Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2022 Obs/Disc

40/70 Benchmark

7 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

What is causing  that Secondary development  12/16 system to track With such a northerly component instead of NE , the airmass would probably be just good enough if that track direction was altered 

The ULL is so wrapped up to the west it’s trying to yank it NW. it’s fighting the block the whole time though. It eventually succeeds in a limited fashion. 

It unlikely to play out that way though. If the block is going to sit there in the Davis Strait with a 50/50 trending southwest, I think 12/15-16 will keep trending south too. 

We can get cutters with a big block there but you typically need a lot of nuances to line up. It’s kind of the opposite of when you have no blocking and a semi-hostile PAC…we’re trying to thread the needle for snow events…in this case, you have to thread the needle for a full cutter. It can happen, but they usually play out messier than that with secondary redevelopments, etc. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Kind of a SWFE look with undertones of overrunning or redevelopers with Rockies trough.

Yeah the big western PNA ridge isn’t happening I don’t think for now (maybe in January if Ray has the right idea?)….but I love that split flow -EPO/-PNA/weak -NAO look. The EPO ridge is pretty Far East too. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah the big western PNA ridge isn’t happening I don’t think for now (maybe in January if Ray has the right idea?)….but I love that split flow -EPO/-PNA/weak -NAO look. The EPO ridge is pretty Far East too. 

Yeah, no issues verbatim. For selfish reasons I like it because it allows for a bit more cold to work into the picture around here and that's needed in December.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

It happened in 1997....I think 12/11/97 (ironic its almost the same exact date is this upcoming system)....part of S CT got 5-8" while pike got skunked. South of pike into N CT got like 2-5".

ORH prior to that had a 5" event in November, but hadn't gotten warning snows yet. They did get 18 inches though 12 days later on 12/23/97.

I remember the 12/11 system though because it was originally forecasted to be 3-6" for ORH and then in the final day they kept cutting amounts and settled on 1-3" and we actually got zero. About 10 miles south had 2-3". I remember seeing cars driving north into the city on 290 with snow all over them and it made me furious. :lol:

I remember that one, I was driving back from working in Queens that day, drive was a nightmare, if I'm thinking of the right one, was that the one that hit mid afternoon and wasn't expected to be much initially

49 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

We'll take the EPS and GEFS after the 14th.

one thing that i noticed reading here over the past week or so is that the GEFS and EPS have been polar opposites of each other. are they now starting to be at least a little bit aligned with each other?

1 minute ago, SJonesWX said:

one thing that i noticed reading here over the past week or so is that the GEFS and EPS have been polar opposites of each other. are they now starting to be at least a little bit aligned with each other?

The agreement is now pretty damned good. EPS looks a little better overall because the AK ridge on the EPS is stronger....but the anomalies are mostly matching in the right spots to eachother now.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1