• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December Banter 2022

George BM

I suppose it is arbitrary whether one is optimistic or pessimistic about the evolution of the upcoming advertised pattern. If one is pessimistic they are probably now at the stage of nitpicking details that may or may not be valid or even matter, and headed for full on perpetually telling us about everything that can(will) go wrong. In the end, nothing anyone thinks will happen has any influence on actual outcome. Given that, sure seems like having an optimistic outlook is a heck of a lot more healthy and fun.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CAPE said:

I suppose it is arbitrary whether one is optimistic or pessimistic about the evolution of the upcoming advertised pattern. If one is pessimistic they are probably now at the stage of nitpicking details that may or may not be valid or even matter, and headed for full on perpetually telling us everything that can(will) go wrong. In the end, nothing anyone thinks will happen has any influence on actual outcome. Given that, sure seems like having an optimistic outlook is a heck of a lot more healthy and fun.

I think I’m as optimistic as anyone about this pattern and I have two assumptions:

1. It will probably take longer than “expected” to get snow out of this upcoming pattern. 
2. Our December snow climo sucks, so a “good” productive pattern this month might still result in like 3” for DCA and 4-6” for BWI and IAD.

3 minutes ago, mappy said:

It’s gonna get old real quick if we are living and dying by every eps run. 

Winter’s back!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, WxUSAF said:

I think I’m as optimistic as anyone about this pattern and I have two assumptions:

1. It will probably take longer than “expected” to get snow out of this upcoming pattern. 
2. Our December snow climo sucks, so a “good” productive pattern this month might still result in like 3” for DCA and 4-6” for BWI and IAD.

Winter’s back!!

lol see my post to cape above :lol: great minds and all that 

5 minutes ago, mappy said:

Yay winter lol

5 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Winter’s back!!

Why are you saying its winter?  Winter doesn't start for another

twoweeks-totalrecall.gif

• Weenie 2

1 minute ago, WxUSAF said:

Winter’s back!!

I think our lack of experience with modelled -NAO events is also hurting our sense of time with this upcoming pattern. The one I can remember somewhat vividly is the late Jan 2021 blocking event, where both the GEFS and EPS were spitting out super cold and snowy 10-15 day looks starting around the 5th of January. It still took until very late into the month to get any meaningful cold, and basically on the cusp of February for meaningful snow. That was at the heart of snow and cold climo, so us being in December definitely can't help in those departments. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

I think our lack of experience with modelled -NAO events is also hurting our sense of time with this upcoming pattern. The one I can remember somewhat vividly is the late Jan 2021 blocking event, where both the GEFS and EPS were spitting out super cold and snowy 10-15 day looks starting around the 5th of January. It still took until very late into the month to get any meaningful cold, and basically on the cusp of February for meaningful snow. That was at the heart of snow and cold climo, so us being in December definitely can't help in those departments. 

It’s not just us. The SNE weenies are doing the same thing. For lack of a better term, good patterns often have to “marinate” for a bit before we get snow out of them. Isn’t always true, this past January being a prime example, but it is more common to have to wait. With the AO and NAO looking like that, I think a generally favorable environment is going to stick around for awhile. And are many people really going to complain if our better snow chances are in the week leading up to Xmas vs Dec 7-12??

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

It’s not just us. The SNE weenies are doing the same thing. For lack of a better term, good patterns often have to “marinate” for a bit before we get snow out of them. Isn’t always true, this past January being a prime example, but it is more common to have to wait. With the AO and NAO looking like that, I think a generally favorable environment is going to stick around for awhile. And are many people really going to complain if our better snow chances are in the week leading up to Xmas vs Dec 7-12??

As per usual as well, something will eventually pop-up in the short-range while the focus in the discussion thread may be focused on the LR. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WxUSAF said:

I think it's the worry of delayed becoming denied. As you've mentioned, we are in a much better position to can kick this early in the season, but it's hard for some to view it that way when whatever is on the other side of this pattern isn't in the medium range yet. Once those trackable threats begin to show up, people will loosen up a bit. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

I think it's the worry of delayed becoming denied. As you've mentioned, we are in a much better position to can kick this early in the season, but it's hard for some to view it that way when whatever is on the other side of this pattern isn't in the medium range yet. Once those trackable threats begin to show up, people will loosen up a bit. 

Worry posts spread like wildfire in the LR thread - if the 12-17th window gets pushed back to the end of December, it’ll quite literally be a dumpster fire of moaning and groaning.  We’ve seen delayed = denied but I have a hard time believing we come out of the upcoming advertised without seeing any snow (unless the thing just goes poof in the next 5 days which seems unlikely).  We also have to remember total annual snowfall in DC is like 15-20” depending on where you are in the immediate metro area…coming out of this pattern with a 4-8” moderate event is climo.

27 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Worry posts spread like wildfire in the LR thread - if the 12-17th window gets pushed back to the end of December, it’ll quite literally be a dumpster fire of moaning and groaning.  We’ve seen delayed = denied but I have a hard time believing we come out of the upcoming advertised without seeing any snow (unless the thing just goes poof in the next 5 days which seems unlikely).  We also have to remember total annual snowfall in DC is like 15-20” depending on where you are in the immediate metro area…coming out of this pattern with a 4-6” moderate event is climo.

I think this is an extra layer to the worry for some people as well. A good pattern will necessitate that the nail biting over long range pattern trends turns into nail biting over medium/short range threats and their respective modeled outputs. We don't do uncomplicated setups that often, especially in Ninas, so it can be difficult not to sweat over threats until you're watching snow falling out of the sky (and even then people will worry about the back edge, dry slot, etc). That's why last January was pretty special for me, we had 3 relatively uncomplicated setups that all gave sizeable snows before the pattern was supposed to "get good". Even then, there were still substantial winners and losers in each threat.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic