Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 2022 Obs/Disc

40/70 Benchmark

20 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

SWFE is like a made up word isn't it? It's a good one, but I don't think it's an actual meteorological term. 

It's our bread and butter.  I'm thinking 40-60% of what you and I get for annual snowfall comes from them.

But the term itself is really just an AmWx (and Eastern before that) thing

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

it'll be really interesting to see today's 12z runs given the trends that we've seen over the last model cycle wrt the possible event on the 12th. i wasn't too hot on this event yesterday given the lack of support, but there's been a pretty dramatic trend towards more amplification given a farther W Plains ridge, which we can attribute to stronger blocking towards Greenland

eps_z500a_eus_fh120_trend.thumb.gif.909e51660089aa284b6bb22cbd699ec8.gifeps_z500a_namer_fh102_trend.thumb.gif.a3289ee95d269deb4576bbc52468d479.gif

certainly not time to lock anything in at this point, but I think it's safe to say that modeling has made a large trend towards a more amplified solution like the CMC... obviously the CMC itself is the highest ceiling outcome, but with a 1040-50 antecedent HP in Canada, it would certainly be cold enough along with a very low sun angle. obviously, this early in the year, slightly inland is favored

eps_mslpaNorm_namer_17.png.6a5bd41a1c8b4d98588a6b8cb5480658.thumb.png.2602f7aaf09986aae4173345f62cbab7.png

You do a great job. Keep it coming and thank you.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

There is a small room to work with. That s/w causing cyclogenesis is a big focus, but there is an ULL pushing SSW in eastern Canada. That tries to push this system ESE. 

Yea, that is what I focused on instead of the ridge location that Brooklyn did.

• Like 1

Stakes rising with every model run. In years past many a threat has come and gone. I'm getting antsy!
Seems the time invested (Climo Winter) 3 months' worth of... just doesn't seem to pay off. 
One can surmise "winter" is a month's timeframe. Early Jan. to mid Feb., and for myself it's always been the chase, still holding on to my bias.
I'm ready, going forth (curse of death) may "we" all get the fix we deserve and want.

13 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

There is a small room to work with. That s/w causing cyclogenesis is a big focus, but there is an ULL pushing SSW in eastern Canada. That tries to push this system ESE. 

Still 4.5-5 days out....everyone should remember that. Lots of room to move either direction. The hedge is south because of the steroid Davis Strait block pushing the 50/50 ULL S or SW. But it could easily come in more amped too on future runs if there is a bit more phasing of energy out to our west.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

this is a pretty spectacular model fail by the GFS in the mid-range over the N ATL... completely misses the formation of a massive 50/50 

this obviously has big implications on both the impacts of the next system and the evolution of the block as a whole

ezgif-5-0e07399134.thumb.gif.164ac9c46406c485af7d960a9607f3a1.gif

to put into further perspective how bad of a miss this is, here are the changes by day 10:

ezgif-5-e76118727d.thumb.gif.cafc4f9e57dd79959a0f12467fb5fe9a.gif

the stronger 50/50 leads to the cutter getting shunted slightly south, which leads to WAA right into the Davis Strait that amplifies blocking throughout the pole. I think the reason for the GEFS's crappy presentation before was due to the complete mishandling of this feature

• Like 1

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

Let’s hope this doesn’t end up south trending to Philly and BWI. That is one of several possibilities 

Yesterday you were saying no accumulation until 12/20. Today you are worrying about snow melting and suppression depression   This hobby is hard on your type of personality isn't it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5