Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter Banter Thread

Rjay

1 hour ago, Dark Star said:

If there is a major volcanic event in the northern hemisphere, what is the general lag time to affect the weather globally (or is this a ridiculous question)?

Apparently there is more than 1 volcano going off in Hawaii so I am curious to see how that effect weather globally 

• Like 1

Below is interesting article on feasibility of deliberately spreading particles in the stratosphere to stop global warming.

I am not an advocate of this idea, but do think it noteworthy that it's being reluctantly considered.  Maybe this should be in climate thread, but I wanted to share in the sub-forum I am familiar with.   

Dimming the Sun to Cool the Planet Is a Desperate Idea, Yet We're Inching Toward It. The scientists who study solar geoengineering don’t want anyone to try it. But climate inaction is making it more likely.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/annals-of-a-warming-planet/dimming-the-sun-to-cool-the-planet-is-a-desperate-idea-yet-were-inching-toward-it/amp

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Blizzwalker said:

Below is interesting article on feasibility of deliberately spreading particles in the stratosphere to stop global warming.

I am not an advocate of this idea, but do think it noteworthy that it's being reluctantly considered.  Maybe this should be in climate thread, but I wanted to share in the sub-forum I am familiar with.   

Dimming the Sun to Cool the Planet Is a Desperate Idea, Yet We're Inching Toward It. The scientists who study solar geoengineering don’t want anyone to try it. But climate inaction is making it more likely.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/annals-of-a-warming-planet/dimming-the-sun-to-cool-the-planet-is-a-desperate-idea-yet-were-inching-toward-it/amp

a bunch of very rich people are thinking of doing it on their own with or without any government help or consent.

This seems like an idea that will have wildly invariable and not-at-all-thought-out consequences. This is how snowpiercer happened.

5 hours ago, North and West said:

This seems like an idea that will have wildly invariable and not-at-all-thought-out consequences. This is how snowpiercer happened.

Forgot about Snowpiercer. I Think a lot of people on this board would love a train thru perpetual snow.                     Might get a whale of a Greenland block by dimming the sun !  But what happens to the MJO ??

• BxEngine locked and unpinned this topic