Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter Banter Thread

Rjay

2 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

Some horrible person decided to take a pigeon and color it pink using a dye and the sickly bird was brought in to an animal rescue where it was nursed back to health.  The bird couldn't fly and couldn't fend for itself and needed to be rescued.

The theory is this dimwitted person did it for a "gender reveal" party.  This reminds me of the dimwit who set off fireworks that started a massive wildfire for a gender reveal party in California a couple of years ago.

All gender reveal parties should be BANNED.  No one cares what your offspring is, keep it to yourself and stop damaging the environment with your egotistical need to brag about being  a breeder.

image.jpeg.460d2d4309f6be741efaca6da34b6e80.jpeg

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Number one you’re always bragging about spraying for insects… ummm you think that doesn’t effect birds…

Two, the gender reveal was in Arizona 

Yes, but the standing water I'm talking about spraying are puddles left over from excess rainfall.  The birds drink from my pond (which doesn't get sprayed.)

The one with the massive wildfire?  I guess there were two.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Dorado_Fire#:~:text=The fire began at 10,in southern San Bernardino County.

No it was this:

The El Dorado Fire was a wildfire that burned 22,744 acres (9,204 ha; 35.538 sq mi) in the San Bernardino and Riverside Counties of California in September to November 2020. It was ignited on September 5 by a pyrotechnic device at a gender reveal party in El Dorado Ranch Park, and quickly spread to the San Gorgonio Wilderness Area of the San Bernardino National Forest. Burning over a 71-day period, the fire destroyed 20 structures and resulted in one firefighter fatality, for which the couple hosting the party were charged with involuntary manslaughter.

Cause[edit]

The fire began at 10:23 AM (PDT) on September 5, 2020,[1] when Refugio Manuel Jimenez Jr. and Angela Renee Jimenez set off a smoke bomb at a gender reveal photoshoot at the El Dorado Ranch Park near Yucaipa, in southern San Bernardino County. The detonation of the smoke bomb lit nearby dry grass on fire, which then began to spread rapidly.[2][3] According to the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CAL FIRE), the Jimenezes attempted to extinguish the fire with bottled water,[1] then reported the fire to the authorities and cooperated with their investigation.[4] The cause of the fire inspired widespread mockery and condemnation, and was frequently compared to the 2017 Sawmill Fire, conceived by an exploding target at a gender reveal party in Arizona.[5][6][7][8]

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jul/21/couple-gender-reveal-party-wildfire-charged

California couple whose gender-reveal party sparked a wildfire charged with 30 crimes

This article is more than 1 year old

The pyrotechnic device sparked the destructive El Dorado fire, which destroyed five homes and killed one firefighter

Yes, but the standing water I'm talking about spraying are puddles left over from excess rainfall.  The birds drink from my pond (which doesn't get sprayed.)

It must be a law that long range forecast weather graphics whenever it is forecast to be very cold or very hot, must replace the graphic indicating cloud cover with a condescending red or blue thermometer.  "The temperature will be 15 degrees on Saturday. This means it will be COLD.  Here's a picture of a blue thermometer just to make sure you get that."

32 minutes ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

It must be a law that long range forecast weather graphics whenever it is forecast to be very cold or very hot, must replace the graphic indicating cloud cover with a condescending red or blue thermometer.  "The temperature will be 15 degrees on Saturday. This means it will be COLD.  Here's a picture of a blue thermometer just to make sure you get that."

It reminds me of the old days when we had max/min thermometers that had red dyed liquid and blue dyed liquid for each end and saved the max/min readings.  The last time I saw one of those was back in the 80s....

Fun article in the NY Times today about meteorologists' largely unsuccessful attempts to beat back weather hyperbole:
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/18/science/weather-forecasts-language.html  
1st 10 articles per month are free, so should not be behind a paywall, yet.

I saw this a few weeks back and it’s just like any other specialized communication that people forget: normal people don’t talk like this.

I have a hard enough time keeping up with MJO, ENSO, PNA, etc. (I’m convinced some of these are made up just as a gate-keeping device), don’t go throwing around vortex and other apocalyptic jargon just to get clicks and ultimately confuse people.

9 minutes ago, Pellice said:

Fun article in the NY Times today about meteorologists' largely unsuccessful attempts to beat back weather hyperbole:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/18/science/weather-forecasts-language.html  

1st 10 articles per month are free, so should not be behind a paywall, yet.

Just now, North and West said:

I saw this a few weeks back and it’s just like any other specialized communication that people forget: normal people don’t talk like this.

I have a hard enough time keeping up with MJO, ENSO, PNA, etc. (I’m convinced some of these are made up just as a gate-keeping device), don’t go throwing around vortex and other apocalyptic jargon just to get clicks and ultimately confuse people.

In an environment in which virtually every severe weather event is presented by many media outlets, including ones devoted to weather 24/7, as just more evidence that the world will soon be over, this was inevitable.

• Like 1

if you don't understand weather terms why post here?

Because it’s nice to read what like-minded people think, as some of them have made a professional career out of something that’s just of an interest to me.

I still watch sports even though I can’t hit a homerun or kick a field goal.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

I only know what it means if the groundhog a) sees his shadow, and b) does not.  Not sure what weather is in store if the groundhog dies.

I'm just thinking of that term, 'groundhog'.  What a lazy way to name it.  Does that thing look like a hog to anyone?  Same goes for 'prairie dog.' 

I think these are different names for the same creature

groundhog, prairie dog, ground chuck, etc

• BxEngine locked and unpinned this topic