Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Banter Thread

Rjay

3 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Each state is pretty much like it’s own country to some extent. But look at all the problems California is having with lack of housing. Appalachia is similar with extreme poverty but it’s more out of sight and not on the news every day.

As in the above post, the US spends/wastes WAYYYYY too much on the military industrial complex and could do much better if we spent that money on our own people right here.

4 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Each state is pretty much like it’s own country to some extent. But look at all the problems California is having with lack of housing. Appalachia is similar with extreme poverty but it’s more out of sight and not on the news every day.

and they are food deserts...many of our health conditions, like the diabetes epidemic are worse because of that...we have both urban and rural food deserts where fresh unprocessed food isn't commonly available.

8 minutes ago, Dark Star said:

That's my point, because of people trying to take advantage of these programs, the people who really deserve the help do not get enough. Everybody would have to act "perfect" in order to have a better socieity. Some of us understand that.  Eternal vigilence!

I don’t know what the answer is since everything is so disorganized here. Just put on the news every night to see how dysfunctional our systems and society have become. There are good people trying to make a difference but the system is working against them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bluewave said:

I don’t know what the answer is since everything is so disorganized here. Just put on the news every night to see how dysfunctional our systems and society have become. There are good people trying to make a difference but the system is working against them.

did you see the one about Cigna using an automated program to reject lots of people for insurance benefits in a short amount of time?  They didn't even open the applications, the program automatically rejects 50 people every minute lol

private insurance sucks

18 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

This country spends/wastes WAYYYY too much money on the military industrial complex....if it didn't do that we could have the same social programs that other nations have.

Notice how quickly they dole out billions for other nations and never do it for people who live right here.

Freedom is not free.  Explain your point to the other nations that wish to take over the world.  As I said, the world is not perfect.  As soon as the US relaxes its vigilence, a long scourge of chaos followed by an unwanted domainting force will ensue.  It is human nature.  Pretty basic stuff...

11 minutes ago, Dark Star said:

Freedom is not free.  Explain your point to the other nations that wish to take over the world.  As I said, the world is not perfect.  As soon as the US relaxes its vigilence, a long scourge of chaos followed by an unwanted domainting force will ensue.  It is human nature.  Pretty basic stuff...

This isn't 1800 or 1900, and US intervention has led to horrible outcomes in MANY parts of the world-- so no I don't buy that cliched propaganda.

Eisenhower knew better and warned of the military industrial complex-- and being the leader of it-- he knew better than anyone else.

https://www.npr.org/2011/01/17/132942244/ikes-warning-of-military-expansion-50-years-later

https://www.npr.org/2011/01/16/132935716/eisenhowers-warning-still-challenges-the-nation

In an effort to control the expansion of the military-industrial complex, Eisenhower consistently sought to cut the Pentagon's budget.

The former general wanted a budget the country could afford, Bowman says. He upset all the military services with his budget cuts, especially the Air Force.

Citing another quote from Eisenhower -- this one from another speech on military spending -- Bowman says, "The jet plane that roars overhead costs three quarters of a million dollars. That’s more than a man will make in his lifetime. What world can afford this kind of thing for long?"

In today's government, Eisenhower has a fan in his fellow Kansan Secretary of Defense Robert Gates -- who keeps a portrait of the former general in his office at the Pentagon, Bowman says.

Speaking at the Eisenhower Library last year, Gates talked about America's insatiable appetite for more and more weapons:

"Does the number of warships we have, and are building, really put America at risk, when the U.S. battle fleet is larger than the next 13 navies combined -- 11 of which are our partners and allies?

Is it a dire threat that by 2020, the United States will have only 20 times more advanced stealth fighters than China?

These are the kinds of questions Eisenhower asked as commander-in-chief. They are the kinds of questions I believe he would ask today."

But, Bowman says, it has only become more difficult to control the size of the nation's military industry.

First, "there are only a handful of defense giants," he says, "which means you can't shop around for a better price."

And companies such as Lockheed Martin and Northrop Grumman are also adept at both lobbying and marketing to promote their interests.

Bowman says, "they also spread the jobs around the country, to lock in political support."

Sponsor Message

Gates has also discussed the difficulty of cutting military spending:

"What it takes is the political will and willingness, as Eisenhower possessed, to make hard choices -- choices that will displease powerful people both inside the Pentagon, and out."

Bowman says that some industry observers believe that "the one thing that could create that political will is the nation's huge deficit." Only that might force cuts in the overall defense budget.

3 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

This isn't 1800 or 1900, and US intervention has led to horrible outcomes in MANY parts of the world-- so no I don't buy that cliched propaganda.

Eisenhower knew better and warned of the military industrial complex-- and being the leader of it-- he knew better than anyone else.

You just have to look at the Ukraine to see an example, and China is always threatening Taiwan, and much of the south Pacific.  Nato doesn't pay its fair share, which is one reason why the "Scandanavian" countries might have better social programs since the US subsidizes their defense (as well as the rest of Europe).  

