Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2022 Obs/Disc

40/70 Benchmark

9 hours ago, weathafella said:

I bet if you can ascertain records a foot on that date is probably near the top.

Tops here isn't much higher - 16" in 2018 thanks to that day's 8" of pow.   Only 2 other years had more than 10" - 13" in 2012 and 14" the next year.  Tallest anywhere was 30" in Fort Kent, 12/25/83.

5 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Onto January....

Ya pattern looks horrendous after Christmas with pacific warmth flooding the US. Woof - this is worse than those years when it was 60-70 in December bc there wasn’t any expectation. This is to be has to be up there with the worst weather December we’ve had. Teased with tons of potential for one 1-5” Light snow event that melted within a week in SNE. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

Ya pattern looks horrendous after Christmas with pacific warmth flooding the US. Woof - this is worse than those years when it was 60-70 in December bc there wasn’t any expectation. This is to be has to be up there with the worst weather December we’ve had. Teased with tons of potential for one 1-5” Light snow event that melted within a week in SNE. 

Pig coming for Ak 

2 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Ensembles still show it regresses back to the Aleutians, even the GFS...I don't think we have anything more than a brief transitory warmup

Tropical forcing kind of shows this. The pig tries to build in during an unfavorable period just after Xmas but then we go more to an El Niño look in the N PAC with the pig retrograding to Aleutian Low position. If Ray wants to flush La Niña temporarily, this would be the time that it might happen. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/16/2022 at 9:42 AM, Great Snow 1717 said:

One of the all time best mets. I had the pleasure of speaking with Walt several times when he was at Box. 

True story:

Feds were offered govt negotiated (but not govt paid) long term care insurance.  This is circa October 2002 on a cool breezy day.  They had this information session at the DOT facility near Kendall Sq.  I see this guy running well ahead of me and I was rushing fearing being late.  I get on the check in line where they were checking IDs and of course I forgot mine.  The same guy is in front of me and I see it’s a NOAA badge and the name is Drag.   I blurt out “Walt Drag” and he wheels around wondering who could know him there.  The guard let me in and I sat next to him for the session.  We talked snow a lot!  An amazing coincidence!  We stayed in email contact for awhile-brilliant and very nice man.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, weathafella said:

True story:

Feds were offered govt negotiated (but not govt paid) long term care insurance.  This is circa October 2002 on a cool breezy day.  They had this information session at the DOT facility near Kendall Sq.  I see this guy running well ahead of me and I was rushing fearing being late.  I get on the check in line where they were checking IDs and of course I forgot mine.  The same guy is in front of me and I see it’s a NOAA badge and the name is Drag.   I blurt out “Walt Drag” and he wheels around wondering who could know him there.  The guard let me in and I sat next to him for the session.  We talked snow a lot!  An amazing coincidence!  We stayed in email contact favor awhile-brilliant and very nice man.

You were very fortunate to have that experience. It had to be a great discussion!! 

Just now, Lava Rock said:

Wasn't it supposed to get cold this week? All I'm seeing is lows around 20 and highs in the 30s

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

We lost the PV giving us a visit. So instead of arctic hounds later this week it’s just seasonable chilly weather prior to the cutter. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Tropical forcing kind of shows this. The pig tries to build in during an unfavorable period just after Xmas but then we go more to an El Niño look in the N PAC with the pig retrograding to Aleutian Low position. If Ray wants to flush La Niña temporarily, this would be the time that it might happen. 

January will rock. Mark my words. I was always tepid on December.

• Haha 1

What I mean is the sensible impact was rushed...a favorable pattern did indeed develop in December, but it was still biased towards the interior and the coast didn't cash in. As dissapointing as this is, I feel as though everything is on track as was originally outlined. However, I am no longer as concerned about having underestimated this season as far as cold and seasonal snowfall. 

• Like 1