• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2022

dmillz25

GFS just shows that there's a big range of possibilities. Obviously model skill still isn't very good at 6 days out. We can have anything from the storm being suppressed too far to the south, to it being too tucked in and mostly rain. Hopefully a middle ground solution will happen. At least we have something interesting to track for the first time this season. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Really comes down to how far north the system can initially get...anything from a track too close, perfect, or even a miss is possible at this stage.  

What ever happened to the good OL’ days when you had a storm coming up the coast with DC to Boston gets snow blitzed. The past decade or so everything’s all about the timing and threading the needle.:(

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

GFS just shows that there's a big range of possibilities. Obviously model skill still isn't very good at 6 days out. We can have anything from the storm being suppressed too far to the south, to it being too tucked in and mostly rain. Hopefully a middle ground solution will happen. At least we have something interesting to track for the first time this season. 

Exactly. This is just gravy at this point, I don’t normally ‘expect’ snow until Jan. If I can work a decent storm down by me or even up where I work, I’ll take that happily as a nice pre-season bonus. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NutleyBlizzard said:

What ever happened to the good OL’ days when you had a storm coming up the coast with DC to Boston gets snow blitzed. The past decade or so everything’s all about the timing and threading the needle.:(

That’s my dream, I’m not a selfish weenie. I want everyone in on the fun. Give me a classic megalopolis bomb any day. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, NutleyBlizzard said:

There’s never been an era I can think of where it’s been “easy” to get a Boston to DC big snowstorm. You have the very rare events like PDII in 2003, Blizzard of 1996 along with smaller 6-12” type events like that but there are usually problems with the storm type or overall setup to cause it to favor the Mid Atlantic, New England or neither. If there’s anything I can think of to help, it’s that we have to get this Nina pattern gone which we’ve been stuck with the last several winters. El Niño loaded moist patterns with some blocking are ideal. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, NutleyBlizzard said:

What ever happened to extreme winter cold fronts with 50mph wind gusts and snow squalls.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Volcanic Winter said:

With the volatility already baked into this month and the massive changes made to the system the past 48 hours I wouldn’t expect to start seeing a more coherent and well supported outcome until the back end of the weekend at least. 

This is why you can't jump off the ledge with each model run a week out with so much in play. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Very close

We’ll probably need the primary to squeeze south of Chicago in order for the the secondary to take a benchmark instead of hugger track. You can see 12z Euro comparison with the 6z GFS. That Euro primary cut just a little too far north. If the 12z guidance has any clue, then the 12z GFS extreme suppression track looks like an outlier. So maybe this will turn out to be a battle between a benchmark or hugger track. Something in between those two would work. 

87A44F11-CF0A-47E9-B86B-A102989E1DF1.thumb.png.781e0460a0241949b63969e95999e98c.png

7E94718F-A3F6-4E77-9F0E-9F1CBD7CB59F.thumb.png.789e4b59a3c3fa96e8b105b960a735ec.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Evolving pattern has potential.   Ensembles (MMU attached) look promising.   Bigger question for me is do the positive temperature departures we've racked up so far this month (+4 to +5 degrees) get completely wiped out by the end of the month.  Don't think we quite make it but it is possible.  Places along and north of Rt. 80 and west of 287 still look like they could pickup C-2" amounts, especially highest elevations with the Sunday night - Monday morning event.  Then we move onto the potential late this coming week.  Way to early for those details but in my mind colder and more frozen precip is the way to lean right now, especially inland.

CMC.jpg

GFS.jpg

EURO.jpg

• Like 2