1 minute ago, Dark Star said:

You just have to look at the Ukraine to see an example, and China is always threatening Taiwan, and much of the south Pacific.  Nato doesn't pay its fair share, which is one reason why the "Scandanavian" countries might have better social programs since the US subsidizes their defense (as well as the rest of Europe).  

So you're saying if these countries paid their fair share then the burden could be more equally distributed.  I still think we could have the same social programs they do (if the burden was equally shared), since there is outlandish overspending by the defense sector that doesn't need to occur.

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

It’s much easier with the small populations they have there. Each country only has about 5-10 million people.

Other arguments about social programs aside for the moment, the other key difference is that, as I understand it, those Nordic populations understand that there's no free lunch.  In Denmark, if you make 30% over the average income, about $87,000 here, you're taxed at 55.9%.   Plus a 25% consumption tax for everyone - again someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Who's ready to sign up for that here?  Here, roughly 58% of Americans pay zero income tax.  Yeah, I know, 7.6% Social Security and FICA, and local sales tax, but that's nothing compared to what they pay in the Nordic countries as mentioned above.

If you confiscate every last dime of every US billionaire, you could run the country for a grand total of 8 months.  Nevermind the fact there would never be another billionaire to tap ever again.

Allow me to be master of the obvious and state that this isn't sustainable.

24 minutes ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

Other arguments about social programs aside for the moment, the other key difference is that, as I understand it, those Nordic populations understand that there's no free lunch.  In Denmark, if you make 30% over the average income, about $87,000 here, you're taxed at 55.9%.   Plus a 25% consumption tax for everyone - again someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Who's ready to sign up for that here?  Here, roughly 58% of Americans pay zero income tax.  Yeah, I know, 7.6% Social Security and FICA, and local sales tax, but that's nothing compared to what they pay in the Nordic countries as mentioned above.

If you confiscate every last dime of every US billionaire, you could run the country for a grand total of 8 months.  Nevermind the fact there would never be another billionaire to tap ever again.

Yeah, their debt to gdp is much lower than ours. So its much easier to finance their programs. As you said, their tax structure is much different. They don’t mind the higher taxes since they get so much in return. Here we get tons of hidden taxes and fees that we don’t get much  in return  for. So people are rightfully angry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_public_debt

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

I think thats how all nations to be, this nation is too big for its own good....most large nations eventually break up into smaller parts, because they are more manageable and easier to run.

Is the U.S. really a "nation"? Not necessarily according to this:

https://www.philosophytalk.org/blog/why-america-not-nation

"The short answer is that too many Americans hate, or at least really dislike other Americans for us to count as a nation."

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Yeah, their debt to gdp is much lower than ours. So its much easier to finance their programs. As you said, their tax structure is much different. They don’t mind the higher taxes since they get so much in return. Here we get tons of hidden taxes and fees that we don’t get much  in return  for. So people are rightfully angry.

Yes these hidden taxes and subsidies (like subsidies to big pharma and the fossil fuel cartels) really need to go.

48 minutes ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

The rich should be taxed at like 90 percent on both wealth and income.  They get away with paying zilch.

Nordic countries are far better off and their "happiness index" high scores show it, as well as they get a lot more for their money than we do.

Finland ranks highest on a lot of metrics, like social mobility and lack of income disparity and I believe they also have UBI (universal basic income) which we have been testing out in parts of NY and NJ.

27 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Happiness index scores tell the tale, the big boys and girls at the front of the line....these nations also handled covid the best, have the highest democracy index scores, etc.

https://www.theglobaleconomy.com/rankings/happiness/

It's like clockwork lol

Finland 7.82 1 2013 - 2021
Denmark 7.64 2 2013 - 2021
Iceland 7.56 3 2013 - 2021
Switzerland 7.51 4 2013 - 2021
Netherlands 7.41 5 2013 - 2021
Luxembourg 7.4 6 2013 - 2021
Sweden 7.38 7 2013 - 2021
Norway 7.37 8 2013 - 2021

Countries  Happiness index, 2021  Global rank  Available data 
Finland 7.82 1 2013 - 2021
Denmark 7.64 2 2013 - 2021
Iceland 7.56 3 2013 - 2021
Switzerland 7.51 4 2013 - 2021
Netherlands 7.41 5 2013 - 2021
Luxembourg 7.4 6 2013 - 2021
Sweden 7.38 7 2013 - 2021
Norway 7.37 8 2013 - 2021
Israel 7.36 9 2013 - 2021
New Zealand 7.2 10 2013 - 2021
Australia 7.16 11 2013 - 2021
Austria 7.16 12 2013 - 2021
Ireland 7.04 13 2013 - 2021
Canada 7.03 14 2013 - 2021
Germany 7.03 15 2013 - 2021
USA 6.98 16 2013 - 2021
UK 6.94 17 2013 - 2021
Czechia 6.92 18 2013 - 2021
Belgium 6.8 19 2013 - 2021
France 6.69 20 2013 - 2021

26 minutes ago, bluewave said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy_Index

