Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2022 Obs/Disc

40/70 Benchmark

42 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah the big western PNA ridge isn’t happening I don’t think for now (maybe in January if Ray has the right idea?)….but I love that split flow -EPO/-PNA/weak -NAO look. The EPO ridge is pretty Far East too. 

We take this all day/every day in December.

• Like 4

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Getting both suites to finally agree is huge. 

Weird how both model suites had some pretty bad misses even like 7-10 days out.....GEFS was pretty much a disaster in handling the NAO block (EPS generally schooled it)....but GEFS schooled the EPS on the PAC look.

The handling of the block isn't done either....I'd expect more trends with it.

• Like 3

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Weird how both model suites had some pretty bad misses even like 7-10 days out.....GEFS was pretty much a disaster in handling the NAO block (EPS generally schooled it)....but GEFS schooled the EPS on the PAC look.

seems like it's been strengthening, as it should with all of the wave breaking going on in the Atlantic. the GFS/GEFS was handling this aspect horrendously recently

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Just now, brooklynwx99 said:

seems like it's been strengthening, as it should with all of the wave breaking going on in the Atlantic

I don't want that to weaken much. This pattern coming up does not look like a suppression pattern...so I think we need the Atlantic to help make sure we don't have any lows ride up our fannies. 

15 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The agreement is now pretty damned good. EPS looks a little better overall because the AK ridge on the EPS is stronger....but the anomalies are mostly matching in the right spots to eachother now.

thank you

13 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Getting both suites to finally agree is huge. 

but now I have another question.

which model should we tell DIT to toss?

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I don't want that to weaken much. This pattern coming up does not look like a suppression pattern...so I think we need the Atlantic to help make sure we don't have any lows ride up our fannies. 

Yea, I was never concerned about supression this month, aside from a rogue SW that gets sheared by some compression between NAO and RNA. 

12 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

seems like it's been strengthening, as it should with all of the wave breaking going on in the Atlantic. the GFS/GEFS was handling this aspect horrendously recently

Easily the biggest potential model errors are the handling of the blocking up there over the next week. The strengthening of the 12/12 system offshore should theoretically feed back into that some and hold it tough as 12/15-16 approaches....we saw some trends of that today, but my gut says those trends are far from done.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Mike Ekster is the creator of the term. We kept discussing on eastern in Dec 2007 on how to decribe all these events that kept walloping us aloft with southwest flow but stayed cold in the low levels and he said "they are basically just southwest flow events" and then we started using the term on there and it stuck.

We miss Michael. 

• Like 2

This is the kind of garbage BOX puts out in todays AFD. I mean what shows anything like this lol..

Tuesday though Friday...

After a cool start to the week the trend is for slightly above
normal temperatures with highs returning to the upper-40s if not the
lower-50s. The global ensembles hint towards a more active period
Wednesday night through Friday with a few shots of precipitation.
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

This is the kind of garbage BOX puts out in todays AFD. I mean what shows anything like this lol..

Tuesday though Friday...

After a cool start to the week the trend is for slightly above
normal temperatures with highs returning to the upper-40s if not the
lower-50s. The global ensembles hint towards a more active period
Wednesday night through Friday with a few shots of precipitation.

Considering the vast array of forecasts and how under funded they are, I try to cut them some slack. Too much uncertainty and too little chance of reward trying to get into intimate detail with the general public this early. Will only result in confusion anyway. 

Just now, TalcottWx said:

Considering the vast array of forecasts and how under funded they are, I try to cut them some slack. Too much uncertainty and too little chance of reward trying to get into intimate detail with the general public this early. Will only result in confusion anyway. 

Upper 40’s and 50’s middle and end of week? I mean 2-3 days ago ok sure. Nothing has anything like that now