Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2022 Medium-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

6 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

The -NAO starts building at D5. That’s not fantasy land.

plus the mechanisms that kick it off are already getting underway in the Scandi/Kara Sea region. would be a pretty ugly bust on ensembles for -NAO not to materialize. more about details etc. from earlier today with some quotes from Wes: https://wapo.st/3io8anP

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, yoda said:

Hello stranger.

Nice article by the way

Thanks! Think I'm quitting Twitter so maybe I'll remember to come here lol. 

Prob more a game of details like how/if suppression, how long it lasts etc. Background state shouldn't support it for a long time but they do roll once you get strong -NAO/-AO. Boxing Day has been #1 for a while so prepare for DC flurries. 

image.png.6be4118503b0d9eac38bb79c544e0814.png

This is a great pattern advertised tho. I mean can't ask for a ton more at this range except maybe for a Nino instead of a nina. 

• Like 15

2 hours ago, Ian said:

plus the mechanisms that kick it off are already getting underway in the Scandi/Kara Sea region. would be a pretty ugly bust on ensembles for -NAO not to materialize. more about details etc. from earlier today with some quotes from Wes: https://wapo.st/3io8anP

Wow a blast from the past. This must be a good sign. Welcome back, great to have you posting again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ian said:

Thanks! Think I'm quitting Twitter so maybe I'll remember to come here lol. 

Prob more a game of details like how/if suppression, how long it lasts etc. Background state shouldn't support it for a long time but they do roll once you get strong -NAO/-AO. Boxing Day has been #1 for a while so prepare for DC flurries. 

image.png.6be4118503b0d9eac38bb79c544e0814.png

This is a great pattern advertised tho. I mean can't ask for a ton more at this range except maybe for a Nino instead of a nina. 

82 winter the record setting Cold Sundays and 79 the bomb snow. 

and of course Hi Ian!!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ian said:

Great seeing you here. Well written article!

Seeing some hints among the members for something around the 12th-13th. These blocky patterns sometimes have to mature a bit before we get our chances, but this timeframe might be the first shot at a significant event for the MA. 6 hour panels so there are a few others prior to and after this window.

1670868000-T8gNyfpTHqM.png

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, frd said:

@CAPE  big storm potential leading up to Christmas.  

Based on the advertised progression that makes some sense. We haven't done big Dec snow often, esp lately, so we shall see how much a milder climo factors in. These patterns don't tend to be super cold, but generally just cold enough, which in the past has worked out pretty well.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, nj2va said:

I’m flying out on the 12th for a work trip and returning on the 15th. It’ll certainly snow here that week. :mapsnow:

Ha. I’m traveling that week also. Mentally calculating how much it would cost me in a one way rental car to get home for our KU if my flight gets cancelled :weenie:

• Sad 1
  • Weenie 1

6 minutes ago, CAPE said:

CFS also going Aleutian low/ amped EPO ridge at the end of Dec into Jan. This would bring legit cold.

1672444800-jcwZrwfNCBI.png

Yes, signs point to a significant - EPO reload.  Of note as well, are signs of a warming event near the pole. The pattern is locked and loaded it would appear. 

Should the pattern evolve as modeled significant snow cover will be located to our North and West and maybe over our region as well. Appears that the cryosphere will be healthy to deliver the possibility of intense cold originating in NW Canada then moving SE over snow covered grounds with little moderation at a time of very low sun angle and solar output.   Something not seen in a very, very long time.  A 1960s analog type deal. 

Also, this is the last day of the month so I give the CFS a decent chance of verifying for December.  It should be in its wheelhouse of best skill for the next month.   

• Like 6

1 hour ago, frd said:

Yes, signs point to a significant - EPO reload.  Of note as well, are signs of a warming event near the pole. The pattern is locked and loaded it would appear. 

Should the pattern evolve as modeled significant snow cover will be located to our North and West and maybe over our region as well. Appears that the cryosphere will be healthy to deliver the possibility of intense cold originating in NW Canada then moving SE over snow covered grounds with little moderation at a time of very low sun angle and solar output.   Something not seen in a very, very long time.  A 1960s analog type deal. 

Also, this is the last day of the month so I give the CFS a decent chance of verifying for December.  It should be in its wheelhouse of best skill for the next month.   

CFS sniffed out the blocky look that now appears imminent pretty early. There isn't much not to like about that look. Can even see the indication of energy taking the southern route under the ridge and ejecting eastward.

• Like 3

Just now, CAPE said:

CFS sniffed out the blocky look that now appears eminent pretty early. There isn't much not to like about that look. Can even see the indication of energy taking the southern route under the ridge and ejecting eastward.

I mean the 12z CFS from yesterday gives me 30 inches of snow throughout December so I'll take it, in fact, it even has your December 13th snowstorm. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CAPE said:

CFS sniffed out the blocky look that now appears eminent pretty early. There isn't much not to like about that look. Can even see the indication of energy taking the southern route under the ridge and ejecting eastward.

Weenie question but is that indicated by those squiggly 500 bars over Mexico?  

• Like 1

Time for a Don Sutherland post about deeply negative AO and EPO and the correlation to the rest of winter. Combine that with an Ian post focusing on when the cold will end and a Matt post about how horrible our climo is regardless of indexes and we are all set

• Like 3
  • Haha 13