Democracy Index, the US ranks as a "flawed democracy" at number 30

1 Steady 21px-Flag_of_Norway.svg.png Norway Full democracy 9.81 Increase 0.06 10.00 9.64 10.00 10.00 9.41
2 Steady 23px-Flag_of_New_Zealand.svg.png New Zealand Full democracy 9.61 Increase 0.14 10.00 9.29 10.00 8.75 10.00
3 Increase 2 21px-Flag_of_Iceland.svg.png Iceland Full democracy 9.52 Increase 0.34 10.00 9.64 8.89 9.38 9.71
4 Steady 23px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png Sweden Full democracy 9.39 Increase 0.13 9.58 9.64 8.33 10.00 9.41
5 Decrease 2 23px-Flag_of_Finland.svg.png Finland Full democracy 9.29 Increase 0.02 10.00 9.64 8.33 8.75 9.71
6 Steady 20px-Flag_of_Denmark.svg.png Denmark Full democracy 9.28 Increase 0.19 10.00 9.29 8.33 9.38 9.41
7 Increase 2 16px-Flag_of_Switzerland_%28Pantone%29.s Switzerland Full democracy 9.14 Increase 0.24 9.58 9.29 8.33 9.38 9.12
8 Decrease 1 23px-Flag_of_Ireland.svg.png Ireland Full democracy 9.13 Increase 0.13 10.00 8.21 8.33 10.00 9.12
9 Increase 2 23px-Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg.png Netherlands Full democracy 9.00 Increase 0.12 9.58 8.93 8.33 8.75 9.41

Flawed democracies
25 Increase 4 23px-Flag_of_the_Czech_Republic.svg.png Czech Republic Flawed democracy 7.97 Increase 0.23 9.58 6.43 7.22 7.50 9.12
Increase 9 23px-Flag_of_Greece.svg.png Greece Flawed democracy 7.97 Increase 0.41 10.00 7.14 6.67 7.50 8.53
27 Steady 23px-Flag_of_Estonia.svg.png Estonia Flawed democracy 7.96 Increase 0.12 9.58 7.86 6.67 6.88 8.82
28 Steady 23px-Flag_of_Portugal.svg.png Portugal Flawed democracy 7.95 Increase 0.13 9.58 7.50 6.67 6.88 9.12
29 Decrease 6 21px-Flag_of_Israel.svg.png Israel Flawed democracy 7.93 Decrease 0.04 9.58 7.86 9.44 6.88 5.88
30 Decrease 4 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States Flawed democracy 7.85 Steady 9.17 6.43 8.89 6.25 8.53
31 Increase 4 23px-Flag_of_Slovenia.svg.png Slovenia Flawed democracy 7.75 Increase 0.21 9.58 7.14 7.22 6.25 8.53
32 Decrease 2 23px-Flag_of_Botswana.svg.png Botswana Flawed democracy 7.73 Steady 9.17 6.79 6.67 7.50 8.53
33 Steady 23px-Flag_of_Malta.svg.png Malta Flawed democracy 7.70 Increase 0.13 9.17 7.14 5.56 8.13 8.53
34 Decrease 3 23px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png Italy Flawed democracy 7.69 Increase 0.01 9.58 6.79 7.22 7.50 7.35

1 hour ago, GaWx said:

"The short answer is that too many Americans hate, or at least really dislike other Americans for us to count as a nation."

duh. have you met an average american? this country deserves to burn down

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GaWx said:

The weather forums are a microcosm of this pattern. We originally began with one big forum. But squabbles kept breaking out. So we split up into separate subforums for the local regions. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

america is a seething mass of ignorance and stupidity 

Do you try to educate/enlighten any of those around you who you feel are ignorant and/or stupid? After all, ignorance and stupidity can at least be partially cured through educating. It obviously is going to be harder to help those who are stupid due to lack of intelligence, which of course is genetic. Unfortunately for them, it is a difficult situation....a disability of sorts.

4 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

As in the above post, the US spends/wastes WAYYYYY too much on the military industrial complex and could do much better if we spent that money on our own people right here.

Disagree. Our empire enables us to have cheap goods and higher quality of life. War is generally bad for both, and since the second world war, when we really starting spending money on the military, other than terrorists, we have not been attacked by a nation state. The money spent on the military is worth every penny. The world has pretty much been unipolar since 1990, and is now becoming multipolar with the rise of China and India. A multipolar world will have much more conflict than unipolar or bipolar. Our strong military has maintained general stability in the world since the 40s and we need to keep it growing so the world does not become multipolar again, if we are dominant, other countries will join us and not fight us.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Disagree. Our empire enables us to have cheap goods and higher quality of life. War is generally bad for both, and since the second world war, when we really starting spending money on the military, other than terrorists, we have not been attacked by a nation state. The money spent on the military is worth every penny. The world has pretty much been unipolar since 1990, and is now becoming multipolar with the rise of China and India. A multipolar world will have much more conflict than unipolar or bipolar. Our strong military has maintained general stability in the world since the 40s and we need to keep it growing so the world does not become multipolar again, if we are dominant, other countries will join us and not fight us.

better start learning mandarin and hindi because china and india each have over 4x our population 

• BxEngine locked and unpinned this topic