• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Banter Thread

Rjay

Man, this winter couldn’t be any more depressing. 

My wife and I are a taking a trip up to Connecticut for my birthday weekend and are gonna spend some time outdoors. Was planning to hike a few of the parks in the hills of NW CT, and at the time we planned this, thought it unlikely we wouldn’t be able to get into some snow. 

Little did I know we’d damn near have to go to the Canadian border this winter… :weep:  

We’ll still have fun I’m sure, but just… ugh. What a winter. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Volcanic Winter said:

My wife and I are a taking a trip up to Connecticut for my birthday weekend and are gonna spend some time outdoors. Was planning to hike a few of the parks in the hills of NW CT, and at the time we planned this, thought it unlikely we wouldn’t be able to get into some snow. 

Little did I know we’d damn near have to go to the Canadian border this winter… :weep:  

Good morning VW and may you have many decades more weekends to celebrate with your love. As a born and raised Brooklyn Dodgers fan still waiting ( in futility ) for dem bums to come home, I recommend our most end of seasons slogan, “Wait ‘til next year”. Stay well, as always …..

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Volcanic Winter said:

Yep the only snows in CT are the ski areas that have snow on the runs....fake snow of course...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Volcanic Winter said:

Careful it's a bit windy up there

• Haha 2

Wife and I are up in Danbury CT area. Really nice up here. Perfect, except for the bare ass ground :weep:.

eAgtsun.jpeg

Definitely expected snow on the ground when we planned this trip, we’re also nearly one thousand feet elevation in this park, too. 

You know this winter sucks when there’s not a single pile of snow anywhere near here. At least we’re having a fun time despite.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, snowman19 said:

Read JB is going off the charts hype on the paid site for 3/1 - 4/15….predicting a -5F temp average for the I-95 corridor and 20+ inches of snow in NYC for that time frame. Get ready for March, 2012….

People still pay to read him lol. I saw he was hyping something about global warming and the turkey earthquake 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Volcanic Winter said:

Wife and I are up in Danbury CT area. Really nice up here. Perfect, except for the bare ass ground :weep:.

eAgtsun.jpeg

Definitely expected snow on the ground when we planned this trip, we’re also nearly one thousand feet elevation in this park, too. 

You know this winter sucks when there’s not a single pile of snow anywhere near here. At least we’re having a fun time despite.

I wonder how many hundreds of miles you'd have to go to actually see any snow

People still pay to read him lol. I saw he was hyping something about global warming and the turkey earthquake 

Saying the I-95 corridor is going to go -5 for temps and NYC is going to get 20 inches of snow from 3/1 to 4/15 is predicting an epic, historic pattern. He’s a fool. No one takes him seriously anymore. It’s satire at this point
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Saying the I-95 corridor is going to go -5 for temps and NYC is going to get 20 inches of snow from 3/1 to 4/15 is predicting an epic, historic pattern. He’s a fool. No one takes him seriously anymore. It’s satire at this point

I haven’t been following things too closely as we’ve been on a trip, but do you think there’ll be any sort of improvement at the end of the month into March? Any chance for cold and snow, or is it still a long shot. Just curious, seemed like it was still all over the place with at least some potential when I left. Not expecting any miracles of course, I’ll settle for an advisory event at this point. 

Thanks

11 hours ago, snowman19 said:

Read JB is going off the charts hype on the paid site for 3/1 - 4/15….predicting a -5F temp average for the I-95 corridor and 20+ inches of snow in NYC for that time frame. Get ready for March, 2012….

If such descriptions are accurate, a spectacular bust is probably the most likely outcome. Such an extreme outcome is extremely unlikely to verify. Keeping in mind low model skill at extended timeframes, none of the long-range guidance (ECWMF weeklies or CFSv2) has anything close to such an outcome. We'll see if the ECMWF weeklies change when they are posted later today.

For perspective, the average temperature during March 1-April 15, 1991-2020 in New York City is 45.4°. The last time NYC had a mean temperature at least 5° below that figure was in 1960. That occurred during a colder climate regime (the 1951-1980 average temperature for March 1-April 15 was 43.9°). The last time, NYC saw 20" or more snow during that period occurred in 1956 (also the last year with a -5° anomaly/20" or more snowfall during March 1-April 15). Before that, the last such combination of snow and cold occurred in 1916.

Overall, since 1869, New York City has seen just 6 years with such a combination of snowfall and cold (temperature anomaly of 5° or more below normal) during March 1-April 15: 1875, 1888, 1896, 1914, 1916, and 1956. None of those winters saw the kind of warmth the current winter has had. The warmest was 1955-1956 with a mean temperature of 35.5°. None of them featured the exceptionally low snowfall that has occurred though February 12th. 1914 had 2.1" but with a winter mean temperature of 33.9°. 1956 had 5.5" with a winter mean temperature of 35.5°. The figures through February 12, 2023 are 0.4" and 40.5° respectively.

All said, the latest weekly guidance (the CFSv2 stays warm through the March 6-12 period; last week's ECMWF weeklies brought readings to near normal to close February and start March), the warming that has occurred since the 1950s and 1960s (though JB likely dismisses this factor outright given his stance on climate change despite both the data and science--that creates a large and growing blind spot in his forecasting), and NYC's historic statistics all suggest that there is only a very low probability of such an outcome.

Finally, why might he issue such an extreme forecast that appears to have very little probability of verifying? It may well have to do with the fact that he has not fared well this winter. His winter forecasts have essentially burned up in the unrelenting torches of non-winter 2022-2023. He had called for a severely cold and snowy winter in Europe, adding political commentary that Europe would face major energy shortages driven by its energy policies. He also called for the "hounds of winter" to "howl" during January 10-30 (with posted maps of past Arctic outbreaks), invoked the March 1993/January 1996 storms in December and January 1996/2016 storms in January as "analogs." Against this backdrop, his described forecast seems to be one last desperate swing for the proverbial fences.

It is sad how far he has fallen. His forecasts have been increasingly and adversely impacted by his deepening spiral into climate change denial, political considerations, and even conspiracy theories.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I haven’t been following things too closely as we’ve been on a trip, but do you think there’ll be any sort of improvement at the end of the month into March? Any chance for cold and snow, or is it still a long shot. Just curious, seemed like it was still all over the place with at least some potential when I left. Not expecting any miracles of course, I’ll settle for an advisory event at this point. 

Thanks

An improvement? Sure. That wouldn’t take much after this disaster. But -5 for temps and 20 inches of snow in NYC between March 1st and April 15th? That’s laughably delusional. Wishcasting at its best
  • Thanks 1

• BxEngine locked and unpinned this topic