Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December Banter 2022

George BM

7 minutes ago, 87storms said:

We could use a little more height.  The commentator just made that same point.  It's something I've noticed with most of the USA squads.  Just imagine if even a fraction more of our elite athletes chose soccer (which I played growing up) instead of basketball (my favorite sport) and football (probably my 2nd favorite lol).  Soccer just is not ingrained in our culture (and city/street culture) in the same way that our other sports are, which makes this current run even more impressive.

I think this experience will really set this group up well in 26. The talent pool has gotten deeper quickly and is continuing to deepen. Lots of quality US players playing in European leagues.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

What does it it take for a damn Gio Reyna sighting!?!

In the end GGG picked Wes and Weah over him it seems.  I can’t really criticize that too much. They both balled out. And Wes created way better than I expected. Weah was a vertical threat we needed. What was inexcusable was using Morris over Reyna late against Wales and not finding a way to get him more mins as a sub. Even V IRAN I’d have favored trying to defend by possessing more than bunkering and got him on. But in the end the reason we are out is just embarrassing lazy marking today. You won’t ever control the run of play better than we did, but you can’t ignore and simply not mark late arriving runners to the box. That’s like rec league level basics. I’d have had words with the youth team I coach for that kind of lazy defense.  I hate to pick on Tyler because he was great the rest of the tournament but my god what he did on the first goal was inexcusable as a defensive mid. Lazily strolling back as a man arrives right in front of him unmarked to the box. That was my position and I’d probably have never seen the pitch again in high school or college if I did that more than once!  Just amateur level mental mistake. 

The finishing was kinda awful too but we we knew that wasn’t a strong suit and no one was picking us to win 4-3. The awful marking did us in. Shame, we really could and maybe should have won  this match. We have the quality to take the play to teams now and not just sit back and counter. But you can’t be lazy on defense ever at this level. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Kay said:

I saw a river otter! It has been a long time. It was in an area where there *are* usually beavers but I saw it lope across a path and into water and the shape was pretty clear. Now there needs to be snow so I can go back around there and look for tracks!

I was one when at work one day on the Occoquan River. Totally blew me away to see one. They are soooo damn cute

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic