped us too.

• Like 1

Responding to @H2O comment about running the A/C on Xmas (I have forgotten how to transfer responses between threads)  Xmas 2015 was right at 80 °F in NC.  And it wasn't just a one or two day thing either.  I think there was a 10 day period where we didn't go below 60 °F.  And it was quite humid as well.  Not my favorite holiday memory.  Overall December 2015 shattered the record for the warmest December on record.  To give you even more idea, if December 2015 had been a November, it would have been well above average for Novembers. 

New Years Day for this year had a high of 79 °C at RDU and was also quite humid.  That warm spell wasn't as prolonged as Xmas 2015 but still a mood-killer.  For some reason since 2015 the 10 or so days from the solstice to New Years have been mostly a horror show of torches, with the notable exception of 2017.  But even then it was warm before Xmas.  Xmas day was chilly and then the bottom fell out afterwards.

Seeing all of the discussion of some crazy cold makes me desperately want a PDII type cold smoke event, low teens or even single digits with heavy snow falling. I can't really remember the last time we had a WSW+ type event with temperatures in the teens for most of the event, maybe Jan 2019?

Mom brag post. 

The older Ms. J is a Comm Film Studies major at AU. In one of her classes one of her last projects was to put together a short film. She called today to tell us that not only did she get a 100 on it, but that her professor gave her an extra 5 points as it was so well done! 

https://youtu.be/YWj8xWcGJVc

• Like 12

5 hours ago, Mrs.J said:

Mom brag post. 

The older Ms. J is a Comm Film Studies major at AU. In one of her classes one of her last projects was to put together a short film. She called today to tell us that not only did she get a 100 on it, but that her professor gave her an extra 5 points as it was so well done! 

https://youtu.be/YWj8xWcGJVc

That was wonderful. And Molly approves.

image.jpeg.965c9fe9ef859b261f366ba7bb6cc2d7.jpeg

• Like 9

My own personal timeframe for when I hope to see some solid chances showing up on the op runs is the 15th. If the cold and the little sn don't start showing up with some consistency at that point then for me...that is the first real sign we might be in for a challenging winter

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

That was my childhood, waiting for 803 to be called.  

10 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

My K-8 was #253, high school was #322.

Or watching TV and suddenly hearing that "emergency" tone with the crawler at the bottom showing school and other closures...sitting there on the edge waiting to see that your school was listed!

Yeah, old enough to remember that!  And listening to the radio stations that gave that information too! :oldman:

(ETA:  And I'm reminded of something a friend told me years ago when I was an undergrad at Purdue.  He started there a year before me, and on this brutally cold day was listening to see if the university was shut down...apparently the person on the radio station got tired of listing EVERYTHING in the state of Indiana and eventually said "Oh, hell with it!  Everything in the state of Indiana is closed.  Except for Purdue University, you have normal classes today!"  Needless to say, nobody was happy having to trek out in bitter cold and wind to their classes at 7:30AM.)

2 minutes ago, H2O said:

Ok so I need @Paleocene to change your avatar.  It is too close to @mappy's and is confusing.  Now granted I'm :oldman: and easily confused but one is summer, one is snow.  I feel like they are cancelling each other out and that's why we haven't had any snow yet.

lol, mappy's is trees in snow, mine is a summer sailboat edward hopper painting called "ground swell" . petition to make avatars larger so we can see them better!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, H2O said:

Ok so I need @Paleocene to change your avatar.  It is too close to @mappy's and is confusing.  Now granted I'm :oldman: and easily confused but one is summer, one is snow.  I feel like they are cancelling each other out and that's why we haven't had any snow yet.

this mixup literally just happened to me lol. blue and triangular white shape perhaps

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic