Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2022 Medium-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

1 minute ago, Eskimo Joe said:

During the 2016 blizzard, the GFS handled the northern stream energy better than the Euro, Ukmet, and Canadian in the D5 - D7 range. We might be seeing that again.

As a whole if you're dealing with some sort of major northern branch difference in the models there has been a tendency the last 5-7 years for the GFS to own the CMC and Euro, especially in the La Nina years.  Obviously 15-16 was not but many times the last few winters there has been a northern stream "Argument" amongst the big 3 models at D5-7 and the GFS has seemingly won that argument most of the time due to the La Nina state IMO

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

Just now, SnowGoose69 said:

As a whole if you're dealing with some sort of major northern branch difference in the models there has been a tendency the last 5-7 years for the GFS to own the CMC and Euro, especially in the La Nina years.  Obviously 15-16 was not but many times the last few winters there has been a northern stream "Argument" amongst the big 3 models at D5-7 and the GFS has seemingly won that argument most of the time due to the La Nina state IMO

Agreed. It does seem that when there is a northern stream dominant event, the newer GFS does seem to latch onto things quicker than the CMC and Euro. I am wondering if it is getting better assimilation of data from North America? 

7 minutes ago, Heisy said:

Exactly, that’s all I was pointing out. Interesting that there are such large scale issues regarding this feature at only 84-90 hours out. Was showing the Icon as an example of a model dumping it out west.

It’s kinda funny I haven’t even looked at anything past 90 hours yet. I’ve seen enough posts to know it goes on to show a snowstorm but I’m still parsing the 72-90 hour panels and comparing with the euro to try to figure out what’s causing the divergence and see if I can ascertain which progression is more likely.  The details “after” are less important since they won’t be correct at that range anyways. But one progression gives us a legit chance at a big snow and the other does not. So figuring that out is all I care about right now.  Wish I knew the biases and tendencies of the new GFS. Dumping too much energy into the west is an old school euro bias but I don’t know if that’s true anymore either. 

• Like 8

Time for another weenie handbook quote...Back to 1st edition, chaper 1, section 1 2nd paragraph. This is one of our first quotes..."When models are diverging at 5-7 days we say 'The energy in the PAC or NW Teritories is not being sampled properly due to sparse data'". 

We also hug the piss out of the snowiest and most threatening model. Go GFS LFG!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Weenie 2