Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2022 Obs/Disc

40/70 Benchmark

4 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

In all honesty what upstream conditions is the gfs seeing / hallucinating that wants to make it dig for gold by Sw Cali and is it prone to doing this or what are model bias in that region with persistent troughing if any 

Kind of a persistent -PNA. -EPohno ridge near dateline into western AK helping. It’s also possible the block may be helping too as the troughs have nowhere to go, but dive south. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

You need a good pacific in December to benefit.

Current signs point to better conditions by mid month however we need to see this hold into the medium term range. 

Pacific particularly PNA is less important Jan-March. 

Bullshit. Some of our best patterns take place with an RNA/neg NAO....the RNA just can't be extreme.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

This thread is a good example of the downside of having so much information available to us at our fingertips these days. 30 years ago all we would know is that there’s a chance that the patterns going to turn wintery mid month.  Which is probably going to happen. I enjoy the discussions of every model run just like everyone else but the big picture seems pretty clear. Probably we’re going to turn Wintery next two weeks and the potential for snow storms is enhanced by an unending signal of high latitude blocking. And the fact that we’re getting to the time of the year when it starts to get cold, even when the temperature is average or a bit above.   Details to be determined.

Yeah, sometimes we have too much information. I do want to give kudos to the mets on here, as I've really enjoyed reading your analysis and level-headed discussion. Thanks for the good read!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Love the peanut gallery. They sit back and snide without adding anything but snark and memes. 

Nah.  It's nice to see people finally agree that this great pattern to start December is crap on ground truth and we have to wait till mid-month and after before legit threats materialize.

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Love the peanut gallery. They sit back and snide without adding anything but snark and memes. 

I hope that is not how I came across.  I wasn’t intending to be snarky.  Just reacting to the endless overstatements. I like that we have all this info, and that we can discuss it!  There’s always another side to things; with the good comes the not so good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, greenmtnwx said:

Stop following the EPS it’s terrible! Even the NWS has basically thrown in out in their recent discussion in favor of the American/Canadian blend. The EPS has been like throwing a dart. 

God, you are such a puke. They implied that the GEFS and GEPS may be handling the Pacific better in that the neutralization of the RNA will be delayed (which I agree with)....has nothing to do with his point, which was the NAO block sending the chain of PAC shortwaves south and under said block. 

Classic neg NAO/RNA snow pattern.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Baroclinic Zone said:

Nah.  It's nice to see people finally agree that this great pattern to start December is crap on ground truth and we have to wait till mid-month and after before legit threats materialize.

Who said a great pattern to start Dec? There was a threat the 7th is all I remember.  You have been around long enough to understand the entire process of deep blocking evolution.  I wish all of you no matter where you live, look up the Dec 2010 dailies. Definite clues in there. 

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, mahk_webstah said:

I hope that is not how I came across.  I wasn’t intending to be snarky.  Just reacting to the endless overstatements. I like that we have all this info, and that we can discuss it!  There’s always another side to things; with the good comes the not so good.

Not you at all bro. It was the one or two word comments snarking the upcoming wintry pattern 

Just now, mahk_webstah said:

I don’t think you were the target.  We’re about to pick up our 23 year old at her place in Burlington VT for breakfast.  I’m 76 and I’m thankful for the opportunity to retry parenting over age 50.

• Like 4

The best pattern for SNE is not neg NAO +PNA IMHO ...that is ideal for mid atl and se. What we should hope for is neg NAO, neg EPO/modest RNA split flow...have a conga line of PAC SWs head east and run into:

1) The block sending the wave underneath us.

2) Arctic air spilling in from the M stream via the AK ridge. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

The best pattern for SNE is not neg NAO +PNA IMHO ...that is ideal for mid atl and se. What we should hope for is neg NAO, neg EPO/modest RNA split flow...have a conga line of PAC SWs head east and run into:

1) The block sending the wave underneath us.

2) Arctic air spilling in from the M stream via the AK ridge. 

Agree. I think @CoastalWx is correct this is more of an elevation interior pattern. I don’t see cold air source yet that would make it more widespread then that. The next two weeks we are blocking a very marginal airmass at best 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Agree. I think @CoastalWx is correct this is more of an elevation interior pattern. I don’t see cold air source yet that would make it more widespread then that. The next two weeks we are blocking a very marginal airmass at best 

Initially, yes. Its serviceable for the coast...just more of an uphill battle.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

God, you are such a puke. They implied that the GEFS and GEPS may be handling the Pacific better in that the neutralization of the RNA will be delayed (which I agree with)....has nothing to do with his point, which was the NAO block sending the chain of PAC shortwaves south and under said block. 

Classic neg NAO/RNA snow pattern.

Worry about your own game, plenty to keep you busy there. 

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Yeah initially I think it is. To me it looked more favorable here later in the 11-15 day. That’s of course if it stays as modeled.

• Like 1

I think the takeaway is the op runs are going to be all over the place for a while. The GFS had the low next weekend over Toronto at 0z and over NYC at 6z. Just continue watching the evolution of the pattern for clues but detailed outcomes are a little suspect on the ops beyond 5 days.