Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2022 Medium-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

27 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Hey as one who has endured a litany of Cleveland sports agony, I endorse this sentiment! :lol: The drive, the fumble, the Jordan shot at the buzzer, two World Series losses in extra innings of game 7!

But you do get the occasional bright spots (2016 NBA championship in an exciting game 7)!

So 2016 was like Snowmageddon? :lol: And I was just watching the uh...Kick 6 (someone Tweeted it since it was 7 years ago today, lol). I'm a Ravens fan but still--I'm so sorry man, lol (and that year was so bad for the Ravens, the win didn't make a difference for the playoffs...but nevertheless it happened, and became one of the few highlights)

12z EPS compared to pattern right before Boxing Day Storm in 2010. EPS if anything looks better with more favorable Pacific. While we got missed out on 2010, the pattern was great, we just got unlucky with the storms. EPS has been really consistent with pattern unlike GEFS who we are seeing make moves towards GEFS with better trends in Pacific. Pattern seems to favor us really well, hopefully the big storm we've been waiting for comes soon. That block in Arctic will do us wonders with cold air

Composite Plot

• Like 9

0z Euro runs a wave to our south on the 10th and snows on VA. Near hit. Clean and simple. The setup is nice. Highs and lows positioned where we want them for a frozen event. Low pressure ideally would be further NE off the Maritimes to avoid damping/suppressing the wave as it heads towards the coast, but it is an op run that shows the generally favorable setups we can get with a legit -NAO.

1670652000-QGqvkVWZADo.png

0z GFS has a modest wave with a similar outcome in the same window, a bit earlier.

• Like 9
  • Weenie 1

gfs-ens_z500a_namer_52.png

That block is unreal. I mean you cant really ask for a better look as far as East Coast snowstorms go. The block backs over Baffin as this Gefs run moves to mid month as the block weakens as well. That is probably our prime window to get hammered. A weakening block with it retrograding over Baffin just screams beatdown for us. When I was calling out the mid December period a couple of weeks ago it was pure speculation. It is starting to get more real now IMO. 

• Like 10
  • Weenie 2

6 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Hopefully the reload is short lived and we can maintain something good through Jan 10 - 15.

The pattern might just morph from one favorable configuration to another, like the CFS is suggesting. Not typically how things roll, but this could be one of those winters.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

gfs-ens_z500a_namer_52.png

That block is unreal. I mean you cant really ask for a better look as far as East Coast snowstorms go. The block backs over Baffin as this Gefs run moves to mid month as the block weakens as well. That is probably our prime window to get hammered. A weakening block with it retrograding over Baffin just screams beatdown for us. When I was calling out the mid December period a couple of weeks ago it was pure speculation. It is starting to get more real now IMO. 

The only thing we need is for there to be shortwaves coming at us from the southwest. As we all know, if we have to rely on the northern stream to get it done for us, then we're teetering precariously on the edge. But yeah...that look is pretty phenomenal. How about we just get a bowling ball that rocks out of Colorado and straight across the country?

I do have a question for anyone who can answer: If we do rely more on the northern stream, is it helpful to have the ridge axis a little further west or do we still want it ideally running though Idaho?

• Like 1