Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter Banter Thread

Rjay

12 hours ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

I've wondered about the whole feast or famine thing here on LI.  Anecdotally, at least, it seemed true.  I started messing with some data I scrounged from a newsday web page showing annual snowfall totals since the 1950s.  I tried standard deviation first from 1950-1985, then 1986-2020, that showed a larger SD for the latter, but it was tough to visualize.  Then I tried taking the range of min to max annual snowfall for each decade.  That had surprising results, with the only real outlier being the 1980s.  Lastly, I threw out the min and max for each decade, figuring you'll have an anomaly on each end every decade, and then repeated the exercise.  I think this captures best what LibertyBell describes:

image.png.3102b690d8a4a76805787c4243e97b1e.png

I realize everything about this approach is probably an abomination to any scientist on here, but I figured what the heck, it's so slow right now I'll post it.

This is absolutely fascinating!  Just out of sheer curiosity, can you do the average SD per decade? I bet that would have some interesting results too.  It could be a per 30 year average SD too, but I'd also like to see a per decade approach like you did above.

19 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

A strong nino actually isn’t what you want. 82/83 and 15/16 lucked out with one big storm. 97/98 is more typical of what to expect with a strong nino. What you want is a weak to moderate nino. 

But we got 2/3 really good storms, so I'm not sure why 82-83 and 15-16 would be bad luck and not 97-98?

Those were two amazing HECS with the south shore getting the most snow of all in those events so I'd gamble on that.

Also there were other borderline strong el ninos too, like 57-58, 02-03 and 09-10, that were also very good.

19 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

A strong nino actually isn’t what you want. 82/83 and 15/16 lucked out with one big storm. 97/98 is more typical of what to expect with a strong nino. What you want is a weak to moderate nino. 

weak el nino is better for new england, we want a moderate and preferably a high end moderate to borderline strong.

13 minutes ago, North and West said:

My grandfather had the heart of a lion and a lifetime ban from the zoo.

Well at least he wasn't like the guy who got banned from the zoo....he got banned for doing stupid stuff like jumping into the tiger enclosure to impress his girlfriend.  The girlfriend snuck out the back way and said she didn't even know who the guy was, that she was only sitting next to him because that was the only seat left lmao.

14 hours ago, Nibor said:

Boomer humor...

13 hours ago, vegan_edible said:

i thought i was the only one under 30 on this thing

jk guys i like it here dont ban me 

40 minutes ago, North and West said:

My grandfather had the heart of a lion and a lifetime ban from the zoo.

Good morning Nibor, Vegan, N&W. No chance V. Actually many of us, behaviorally, are a lot younger than you. Stay well, as always …..

• Like 1

My friends in Germany have told me they have not seen a single snowflake fall in Berlin and the Alps are barren of snow with only small patches in Austria and Switzerland where people are being sent to the ER because they are "skiing" on small patches of snow and getting severely injured (as in dislocated spine injuries!)

These are the same places that had historic heat over the summer.

On the plus side the problems they could have faced with a cold winter and fuel shortages have not materialized.

16 hours ago, Rjay said:

Lol.  It looks just like something but they went with UFO.  

I was looking for a place to post this and this seems like as good a place as any.

I saw a fascinating documentary about ball lightning and why scientists were so skeptical about it for so long.  It really can't be replicated in the lab for any long duration-- they do reproduce the ball but it lasts for a vanishingly small amount of time before it disappears.

But they got the ultimate embarassment when a ball of lightning passed right through an airplane which contained scientists returning from a convention, it literally passed right down the aisle and from the nose of the plane right out the back.  Now they couldn't be skeptical of it any longer.

THE MORAL OF THE STORY IS NOT EVERYTHING THAT OCCURS IN NATURE IS REPRODUCIBLE IN A LAB..... SOME THINGS CAN'T BE EXPLAINED BY SCIENCE AND WE HAVE TO BE COMFORTABLE WITH THAT.

NATURE >>>>> SCIENCE

• Like 1

• BxEngine locked and unpinned this topic