Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter Banter Thread

Rjay

1 hour ago, Rjay said:

Awful officiating.  Just way too involved in the outcome. 

Just horrible to have a game decided on a personal foul like that. Extremely unlikely that Butker would have been able to make a 56 yard FG in that bitter cold weather, so it very likely would have been overtime if not for that 15 yard penalty.

While I think the officials should not have let a flag decide a championship game on a small shove out of bounds, Ossai does deserve a lot of blame for an incredibly stupid play. Absolutely no reason to push Mahomes out of bounds and risk a critical penalty. I never understand why some players push guys that are going out of bounds. It serves no purpose. We saw Osaai crying for a long time after the game. He felt terrible that he cost his team a chance to go to the Super Bowl.

A shame to have a game decided that way, but Mahomes again showed why he's the best QB in football.  He really put it all on the line with that run on the bad ankle, and it's amazing that he was able to play that great on a sprained ankle. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

21 minutes ago, Rjay said:

It wasn't just that call though which was a clear penalty.  But they just need to let that go in that moment.  

I agree. Not only should they have let that call go because a trip to the Super Bowl was on the line, but some other terrible calls against the Bengals. A shame when bad officiating has such an impact on the outcome. Sometimes officials just let players play and don't throw many flags in huge games. Too bad that wasn't the case tonight. 

• Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

2 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

I’m rooting for the gates of hell to open up at the 50 yard line at kickoff. 

In theory that would pump heights over the Western US, which could lead to a cold snap in the East as the atmosphere balances out. Combine that with the energy dumped into the atmosphere from the event and that child create a hell of a storm off the EC. 

So.. Yeah, I'm game for that 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Rjay said:

It wasn't just that call though which was a clear penalty.  But they just need to let that go in that moment.  

I hate how involved officials are in these games.

Just let the players play.  They're not brittle, so what if a WR or QB gets hit a little.  That comes with the game.

• Weenie 1

11 hours ago, Rjay said:

I agree the officiating overall was problematic but if that last play was a clear penalty I don’t see why let it go? Then that’s almost giving officials more power to use discretion to not call penalties due to game situation as opposed to follow the rules. 

• Weenie 1

11 hours ago, winterwx21 said:

I agree. Not only should they have let that call go because a trip to the Super Bowl was on the line, but some other terrible calls against the Bengals. A shame when bad officiating has such an impact on the outcome. Sometimes officials just let players play and don't throw many flags in huge games. Too bad that wasn't the case tonight. 

I guess you guys don't watch much soccer; PKs given now with VAR because the ball bounced up from the turf and hit the player's arm in the box.....and in soccer one PK can decide the whole game ( the infamous 1990 final between West Germany and Argentina ). We watch the super bowl mainly for the commercials, we aren't big NFL fans but will watch at times. Will be pulling for the Eagles simply because Philly lost both the Series and MLS Cup last year and that's just too much for one city to bear. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, winterwx21 said:

What a way to spend a sunday evening, giving a bunch of posts weenies because he hates that other people enjoy watching football. Once he actually said that pro sports should be banned, lol. 

I kinda dislike American sports too, but I recognize that's my failure to appreciate them, not the fault of the sports themselves.  I like soccer and it's not an American sport ( well it is now, but not when I started watching ) but that doesn't mean I think its better than other sports. People tend to enjoy what they grow up with; you can learn a lot about a society by knowing their sports history. For example, Venezuela became a baseball country because American oil companies introduced the game there. British influence in Brazil and Argentina introduced soccer, which took off in the rest of South America. Cricket was introduced by the British as well, but failed to gain a foothold in North or South America ( Guyana being an exception ) but did make it in the West Indies, in fact its the 2nd biggest sport on the planet. Good luck trying to figure it out. Then there is Rugby, likely the 3rd most popular sport. Places like  Australia and New Zealand developed their own sports, and Americans introduced baseball and later basketball to a lot of other countries. i don't care for basketball because really, you have to be almost superhuman to be world class; it is not a sport for normal sized humans ( though yes, there are some exceptions, but I remember a coach once saying, give me a tall player, I'll make them into a basketball player, which has irritated non athletic tall people to no end...). There's also ice hockey, and net ball ( played by mostly women in Europe due to a misinterpretation of basketball rules when it was introduced ) and field hockey, badminton ( yes, I kid you not ). And guess what? I really enjoy figure skating. I think the stuff the skaters are able to do is mind blowing. And then, for most of my life, I didn't pay attention to any sports at all. The super bowl or world series could be going on and I couldn't even tell you who was playing, in fact just yesterday my wife asked when the super bowl was, and I said I don't know, maybe in a few weeks ( so we could plan a party menu LOL for my BIL).

