Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
December 2022 Medium-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

27 minutes ago, Kevin Reilly said:

So, we are in the game, and we still have time Ralph!  Actually, its pretty early in the game only 2 minutes into the 1st quarter.  (Football analogy there)  

I think it is more tho than just the handoff and the track verbatim. Even a perfect track is playing with fire in the i95 corridor and even just slight n and w mainly because of the prolonged SE fetch out ahead. You have a rotting primary somewhere in the midwest with the nao forcing redevelopment way far S and e away from said primary. Especially without an anomalously cold antecedent airmass, those mid levels are going to get toasted most likely. 

But as you said, lots of time to fine tune. If i were in elevated interior areas i would be bricked up after 12z fr fr.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CAPE said:

An op run snow map at this range is clown either way dude.

Today the GFS caved to the EURO.  And we are supposed to take its new solution when everyone is saying the GFS just made a thermal adjustment of some kind????  I think this could go either way five days out as it always can, but there is no reason to give the GFS more credence when it is playing catch-up.  And when is the Canadian ever correct?

It's a shame there is literally zero deep cold anywhere to help. Mid level temp maps look terrible. Lol. You know there's something really wrong when a blocked surface low totally ignores the baroclinic zone off the coast because it's impotent. So what's left is a complicated  mess both at the surface and upper levels. Our "complicated" batting avg needs a pinch hitter or something 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

Today the GFS caved to the EURO.  And we are supposed to take its new solution when everyone is saying the GFS just made a thermal adjustment of some kind????  I think this could go either way five days out as it always can, but there is no reason to give the GFS more credence when it is playing catch-up.  And when is the Canadian ever correct?

Not sure what you are on about here. I focus on the synoptics and the features at the surface and aloft each model cycle, so I guess I see things from a different perspective than you do.

It's maps like these that suck the air out of the room.

It's the very beginning of our snow climo and that always requires at least a modest BN temp profile where it counts. Especially when slp is fighting to bring it down into the mix. In mid Jan, marginal or AN mid level temps to our north work fine because it's pretty cold anyways. I'd love to see snow as much as anyone but temps are not an ingredient we skip over too easily 

ecmwf_T850a_us_38.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 7

3 hours ago, Lowershoresadness said:

can you pick up a package for me? Go to the Nana plaza. Ask for Matilda!  thanks

Many much more classy places to go than Nana.  At times it is off-limits to farong (foreigners) and can be a violent place when folks misbehave.  Lived not far from it for nearly 3 years.  

83-84 was a stinker here but 83 featured a nasty arctic outbreak leading into the holidays. Mid-Dec 83 500mb analogs have been popping up regularly last 4-5 days. It did snow a few inches that Dec pre-holiday. From afar, it doesn't look like a huge artic outbreak is ripe but certainly possible. Something to watch. If the epo ridge starts freezing western Canada, it's only a matter of time b4 a lot of cold pushes pretty far south and east. 

• Like 2

Honestly, I can't believe I'm saying this, but this is one of the nicer setups here in a sense. A lot of our threats are usually thread-the-needle/one phase can mess up the whole storm kind of storm, but this one is just us relying on one trough and its track. Cold is there associated w/ the trough, just need a good track. The better track (06z GFS yesterday/00z Euro) would definitely fare well here.

5 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

WB 12Z EPS at the end of its run….cold Christmas morn.

2E278368-47F5-4E26-A619-32125CB2680E.png

970B615C-498A-4F09-95D2-74C71B9DEF57.png

Everything considered, including comments from several media outlets regarding frigid conditions in the East near Christmas, its not really that cold. We had colder  already, teens as low temps were recorded at many locations.  That was when we had the record - EPO a while back. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

No matter how many times you say it the usual suspects will still melt down and unleash a rant in tongues when it fails. 

As you know, the rule of thumb is once the surface low is north of our latitude, the precipitation shuts off in these situations. What could keep it going is lift generated by the 500mb low, which euro does seem to show.

49 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

It's a shame there is literally zero deep cold anywhere to help. Mid level temp maps look terrible. Lol. You know there's something really wrong when a blocked surface low totally ignores the baroclinic zone off the coast because it's impotent. So what's left is a complicated  mess both at the surface and upper levels. Our "complicated" batting avg needs a pinch hitter or something 

So in a word...this came about a couples weeks too early? Lol

56 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Yeah i can’t get hyped about snow chances with this storm as of yet. Can’t ignore the obvious with Tangier to Kent Island type track. Climo and just too much warm air flooding in. 

Big ass block can only do so much and if there isn’t help with a decent cold air source then mids win

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AtlanticWx said:

Honestly, I can't believe I'm saying this, but this is one of the nicer setups here in a sense. A lot of our threats are usually thread-the-needle/one phase can mess up the whole storm kind of storm, but this one is just us relying on one trough and its track. Cold is there associated w/ the trough, just need a good track. The better track (06z GFS yesterday/00z Euro) would definitely fare well here.

I would be worried about marginal cold air prior to the system and pretty toasty Atlantic Waters and the winds in off the ocean.  I do not see how this system is a purely wintery affair the only way is if the whole set up is further east.

4 minutes ago, Kevin Reilly said:

I would be worried about marginal cold air prior to the system and pretty toasty Atlantic Waters and the winds in off the ocean.  I do not see how this system is a purely wintery affair the only way is if the whole set up is further east.

We have a pretty strong high to our north with CAD which is usually undermodeled so the cold air at the surface does come from a decent source. But yeah, I don't think we get a purely snow event, but a wintry mix -> snow and maybe some rain is definitely plausible.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, frd said:

Everything considered, including comments from several media outlets regarding frigid conditions in the East near Christmas, its not really that cold. We had colder  already, teens as low temps were recorded at many locations.  That was when we had the record - EPO a while back. 

Looks pretty mundane. gfs run at 384 very wet out west