Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
December 2022 Obs/Disc

40/70 Benchmark

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

You’re going January 19? Hell they may  get snow on 1-5. I would NOT cancel.

Absolutely.  You take your chances with an active pattern up there in Jan every time.  If it were balls cold and looked great for coastal SNE you get the feeling he wouldn't cancel, and that could be potentially terrible up in NNE 

Just now, radarman said:

Absolutely.  You take your chances with an active pattern up there in Jan every time.  If it were balls cold and looked great for coastal SNE you get the feeling he wouldn't cancel, and that could be potentially terrible up in NNE 

I've gotta add, many times I have been surprised by the conditions in a "bad stretch." Good grooming can turn an icy trail into a really fun skiing day. I'm actually looking forward to the warmup - nicely groomed trails with 30s and 40s daytime high can be a treat in January! 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, alex said:

I've gotta add, many times I have been surprised by the conditions in a "bad stretch." Good grooming can turn an icy trail into a really fun skiing day. I'm actually looking forward to the warmup - nicely groomed trails with 30s and 40s daytime high can be a treat in January! 

I grew up learning to ski in dogshit….1990-1991, 1991-1992 were my first two winters where I learned to ski and skied a lot. 

Someone can go look up those winter but the spoiler alert is they sucked giant donkey balls with tons of cutters. I assumed it was normal back then as I didn’t know any better. 

But you are correct at how good they are at fixing those groomers. Even back then. Yeah, we couldn’t go on the natural snow moguls all the time but the groomers were often great even the day after a cutter. 

At any rate though, NNE could get buried before the 19th. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Looks like 4 rain events in the next 14 days or so up in NNE.

Just waiting on confirmation from the other people coming with us; but we are most likely canceling our trip.

Cant believe the weather is going to force us to cancel a ski trip in mid-late Jan. You hate to see it

Best to reschedule to 2024

• Haha 2
  • Weenie 1

22 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Just waiting on confirmation from the other people coming with us; but we are most likely canceling our trip.

Cant believe the weather is going to force us to cancel a ski trip in mid-late Jan. You hate to see it

Cancelling a ski trip in mid Jan? They are having a much different winter up there than we are having in SNE. Those rainstorms here are burying them. I don’t care what the models say, it’s not going to be snowless in NNE. This is not a super nino.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, George001 said:

Cancelling a ski trip in mid Jan? They are having a much different winter up there than we are having in SNE. Those rainstorms here are burying them. I don’t care what the models say, it’s not going to be snowless in NNE. This is not a super nino.

You living in a parallel universe?

17 minutes ago, qg_omega said:

You living in a parallel universe?

Not every pattern that skunks SNE is the same. This December has been cold with the storm track to our west, so NNE got buried while we rained. This is different than Dec 2015 where everyone torched. Both patterns sucked for eastern mass but one buried NNE and the other skunked everyone. It will warm up yes, but in January in NNE it can and does snow in well above normal temps. Have you gone up to NNE this year to ski? I have, and it looks a lot different than it does in SNE. Cancelling a ski trip in NNE for mid jan because you don’t think there will be enough snow is a terrible idea. Climo matters here, if the models are showing something that deviates from climo you should question it (like if they show a blizzard in May for SNE). This is the same idea.

Where are you going? We are pushing 6 since yesterday and prob another 3-6 thru weds. Weekend will be warm, but not a torch up here. If we can avoid the soaker and do 30s and showers we could already be recovering by 1/6 if that trends favorably.

This!

A wise man with a freak in his handle once told me, bring the moisture in the northern greens and the rest will take care of itself. Yes, it may rain sometimes, but I’ll take my chances with lots of storms in January over deep cold patterns every day of the week. The bright reds aren’t necessary a death sentence in jan.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

This!

A wise man with a freak in his handle once told me, bring the moisture in the northern greens and the rest will take care of itself. Yes, it may rain sometimes, but I’ll take my chances with lots of storms in January over deep cold patterns every day of the week. The bright reds aren’t necessary a death sentence in jan.

Snowy vibe today.  You guys look to be doing better on the SW flow off Lake Ontario reaching in there.  But big fluffy flakes floating most of the morning.  Fluffy stuff.

Snowy vibe today.  You guys look to be doing better on the SW flow off Lake Ontario reaching in there.  But big fluffy flakes floating most of the morning.  Fluffy stuff.

Yeah, looks like a true jay cloud catching help from the lakes. Gfs and nam both printing out .5 plus before the rain gets here late week Mansfield through here. Might be a surprise real solid week in the northern greens. Let’s see if we can avoid a pack killer 12/31-1/5.

• Like 1

I’m glad everyone has endless money that they can piss away on ski trips and mediocre conditions.

I wasn’t trying to be an ass, it’s a legitimate concern, when you’re spending $400 or more to ski for two days, plus a condo, food, etc, you’d like it to be decent.

My wife also got hurt skiing the first time she went, and it’s taken almost a decade to get her to try it again, so I’d prefer it wasn’t a disaster

• Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

6 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I’m glad everyone has endless money that they can piss away on ski trips and mediocre conditions.

I wasn’t trying to be an ass, it’s a legitimate concern, when you’re spending $400 or more to ski for two days, plus a condo, food, etc, you’d like it to be decent.

My wife also got hurt skiing the first time she went, and it’s taken almost a decade to get her to try it again, so I’d prefer it wasn’t a disaster

What weekend are you going?

23 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Just know I'm only ever messing with you, I'm a big clown, just ask the rest of these banana heads 

• Like 1