Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2022 Medium-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

8 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

I’m on my phone so hard to post too many graphics but that forecast trend out west has totally flipped.

697D7E32-6625-4FC7-8336-DAEA2AFF2F44.thumb.png.aa8555d219b076bed309217c16af1626.png3DB1BD94-B0B7-410C-A8E3-6CD458A678EE.thumb.png.864241e291e0e4ec7e3235b5ce67f3e7.png

It’s handling the Siberian PV a lot more like the eps. Seems to be all somewhat due to a much more extended Pac jet. Maybe due to an East Asian mountain torque event?A9C04FC9-093B-4063-B5E2-B9B49D9C74A6.thumb.png.9c6159ce1c03344f47a3b24c917a1174.png

I looked at the NPAC jet on all 3 global means this morning and the EPS and GEPS were similar(more extended). Looks like GEFS may be playing catchup this time.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CAPE said:

I looked at the NPAC jet on all 3 global means this morning and the EPS and GEPS were similar(more extended). Looks like GEFS may be playing catchup this time.

Eric Webber is usually on top of EAMT and jet extensions.  Waiting to see what he has to say.

12 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

Eric Webber is usually on top of EAMT and jet extensions.  Waiting to see what he has to say.

I looked at both MJO and Pacific jet configuration and the latter stood out as the bigger difference between the EPS/GEPS and the GEFS, and a possible reason for the disparity between the advertised patterns in the EPO/PNA space.

eta- I have read his threads on EAMT and he seems very knowledgeable on the subject. All complicated stuff. My observations are via my untrained eye.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, nj2va said:

WRT to the Friday/Saturday deal, Euro with some mood flakes and maybe some slushly accumulations for favored areas (10:1 show accumulation but temps are above freeing).  I'd even take some snow TV that doesn't accumulate for festive purposes.

Saw that! Bring it! 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

@WxUSAF watch the EPS go the other way now 

Wouldn’t shock me in the least

37 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Seeing +Height anomalies in the HL regions(not the norm) is always better than the inverse. We have something to work with. 

Yes. GEFS still scours Canada free from most cold air, but that H5 look is light years better than it’s inverse.

34 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Yeah, I had to eyeball it as TT has no forecast trend plots for 250mb winds, but looked like a noticeable extension and strengthening after D7-8 on the 12z vs earlier runs.

• Like 3

WRT to the Friday/Saturday deal, Euro with some mood flakes and maybe some slushly accumulations for favored areas (10:1 show accumulation but temps are above freeing).  I'd even take some snow TV that doesn't accumulate for festive purposes.

Encouraging to see the “event” live after an off run or two and while the other models trend a bit colder. Still got 4 days to will something a little more interesting to happen.
  • Like 1
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, North Balti Zen said:

I always assume when there are two different camps that one won't completely cave to the other, but rather that they will end up meeting somewhere in the middle. Which...would not be optimal. 

Maybe maybe not. The EPS pattern shown by @DarkSharkWX is “good” not “great”. More -EPO than +PNA and the ridging in the NAO is not a true block. But still a -AO. I’d certainly take it. 

• Like 3

GFS is incrementally better… baby steps.

Maybe also worth noting the 18z NAM at 84 (I know) is running a general 3-4 degrees C colder than the GFS at the same time. Not sure the NAM would’ve gone anywhere super interesting regardless but there is room for a widening of the snow TV range. RGEM is even colder.
  • Like 5

One reason today's afternoon EPS was worse than 0z is due to the placement and strength of the Aleutian low. Comparing 12z to 0z, we see that the Aleutian low in 12z is weaker and further west. A stronger + further east Aleutian low allows for a more poleward western ridge to setup, and along with the -EPO and -NAO/-AO, allows for cold to press on the EC and gives us the great look.

Note: The 12z EPS today is certainly not bad at all, and is still a good look, just not as good as previous runs and not the "textbook" setup.

eps_z500a_nhem_fh282_trend.gif

eps_mslpa_npac_fh282_trend.gif

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

As @Weather Will shows there, 18z GEFS maintains more or less a similar look to 12z but more emphasizing the -EPO vs +PNA. All 3 ensemble systems have the -EPO in place by D8.   D8 has more or less been our can kick point so that’s encouraging. Deeper into the runs they all get a cross-polar flow look as the EPO ridge goes across the AO domain. That will recharge Canada with very cold air if it happens eventually.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Maybe also worth noting the 18z NAM at 84 (I know) is running a general 3-4 degrees C colder than the GFS at the same time. Not sure the NAM would’ve gone anywhere super interesting regardless but there is room for a widening of the snow TV range. RGEM is even colder.

Yeah, really wondering what they di with the gfs upgrade. Makes you curious to whether they felt there was still a cold bias and adjusted to that too much. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Daniel Boone said:

Yeah, really wondering what they di with the gfs upgrade. Makes you curious to whether they felt there was still a cold bias and adjusted to that too much. 

I can’t find the link right now but apparently they did adjust gfs in the recent upgrade to account for temps in marginal setups (e.g. overly cold previously).

• Thanks 1

No “storm” is also an option lol — 00z NAM says what system
  • Sad 1