Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
December 2022 Obs/Disc

40/70 Benchmark

38 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The thing about windy storms, is that you don’t have a lot of compaction the next day. I realize that I absolutely cannot stand seeing a softly fallen snow compact to half its depth in eight hours. The worst is when you see those lines on the fence where the snow was and then where it is currently. That just makes me angry.

Comments like this reassure me that these are my people lol.

• Haha 4

48 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I hate windy powder storms. So much snow is ruined. Give me 31 with S++ and calm

I kind of see your point.  I got 18+ Boxing Day and I took the dog around midnight up to one of the highest hills.   Snow was completely blown off of it despite very heavy falling snow.  But blizzards with wind work the landscape like nothing else.  It’s spectacular.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I would rather have el nino all things equal, but a super el nino is the worst

I mean I know Ginx starts wearing his snow pants with straps every year and slaps them against his shoulders starting in October and never met a winter he didn’t like. But the reason I have been such a Debbie the last few weeks and even last 2 winters.. is Nina. I’ve noticed modeling (in a general sense) struggles immensely in Ninas vs non Nina years. Why that is .. I don’t know .. I suspect it’s tied to the MJO.. but it’s legit 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, weathafella said:

I kind of see your point.  I got 18+ Boxing Day and I took the dog around midnight up to one of the highest hills.   Snow was completely blown off of it despite very heavy falling snow.  But blizzards with wind work the landscape like nothing else.  It’s spectacular.

That’s why true top end blizzards are the best. You get the 50mph winds and insane sensible wx conditions plus a transformed moonscape, except the snow is so deep in those that you don’t have any bare grass areas. It’s more like 8-10” in the low spots and 4-5 feet in the high spots. 

Storms like Jan 2005 and Feb 2013 were like that. Really windy but such top end snowfall totals that you couldn’t blow the ground bare. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

That’s why true top end blizzards are the best. You get the 50mph winds and insane sensible wx conditions plus a transformed moonscape, except the snow is so deep in those that you don’t have any bare grass areas. It’s more like 8-10” in the low spots and 4-5 feet in the high spots. 

Storms like Jan 2005 and Feb 2013 were like that. Really windy but such top end snowfall totals that you couldn’t blow the ground bare. 

I enjoy the wind aspect. It just adds to the tempest appeal. Sure maybe it costs me a few inches compared to what I’d measure if winds were less, but I love a good storm. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Semantics...I don't mean LBSW as in occlusion. It gets shunted further se the more ne it comes. 

I knew what you meant, just being pedantic.

In any case, prospect of first flakes always has extra edge, but otherwise agree with CoastalWx... these aren't the droids you're looking for.

11 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I mean I know Ginx starts wearing his snow pants with straps every year and slaps them against his shoulders starting in October and never met a winter he didn’t like. But the reason I have been such a Debbie the last few weeks and even last 2 winters.. is Nina. I’ve noticed modeling (in a general sense) struggles immensely in Ninas vs non Nina years. Why that is .. I don’t know .. I suspect it’s tied to the MJO.. but it’s legit 

I am sick of it. 

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

Do not ever mention that abomination of a storm known as Boxing Day ever again for christs sakes…..that storm was such garbage….that is all

Looks like the GFS is trying to commit more to some sort of forcing toward either a quasi Miller b, or a warm advection arm low/warm frontal wave, as 13.14.15 is extending east … 

writings on the wall there. That’s likely a colder solution destiny N of PHL - how much so. 

Retrograde lower Maritime bomb plays a role.