Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2022/23 Medium/Long Range Discussion

Chicago Storm

18 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

January 2014 was the snowiest Jan on record with 39.1". However we actually finished with normal to above normal snowfall in January 2015, 2017, and 2019.

But a majority of the time a lot of the activity comes the 2nd half of January. Below is the total snowfall at Detroit from January 15th through February 28th for the past 20 years. The average snowfall in that time frame is around 15", and actually the long term average is closer to 14". 

2002- 19.1"
2003- 24.6"
2004- 7.1"
2005- 27.2"
2006- 8.0"
2007- 20.3"
2008- 32.2"
2009- 20.6"
2010- 27.8"
2011- 39.8"
2012- 16.0"
2013- 32.9"
2014- 40.0"
2015- 31.2"
2016- 11.6"
2017- 9.4"
2018- 26.6"
2019- 21.3"
2020- 22.0"
2021- 26.8"
2022- 26.4"

Thanks for the stats. It seemed like it snowed everyday that January. I knew when it was happening that it was a once in 50 year kinda month/stretch we were on. Can you supply the stats for all those years for Jan alone? No worries if not. Happy new year. May the rest of the winter soon bring you snowcover and everything you enjoy in the winter. Im sorry I've been kinda a jerk towards you over the years. My new years goal is to support others more and what they love and respect what brings them joy.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stevo6899 said:

Thanks for the stats. It seemed like it snowed everyday that January. I knew when it was happening that it was a once in 50 year kinda month/stretch we were on. Can you supply the stats for all those years for Jan alone? No worries if not. Happy new year. May the rest of the winter soon bring you snowcover and everything you enjoy in the winter. Im sorry I've been kinda a jerk towards you over the years. My new years goal is to support others more and what they love and respect what brings them joy.

Lol thanks. We all like different aspects of the weather. Just have to appreciate that other people like different things. Even if someone who lives in the cold Midwest prefers tropical weather all the time, I can appreciate that, just not if their sole purpose is to troll. (Wonder who I'm talking about lol). Honestly, the actual conditions last week were downright brutal and from a weather perspective you would have enjoyed it. Then a fresh surprise blanket of Christmas snow. Now after a week of deep winter it's GROSS outside.  I would have easily sacrificed all the up-and-down active weather for just mundane run of the mill constant snow. 

January snow
2002    15.0    
2003    13.9    
2004    14.0    
2005    26.9    
2006    5.0    
2007    6.4    
2008    13.8    
2009    25.2    
2010    8.9    
2011    17.9    
2012    9.3    
2013    10.0    
2014    39.1    
2015    14.2    
2016    8.4
2017    11.8    
2018    9.2    
2019    14.2    
2020    9.7    
2021    6.4    
2022    8.8

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Lol thanks. We all like different aspects of the weather. Just have to appreciate that other people like different things. Even if someone who lives in the cold Midwest prefers tropical weather all the time, I can appreciate that, just not if their sole purpose is to troll. (Wonder who I'm talking about lol). Honestly, the actual conditions last week were downright brutal and from a weather perspective you would have enjoyed it. Then a fresh surprise blanket of Christmas snow. Now after a week of deep winter it's GROSS outside.  I would have easily sacrificed all the up-and-down active weather for just mundane run of the mill constant snow. 

January snow
2002    15.0    
2003    13.9    
2004    14.0    
2005    26.9    
2006    5.0    
2007    6.4    
2008    13.8    
2009    25.2    
2010    8.9    
2011    17.9    
2012    9.3    
2013    10.0    
2014    39.1    
2015    14.2    
2016    8.4
2017    11.8    
2018    9.2    
2019    14.2    
2020    9.7    
2021    6.4    
2022    8.8

Yea I saw the temps and wind chills. I'm a snow fan, and the brutal cold does nothing for me, even if its a blizzard for a few hours. I don't think anyone enjoys the kinda cold most the midwest saw recently. It's just a bummer all the cold was wasted with no legit snowstorm. Tbh it's been really muggy the last 2 days down here and it's been uncomfortable lol.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Stevo6899 said:

Yea I saw the temps and wind chills. I'm a snow fan, and the brutal cold does nothing for me, even if its a blizzard for a few hours. I don't think anyone enjoys the kinda cold most the midwest saw recently. It's just a bummer all the cold was wasted with no legit snowstorm. Tbh it's been really muggy the last 2 days down here and it's been uncomfortable lol.

