Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 2022

dmillz25

8 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

I don’t miss them drying up on radar crossing the mountains as a kid 

That became a more recent phenomenon, back in the 80s they were more likely to give a light to moderate snowfall.  The last winter we had that kind of pattern that I can remember was 08-09.....remember that pattern (before the March 09 coastal)....it was cold with frequent light snowfalls.  Nice wintry feel, an overperformer of a winter.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stormlover74 said:

No I think it was a dying ohio valley low that redeveloped off the nc coast

I was going to check the wpc surface analysis page to see if it was a miller b or a clipper but for some reason they don’t have any archives for January before 2006. All the other months work fine though it seems

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

Yeah even though December is considered meteorological winter while March is not, March has been a much better snow month than December for us in the last 10 years. We've had major March snow in 5 out of the last 10 winters. 

Unfortunately that's often too late for urban areas.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Intensewind002 said:

I was going to check the wpc surface analysis page to see if it was a miller b or a clipper but for some reason they don’t have any archives for January before 2006. All the other months work fine though it seems

This website has a ton of info about every winter storm of any significance to strike this region from 1993-2013. The writeups and snow maps are NJ-focused but there are a ton of other resources (radar imagery, surface maps, pressure/temp maps from various levels, regional station observations) for the storms.

Ray's Winter Storm Archive (raymondcmartinjr.com)

As for the millennium storm, I've linked that page below and it seems there was a weak, dying low over Lake Erie that transferred to the NC coast.

Snow storm, December 30, 2000 - Storm Summary (raymondcmartinjr.com)

• Like 2