• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2022 Medium-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

Something I noticed. Trying to figure out why our shortwave for the 22-23rd is digging so much more in the last 24hrs worth of runs. I think it’s this lead shortwave that moves through the Lakes around D4-5. It sort of merges with and pulls a piece of the 50-50 low west. This provides a lot more suppression of our shortwave and forces it well south. Compare yesterday and todays 18z GFS runs. 

EC06BE69-4A59-4FAE-9613-F598F80F0AA9.png

FE12BC5E-2681-476F-B2E3-A5408FF3FD06.png

• Like 8

One thing is becoming more clear, and this is just my observation. While we may not be trending HECS or otherwise we ARE starting to see almost every possibility giving us accumulating snows in one form or another late next week. Even with the sw racing out ahead, the phase mistimed, a flatter PNA, etc...we are quickly closing in on a system that it snows with almost regardless of precise timing. One of those situations possibly where it just finds a way to snow. LFG!

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Not sure if it will come together, but if we didn’t have a digital HECS 48hrs before this panel, I’d be stoked. This is a canonical look. #CAPEStorm2022

C7F01C4E-8DB6-4809-BB3C-15A4BE84ED87.png

Hell of a look for a follow up HECS (Feb 2010) LOL.. just need a few adjustments to get the shortwave as advertised more neutral and we got something.

1671991200-rlSrhUlRz5k.png

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

We’re basically at D7 for the storm being on our door step. Long way to go but I like where we sit for now. I’d like to see us in a similar position (with wiggle room to maintain a nice event) around 0z Sunday. 

Everyone should also remember that even an area wide 3-6” type event would be HIGH TIER for mid-Atlantic La Niña December’s.

Exactly!  If we can get a blustery 3-6" powder and some truly cold air that goes through Christmas weekend, that's a HUGE win in my book.  Like I said earlier, everyone was all ga-ga  (understandably) over the GFS showing an Arctic front blasting through with a brief period of decent snow the other day.  Point being that (most!) everyone would have been all for that even with just a couple inches of snow.  Now some other things are coming into perhaps better focus with the evolution here, in a good way for us.  Let's hope that continues.  I'd really only be disappointed if we get almost nothing and then a blast of dry cold.  But we don't have to get a HECS either (I'd take it, to be sure!).

21 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

straight up triple phaser. beautiful evolution aloft

it's becoming clear that there's a lot of ways to score with this potential system... that's how you know the pattern is good

gfs_z500_vort_us_fh162-192.thumb.gif.0f4c2a7d0310cd386d2b00a30b2c0549.gif

Right...and very good point.  We've seen different solutions from the GFS and Euro today, though overall the same general setup.  And all of those outcomes drop some decent snow here while it's more than plenty cold.  Can't complain at that.  Having some good leeway is a huge plus, let's hope that's real in the end.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Thats like 1/4 northeast of the USA under some form of wintry precip. Talk about an expansive precip shield and thats with the mean ens lp leaning well off the coast. We take.

Well for what it's worth looking closely, there's a hint of a trough extending northwest through the Lakes area.  Probably the effect of various other solutions.

59 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Snow into the cities by 0z next Thursday. Looks a bit euro like. But think this will end satisfactorily for most.

It does look VERY euro like but a little less strung out and more dominant with the “second secondary” so a little better result. The double barrel structure still limits a top end outcome a bit but no one (except one persons) would complain.  I still kinda doubt it ends up that way. Maybe. It could. But I’ve seen this look a lot at range and 90% of the time it ends up a more consolidated system when we’re talking about this kind of upper level feature involved. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CAPE said:

All the maps aside, 18z GEFS is very similar to 12z for next week in every way. On to the next one..

I finally looked at it. Actually farther west than 12z. This next week is going to be nuts in here :lol: White Christmas fever going to make crazy weenies 

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1