It was neat to see but that kind of cold is brutal. It was hard to breathe. When I went out to clear my driveway I had ice on my face.

FB_IMG_1672616904683.jpg

From Larry Cosgrove:

Let us go a little more in-depth about the upcoming sudden stratospheric warming event. With an add-on of how the Madden-Julian Oscillation could be an influence in getting a winter re-start in North America in the second half of the month.

I realize with the rather boring temperature display in the USA and Canada, that any talk of an Arctic intrusion may be (mildly putting it....) triggering smirks from people enjoying the (predicted) January Thaw. But for about a week now, all four of the numerical model forecasts for the 10MB level have consistently shown a warming in the stratosphere over Russia that culminates in a (relatively) warm bubble aloft over Alaska, British Columbia and the Yukon Territory after January 15. When you see an SSW episode, look at the general flow, the position of the circumpolar vortex, and the extent of snow and ice cover. Upon doing this, you realize that a "Siberian Express" with cross-polar flow option could occur between January 15 and February 1. This configuration looks much stronger and longer-lived than the December cold surge and Great Lakes storm.

Of course things could change. But when I look at the rather inert Madden-Julian Oscillation, and see the various guidance pulsing the core to southwest of the Hawaiian Islands, and a linkage to the now disconnected polar westerlies, you can put together a "trouble brewing" scenario. I have seen similar cases of upper atmospheric disturbances and interplay, and will be looking for one of the northern stream impulses to dig through the southern tier of the U.S., then deepen as it heads up along and/off of the Eastern Seaboard. If the intensification occurs with great surface divergence and upper air convergence, the "Thaw" will leave town in a hurry.

2 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

I mean many times we've done fine with mil. February 2020 we had 15" with temperatures over 2゚ above average. 

K, I looked and yeah I too scored 18" in Marshall with a mostly warm month. But you'd have to agree that chips need to fall just right to get that outcome and unlike 17-18, this ongoing pattern hasn't been as friendly. To your other post from LC. I agree, each month's "arctic blast" is longer than the previous, thus Dec's was longer than November's. It is still an "arctic blast" or nothing temp regime and we have to get much luckier in the storm timing dept than we were this time around. 

Just now, Malacka11 said:

Nice to hear that there's at least a chance for a chance or two to emerge but honestly being teased with feet of snow for Christmas burned me so bad that I'm genuinely numb now. No nerve endings left

Yeah, you Chicagoans (and surrounding CWA's) got the real-deal SEMI treatment by the models. I'm trying to get used to it, but not sure that's ever gonna happen. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, hardypalmguy said:

Look. Let’s face the facts. January is looking like a write off for anything winter worthy. Let’s hope February comes through for the snow weenies but maybe it’s time to embrace full spring mode already?

What's this new compassion

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, RogueWaves said:

Yeah, you Chicagoans (and surrounding CWA's) got the real-deal SEMI treatment by the models. I'm trying to get used to it, but not sure that's ever gonna happen. 

Me neither, deep down. I think a real weenie by definition can't get used to it. But it was really looking so golden -timing, trends, etc- that I let myself be fooled. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RogueWaves said:

K, I looked and yeah I too scored 18" in Marshall with a mostly warm month. But you'd have to agree that chips need to fall just right to get that outcome and unlike 17-18, this ongoing pattern hasn't been as friendly. To your other post from LC. I agree, each month's "arctic blast" is longer than the previous, thus Dec's was longer than November's. It is still an "arctic blast" or nothing temp regime and we have to get much luckier in the storm timing dept than we were this time around. 

There's been many examples. I just pulled the most recent one. There's also examples of cold patterns that produce below average snow. There no set rhyme or reason, its just obvious that when you get closer to the dead of Winter, milder than average weather is much more workable to still yield snow. Will there be more Winter weather this year? Absolutely. How much? No idea. I hate bringing this up but it's the truth. I'll continue to look the other way until it is March or April and it has happened, but Detroit is definitely due for some trash snow seasons. The 2010s were the snowiest decade on record and the 2000s were also snowier than average. And by trash Winter, I don't mean periods of suck but then we still get a snow blitz that brings us to average snowfall. I mean a true well below average snow season once its done in April, something which we have had very very few of recently. Average isn't average if it's never below. 

• Like 2