Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2022 Medium-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

1 hour ago, Weather Will said:

WB 6Z torch v 12z cold-slight differences ;). It is clear that you have to take the global models with 7 grains of salt in this pattern at the end of their ranges.

56BF29B3-31CD-49FA-BAB3-085E4CB85F4D.png

AB683E1A-0857-4CCD-AFEF-05660E77993B.png

OP at range should always be taken with a grain of salt.

Not useful past 5 days

28 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Some seem to think there's been a can-kick, but I'm not seeing that. Mid-Dec was always the more favorable period, right? And today's runs are still showing the pattern change the week of the 11th, aren't they? Unless I'm not looking at it right, lol

Wreaths Across America is 12/17. I'd like it actually feel like December that day. 

• Like 1

The present Nina, our climo and the crummy Pac appears to be countering the - AO and - NAO.  At least that is my thought. Might be a while for a decent pattern here. 

According to Don the - PNA regime will last a while.    

Here is his post on the PNA

From  @donsutherland1    

Statistically, insight regarding strong AO+ values proved useful in heralding the arrival of AO blocking in late November. A sustained AO- regime commenced on November 23.

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/58336-november-2022/?do=findComment&comment=6681570

Statistical trends in the PNA following the most similar December 3 cases suggest that, just as is shown on the dynamical guidance, the ongoing PNA- regime will be slow to breakdown. By the end of the third week in December, values should be less negative than they currently are. However, the development of sustained positive values by that time seems unlikely (not zero, but still a less than one-in-three probability).

image.jpeg.4d059ef1ba45c6e7e381a5700398f5da.jpeg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, frd said:

The present Nina, our climo and the crummy Pac appears to be countering the - AO and - NAO.  At least that is my thought. Might be a while for a decent pattern here. 

According to Don the - PNA regime will last a while.    

Here is his post on the PNA

From  @donsutherland1    

Statistically, insight regarding strong AO+ values proved useful in heralding the arrival of AO blocking in late November. A sustained AO- regime commenced on November 23.

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/58336-november-2022/?do=findComment&comment=6681570

Statistical trends in the PNA following the most similar December 3 cases suggest that, just as is shown on the dynamical guidance, the ongoing PNA- regime will be slow to breakdown. By the end of the third week in December, values should be less negative than they currently are. However, the development of sustained positive values by that time seems unlikely (not zero, but still a less than one-in-three probability).

image.jpeg.4d059ef1ba45c6e7e381a5700398f5da.jpeg

If that's the case December is pretty much sunk again...unless we can get it to hover around neutral for a time. Crying shame we gotta waste all the blocking...but it is a nina. I don't understand why people give me grief in here for not liking thus enso state, lol This is what it does!

• Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

7 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Crying shame we gotta waste all the blocking

We wasted a ton of blocking 2 winters ago. But all of the cold air ended up trapped on the other side of the Hemisphere that winter. We have been relatively cold. We dont need straight out of the Arctic ball shrinking cold to snow. We just need enough.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

We wasted a ton of blocking 2 winters ago. But all of the cold air ended up trapped on the other side of the Hemisphere that winter. We have been relatively cold. We dont need straight out of the Arctic ball shrinking cold to snow. We just need enough.

Oh yes two winters ago that was just unlucky...that was our solar minimum blocking too, lol We just haven't been able to line up good blocking with other things. Man we better not finally get a modoki next year then have jack diddly for blocking...that would be just dumbdy-dumb

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SnowenOutThere said:

Because it is almost the only thing you post about, they aren't helpful posts either, they just complain about our enso state. They provide no value other than to depress the thread. 

Not the "only thing"...not even close. Did I not share things earlier? Talk about the what the ensembles were showing? Pattern change and such? I have been making the effort to be more productive and nobody is givin' me credit. But it's kinda whatever.

For every nina post I'll make a productive one, how about that?

• Weenie 3

Hm...that -PNA persistence could explain why even the Euro/Eps aren't spitting out the pretty looks they were. So I could be wrong about what I posted earlier...still gotta wait and see in future runs if our favorite blue ball in the pac starts reappearing when the run gets to the week of the 11th.

For the record: A productive post.

Nice article about the current nina and upcoming nino

https://www.severe-weather.eu/long-range-2/winter-season-cold-enso-2022-el-nino-event-2023-weather-forecast-united-states-canada-fa/

Basically saying while the Nina is still pretty healthy it likely has peaked. Also noted warming in the western region since October

• Like 1