Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2022 Medium-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

4 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

WB 12Z EPS has PNA heading in the positive direction and getting to neutral by the 13th….hopefully that verifies.

03B076AC-3F5B-419D-92DF-C1789D8BE049.png

That's really encouraging. I'd like to see it nose up to a +1/+2 and settle there. Obviously since we are in a La Nina base state the Pacific can only get so cooperative, but to see it trend that way is good. A raging -PNA for weeks on end would just flood us with Pacific puke.

16 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

The neat thing about that storm was the fact that it was just a solid cold powder event with minimal temp issues. It really illustrated how strong the blocking was setting up that winter. Ironically, I was at a geography conference in New Paltz, NY in October 2009 and there was a grad student at SUNY who was researching NAO spatial relationships with the upcoming winter. They had forecast that a NAO which went negative during the summer, and was focused near a certain lat/lon had a statistically significant correlation to above average snowfall but not necessarily temperature in the northeast US. they had gone out on a limb and said the summer of 2009 NAO matched up with a forecast of above average snowfall for the upcoming winter. I've been trying to find the conference proceedings from that event to see if I could get the presentation or locate the authors, but alas I've come up empty.

Yeah that's the benchmark down here.  I had 29" IMBY when all was said and done.  Glory days.  

53 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

Good one. I’m still skeptical of a big snow because of the big -nao for this exact reason. -pna is a bit too negative for my liking… for now. Could change as modeled, though. And if this plays out like those two analogs, we could be looking at a really good January. 

Which is probably better as far as climo goes for our region. We can snow in December obviously. Especially our here. But Jan/Feb are out bread and butter. Like I said a few days ago I would be fine with punting the NAO relaxing into early Jan. Prime climo for a bomb. 

Edited because Apparently my brain has confused the R and T keys for some reason. Carry on. 

I’d just wait. It’s 180 hours but more important there are multiple waves between now and then which will impact the outcome. 
At least this first potential threat on 9th/10th would blow up Doug Ks overall winter forecast.
Just first of many upcoming runs 4f658ad38715082d7d6bdee36e08aa0a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

0z Euro ens and GEFS both have the wave for Dec 9-10. A decent setup as advertised. In both cases the wave weakens as it moves eastward towards the coast, more so on the EPS. Indications of another wave on its heels, esp on the EPS, which aligns with the 0z Euro op- it weakens the initial wave with a more significant one developing in the south central US and moving east a couple days later. Just at the initial stage in the evolution of the pattern at this point, and my sense on this period has been that it might offer a chance to get on the board early for some. At this point it looks like places further inland/southwest in our region might have the best shot.

1670608800-5WgtB2lc2E8.png

1670630400-GROoya030Uo.png

• Like 5

1 minute ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I’m a little surprised that the snow map weenie folks didn’t snap awake a few minutes ago. 

From the 06z GFS?  Looked decent for the Dec 8-10 time frame.  Very nice strong HP in Quebec at the same time, so not too concerned with precip type as shown

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

You gotta love the look at the end of the 0z EPS run. The trifecta up top with ideal west based -NAO, and just entering the better snow climo window at that point for the MA lowlands.

1671235200-55jVkkRhrL0.png

Nice look again in the eps LR. Would be cool to see this start moving up in time and not stuck out past 300hrs+ but you know the game....these looks are great on paper but it's the slightly flawed pattern perfection where we actually cash in (9th-10th ie?)

Just now, PrinceFrederickWx said:

If that storm verifies then Dec. 9 is the new Dec. 5 IMBY. It would be the third time in five years that I’ve had accumulating snow on that date.

It'll verify.  I'm due to fly home that day from SFO.  when I booked that trip in Oct I knew then it would snow one of those days that week.  maybe I can make it back in time for some back end love

9 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

The ensemble snow probability maps inside 10 days are not impressive yet, but I will post them if they start to light up….

Personally, I don't want an amped storm at the start of this pattern change. Let's just get a nice cold powder, plowable storm to get us on the board. It's going to take a bit to knock down the SE ridge and I don't want to give that thing any more juice. Plus, December climo is hostile to snow to begin with. Anything we get this early on is house money.

• Like 1

Just now, Solution Man said:

I’ll also be in SFO from 5-9 Dec

interesting.  we may be on the same flight home.  I land at 645pm IAD.  should be interesting if anything actually occurs frozen.  IAD does a nice job keeping things moving unless you need to de-ice.  then its no mans land

3 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

interesting.  we may be on the same flight home.  I land at 645pm IAD.  should be interesting if anything actually occurs frozen.  IAD does a nice job keeping things moving unless you need to de-ice.  then its no mans land

Flying AA, will be on the 4:09pm into IAD via Dallas, will adjust fire if it amounts to anything 

17 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Personally, I don't want an amped storm at the start of this pattern change. Let's just get a nice cold powder, plowable storm to get us on the board. It's going to take a bit to knock down the SE ridge and I don't want to give that thing any more juice. Plus, December climo is hostile to snow to begin with. Anything we get this early on is house money.

I am setting my expectations low because although the ensembles look good, you have to keep climo in mind for December:  A 1-3 inch storm region wide to get on the board this winter and temps in the 30s on Christmas would be a great start to the winter.  If we get better, I will be pleasantly surprised.  But one should not set the bar too high in December….

• Like 2