Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter Banter Thread

Rjay

3 hours ago, gravitylover said:

That whale sure wasn't. 

@LibertyBell yeah I think it's #8 since December between NJ and ME but I may have missed some. 

they're saying #10 now and trying to figure out what's going on.

did you see all the barnacles near the whale's head too?

it looks like pebbles sprinked up there

1 minute ago, Dark Star said:

Does a warmer winter have any effect on the insect population, like gnats and mosquitoes?  Are there any general guidlines on how cold it has to be to reduce the mosquito population?  Some mosquitoes were flying around my car two weeks ago in Linden NJ.

It must.  All kinda of bugs were out yesterday. Not sure if Saturdays cold will kill them

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Dark Star said:

Does a warmer winter have any effect on the insect population, like gnats and mosquitoes?  Are there any general guidlines on how cold it has to be to reduce the mosquito population?  Some mosquitoes were flying around my car two weeks ago in Linden NJ.

I was deer hunting yesterday, and had lots of bugs flying around my face when I was up in the tree stand. Crazy stuff for the end of January. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dark Star said:

I was working in my garden yesterday and I saw them too.

• Sad 1

Just now, MJO812 said:

This winter feels longer than it has so far.

I still remember people were talking about an epic pattern in late Novemver and comparing it to 2019 because of the blocking. 

What a failure that was :(

Nowhere to go but up from here. 

Assuming the rest of the season is a shutout I'll be thrilled the next time an advisory event is forecast (prob 23/24)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dark Star said:

I’m a horticulturalist not an entomologist but if insects react like plants it has to do with the lowest temperature recorded more so then the overall temp. So despite this winter being incredibly warm overall we have had some decent cold and this next shot could really do the trick. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I’m a horticulturalist not an entomologist but if insects react like plants it has to do with the lowest temperature recorded more so then the overall temp. So despite this winter being incredibly warm overall we have had some decent cold and this next shot could really do the trick. 

Yeah but I don't believe they "die" they just go into hibernation and as soon as it gets warm again back they come.  And especially if it rains a lot which is why we're told to spray all standing water to make sure we kill their larvae dead.

Some horrible person decided to take a pigeon and color it pink using a dye and the sickly bird was brought in to an animal rescue where it was nursed back to health.  The bird couldn't fly and couldn't fend for itself and needed to be rescued.

The theory is this dimwitted person did it for a "gender reveal" party.  This reminds me of the dimwit who set off fireworks that started a massive wildfire for a gender reveal party in California a couple of years ago.

All gender reveal parties should be BANNED.  No one cares what your offspring is, keep it to yourself and stop damaging the environment with your egotistical need to brag about being  a breeder.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

Some horrible person decided to take a pigeon and color it pink using a dye and the sickly bird was brought in to an animal rescue where it was nursed back to health.  The bird couldn't fly and couldn't fend for itself and needed to be rescued.

The theory is this dimwitted person did it for a "gender reveal" party.  This reminds me of the dimwit who set off fireworks that started a massive wildfire for a gender reveal party in California a couple of years ago.

All gender reveal parties should be BANNED.  No one cares what your offspring is, keep it to yourself and stop damaging the environment with your egotistical need to brag about being  a breeder.

Number one you’re always bragging about spraying for insects… ummm you think that doesn’t effect birds…

Two, the gender reveal was in Arizona 

• BxEngine locked and unpinned this topic