Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Banter Thread

Rjay

Periodic extreme forecast update...

The extreme forecast in question called for March 1-April 15 to have an average temperature of 5° below normal with 20" or more snow in New York City. The forecast always had very little chance of ever verifying.

At present, the temperature would need to average 7.5° below normal from March 14-April 15 (40.0° against the 1991-2020 normals). The last time a year had an average temperature of 40.0° or below from March 14-April 15 was in 1956. 13/16 cases with such temperatures occurred prior to 1900.

Through today, it is likely that NYC's snowfall since March 1st will remain stuck at 0.1". That means an additional 19.9" would be needed through April 15th to verify the forecast. Only a single year in NYC's climate record, which extends back to 1869, had 19.9" or more snow from March 14-April 15: 1956 with 23.7".

In sum, the initially steep hill required for the extreme forecast to verify is growing each day into an ever higher mountain.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Safe to declare winter over?  My forecast shows 55 by Thursday, then high's consistently in the upper 40's to low 50's through early April.  I don't see how we get any snowfall of significance from here on in unless we get something real heavy overnight...but even if that happens, it will probably be gone within a few hours of daybreak anyhow.

2 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

The extreme forecast in question called for March 1-April 15 to have an average temperature of 5° below normal with 20" or more snow in New York City. The forecast always had very little chance of ever verifying.

At present, the temperature would need to average 7.5° below normal from March 14-April 15 (40.0° against the 1991-2020 normals). The last time a year had an average temperature of 40.0° or below from March 14-April 15 was in 1956. 13/16 cases with such temperatures occurred prior to 1900.

Through today, it is likely that NYC's snowfall since March 1st will remain stuck at 0.1". That means an additional 19.9" would be needed through April 15th to verify the forecast. Only a single year in NYC's climate record, which extends back to 1869, had 19.9" or more snow from March 14-April 15: 1956 with 23.7".

In sum, the initially steep hill required for the extreme forecast to verify is growing each day into an ever higher mountain.

So you're tellin' me there's a chance!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, North and West said:

I like that everyone got to experience/re-live an early 1990s winter this year with fleeting cold and near misses. Now imagine that pre-internet and only the TV Mets to guide you outside of pre-Ice Road Trucker TWC.

giphy.gif

Would probably make us more sane not less with all these links to crap models and hallucinations. You take what the met tells you at 11pm and that’s it! I feel so deprived from when I was a kid and had to rely on what Nick Gregory said the models were doing at 10pm. Was like some drumroll until my hopes growing up on the south shore were dashed 90% of the time. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jm1220 said:

Would probably make us more sane not less with all these links to crap models and hallucinations. You take what the met tells you at 11pm and that’s it! I feel so deprived from when I was a kid and had to rely on what Nick Gregory said the models were doing at 10pm. Was like some drumroll until my hopes growing up on the south shore were dashed 90% of the time. 

I have fond memories of 1993-94 though even on the south shore.  That was one case where the mets were usually underdone on snowfall amounts.  I remember Mr G did amazingly well with his 10 PM updates on PIX11 because he always said it looked like we were going to get more snow than originally forecast-- AND WE DID!

YOU TOOK IT AND YOU LIKED IT.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

1956 was amazing to get that much snow, they even beat out 1967 (which was colder).  Didn't 1956 have a big snowstorm in April, Don?

12 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

1956 was amazing to get that much snow, they even beat out 1967 (which was colder).  Didn't 1956 have a big snowstorm in April, Don?

March-April Measurable Snowfalls for NYC in 1956:

March 12-13: 1.6"
March 16-17: 6.7"
March 18-19: 11.6"
March 24: 1.2
April 8: 4.2"

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

March-April Measurable Snowfalls for NYC in 1956:

March 12-13: 1.6"
March 16-17: 6.7"
March 18-19: 11.6"
March 24: 1.2
April 8: 4.2"

Very similar to 2018 actually, that also had 4 storms in March and 1 in April I think?

1996 was similar, 3 4"+ snowstorms in March and 1 in April (for JFK)?

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

I have fond memories of 1993-94 though even on the south shore.  That was one case where the mets were usually underdone on snowfall amounts.  I remember Mr G did amazingly well with his 10 PM updates on PIX11 because he always said it looked like we were going to get more snow than originally forecast-- AND WE DID!

Absolutely.  Best memories of that winter here (and there are plenty)

- Stuck in traffic in an 8" storm on a Tuesday (1994 so a rarity for anyone under 25 at the time), and on the radio talk about the next 8" storm headed here Friday, which of course it did.

- Snowpacked sidestreets the norm for about a two week stretch

- Ice storms which never flipped to rain

It's almost unfathomable now, especially the snowpacked sidestreets part.

Sorry, ventured down Memory Lane a bit there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/8/2023 at 1:51 PM, GaWx said:

A big part of the problem here and in other CFS Twitter posts is that the CFS is strongly cold biased, especially over snowcover. And the CFS often has snowcover when it isn't realistic. It has snowcover when it shouldn't because it is cold biased. So, it becomes a vicious cycle.

Just as an example of this strong CFS cold and snow bias since RDU is one of the cities analyzed, I'll analyze all of the major 0Z 3/8 model runs for hour 132 at RDU (for 12Z on Monday 3/13):

First of all, RDU NWS has a forecast for RDU Sun night of rain and a low in the lower 40s:

"SUNDAY NIGHT   RAIN LIKELY. LOWS IN THE LOWER 40S. CHANCE OF   RAIN 70 PERCENT."

The 0Z 3/8 CFS has ~1" of snowcover as of 12Z on 3/13 because it is cold biased and had a high near 36 the day before with wintry precip falling vs a high from the mid 40s to low 50s on the other models with rain/no snowcover on the other models:

https://www.pivotalweather.com/model.php?m=cfs&p=snod-imp&rh=2023030800&fh=132&r=conus&dpdt=&mc=

Partially as a result of this snowcover, the 0Z 3/8 CFS has RDU at an unrealistically cold 32 as of 12Z on 3/13:

https://www.pivotalweather.com/model.php?m=cfs&p=sfct-imp&rh=2023030800&fh=132&r=conus&dpdt=&mc=

Now, I'll compare the CFS' 32 with the 0Z 3/8 runs of the other major models and the already mentioned NWS for 12Z on 3/13 at RDU (they all have rain and no snowcover):

Euro 49

UKMET 43

GFS 43

CMC 42

ICON 42

NWS 42

CFS 32

Followup for @donsutherland1 and others:

1. RDU did actually get snow and sleet yesterday, but there was only a trace vs that CFS run's wintry precip that lead to 1" of snowcover.

2. The actual high yesterday was only 41. So, although the CFS' ~36 did end up too cold, the other models with their mid 40s to low 50s were all too warm with some ~10 too warm.

3. The actual 12Z (8AM EDT) temperature today was 40. So, the CFS' 32 verified 8 too cold. But the Euro's 49 was 9 too warm. The other 4 along with the NWS were also too warm but only by 2-3.

4. In summary the CFS verified too snowy and cold as expected, but the others were too warm.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

March-April 1996 had 2 4" or above snowstorms at JFK Airport. There was an additional 3" storm.

Don, was there a 7 inch snowstorm in the middle of March that melted on the same day, I remember something like that.  But that 7 inch report was from Massapequa.  The sun came out as soon as the snow ended and it warmed up quickly.  It was an amazing day, we had mid winter and late spring on the same day lol.

• Like 1

• BxEngine locked and unpinned this topic