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

I kinda dislike American sports too, but I recognize that's my failure to appreciate them, not the fault of the sports themselves.  I like soccer and it's not an American sport ( well it is now, but not when I started watching ) but that doesn't mean I think its better than other sports. People tend to enjoy what they grow up with; you can learn a lot about a society by knowing their sports history. For example, Venezuela became a baseball country because American oil companies introduced the game there. British influence in Brazil and Argentina introduced soccer, which took off in the rest of South America. Cricket was introduced by the British as well, but failed to gain a foothold in North or South America ( Guyana being an exception ) but did make it in the West Indies, in fact its the 2nd biggest sport on the planet. Good luck trying to figure it out. Then there is Rugby, likely the 3rd most popular sport. Places like  Australia and New Zealand developed their own sports, and Americans introduced baseball and later basketball to a lot of other countries. i don't care for basketball because really, you have to be almost superhuman to be world class; it is not a sport for normal sized humans ( though yes, there are some exceptions, but I remember a coach once saying, give me a tall player, I'll make them into a basketball player, which has irritated non athletic tall people to no end...). There's also ice hockey, and net ball ( played by mostly women in Europe due to a misinterpretation of basketball rules when it was introduced ) and field hockey, badminton ( yes, I kid you not ). And guess what? I really enjoy figure skating. I think the stuff the skaters are able to do is mind blowing. And then, for most of my life, I didn't pay attention to any sports at all. The super bowl or world series could be going on and I couldn't even tell you who was playing, in fact just yesterday my wife asked when the super bowl was, and I said I don't know, maybe in a few weeks ( so we could plan a party menu LOL for my BIL).

Watch baseball. Best game there is.

• Weenie 1

24 minutes ago, North and West said:

Watch baseball. Best game there is.

I grew up playing it but I can't watch it. I simply don't have the attention span. The reason I like soccer is because it flows with minimal interruptions and then the game is done in two 45 min halves ( except in finals and playoffs ). A tied baseball game can go on for hours. Like I said, it's not the fault of the sport, I just can't get into it.  There was a reason it got booted from the Olympics; for the expense there just wasn't enough interest. There was some hope the baseball World Classic would help the game, but the tournament has largely been a failure in terms of interest, even right here in this country; I'll be watching because the US will play Colombia ( parts of Colombia play baseball ), my wife's country ( played them in soccer Saturday night, not a great game, 0-0, but an exhibition is not a good barometer, and neither the US or Colombia, which is an elite team, sent their top players ). I've had students over the years who just loved sports and didn't much care what was on as long as something was being played. That wasn't me. My favorite sport was angling, and you just can't watch that on tv ( well, people apparently do these days ). I have the same issue with NFL really; the ball is only really in play for a short period of time for the entire game, like 7-11 minutes, the rest is starting and stopping. Plus, in American sports you don't get to see players collapse in pain, then get up a second later and score a goal after a miraculous recovery.....but I recognize people love baseball and its part of the American psyche ( though I think it now takes a back seat to NFL and Basketball ) but that has been the history of the game; it has waxed and waned over the decades, with the low point during the 94 strike, then later with the steroid scandals. When a colleague wanted to send a baseball cap to a friend's kid in Europe, she was going to send a Mets cap, I said Heavens no, it has to be Yankees or Red Sox.....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

It looks like we are going to go without any snow this year. Did we really have more in 2020? I don't remember anything falling, but that year is hazy for obvious reasons.

Early December we had 2-3 from storm that hammered sne. We had a snow shower in February and then that was it….

This will be the worst winter in NYC history 

• BxEngine locked and unpinned this topic