Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2022 Obs/Disc

40/70 Benchmark

10 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Fortunately the 18z gfs came in more amped with the day 5.5-6 system and it isn’t suppressed this run ..unfortunately as it tracks under long island the air mass is torched except for Catskills / Berks 

I've noticed that about the GFS.   Whenever it cuts the low, the airmass ahead is colder, but erodes after a period of snow/sleet amounting to 1/2" mockery.   When it collapses and respects the NAO hemisphere ...it's warm on the N side of the storm tracks. 

Seems the model has been parameterized ...not to snow like on purpose.  hahaha joking-

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

39 minutes ago, qg_omega said:

10 to 15 day ensembles have no skill, the 10 to 15 day ensemble mean looked good two weeks ago as does today’s….as I said many times statistically it is worse than a coin flip

image.gif

That is not statistically worse than a coin flip. A coin flip means something is not correlated at all. We’re talking independent trials. It would be a 0 on that graph. A correlation of 0.4 is not ironclad but it is statistically significant.  

If you started getting “opposite” results of what you expect, then your correlation is negative. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, greenmtnwx said:

Wnswmbkea

Ensembles look better, but they have regressed as well. Bottom line is I don’t care how negative the NAO is, it’s not getting rid of that stubborn SE ridge without a western ridge developing. We need help with the PNA,  otherwise the SE ridge is the most dominant feature.

You are in Vermont. Don’t you want a se ridge given the blocking developing?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

It’s at least something I’ll be tracking that’s well inside 10 days. That was as amped as I’ve seen it and you can see this is basically a western threat if it’s gonna do much anywhere 

Reminds me a little of Dec 5, 2020…hammered ORH hills and monads with warning level paste but was a sloppy 1-4” for the rest of the region. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

It’s at least something I’ll be tracking that’s well inside 10 days. That was as amped as I’ve seen it and you can see this is basically a western threat if it’s gonna do much anywhere 

This is a kind of 'personalism' but this is one of the "blue-bomb months" of the year.  Granted, on the front side...but by the time 156 hours rolls around we're out around the 9th...which is getting into the sweet climo of whence marginal wet forecasts bust cotton balls. This can happen any point in autumn and spring, really...

Seeing that cartoon layout with blue holes punched in it over western MA/E NY ...etc, is obviously there because it's "marginal" ...

Two aspects:  one, ... trending colder as the system nears was a bankable error correction up to about 15 years ago...  Since, either model improvements, climate change, or both, seem seems to lend to less of that...  That said, a -2 SD west limb NAO may tilt that the other way.  So there's some speculation art here, too. 

19 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

That is not statistically worse than a coin flip. A coin flip means something is not correlated at all. We’re talking independent trials. It would be a 0 on that graph. A correlation of 0.4 is not ironclad but it is statistically significant.  

If you started getting “opposite” results of what you expect, then your correlation is negative. 

The overt skeptical position sees theirs/the 50% on their side as an extraordinarily large value   LOL

just sayn'   good luck.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I think I've seen NCEP use 0.6 as the "useful" cutoff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I think I've seen NCEP use 0.6 as the "useful" cutoff.

Yeah like the NAO has a temp correlation of 0.4 here during peak winter months…it loosely means colder but it has a ton of wiggle room so I don’t place a lot of value on it. It gets to like 0.6 once you are down in Dc and VA and those types of areas so it’s a bigger deal. 

But the main point is that you cannot be “worse than a coin flip” without being an inverse (negative) correlation. Coin flip would be exactly 0.0 correlation since they are completely independent random trials. 

1 hour ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

Well yes Monday is December 5th and is next week.  It’s delayed about a week from the initial great pattern depiction about 2 weeks back.  But it quickly turned into a December 7-9 pattern change last weekend, however the past two days has now turned it into  December 13+.  I am a bit uneasy about the delay too, however if we can get this pattern into the 5-10 day range instead of the 10-15 day range I’d feel much better. 

I have been saying for days I am not going to worry about the upcoming pattern until at least one met shows concerns :(

13 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah like the NAO has a temp correlation of 0.4 here during peak winter months…it loosely means colder but it has a ton of wiggle room so I don’t place a lot of value on it. It gets to like 0.6 once you are down in Dc and VA and those types of areas so it’s a bigger deal. 

But the main point is that you cannot be “worse than a coin flip” without being an inverse (negative) correlation. Coin flip would be exactly 0.0 correlation since they are completely independent random trials. 

Right  ..but the crux of his post was to show having high confidence in ensembles Days 11-15 is not warranted .  Now I know all set ups are not created equally so is it higher than normal with a PNA/ /NAO set up we are hoping makes it inside 9-10 days by mid week 

1 minute ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

But still resulting in rain.

I still think this will be a good interior pattern when all said and done. I do think the coast will just have to wait until maybe after the 14th or 15th. Sounds like climo to me.

Everyone is so jumping the gun and not looking at the fucking calendar.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

I still think this will be a good interior pattern when all said and done. I do think the coast will just have to wait until maybe after the 14th or 15th. Sounds like climo to me.

Can’t imagine anyone doing good in the next three weeks, the pattern screams rain to Maine.  There is no cold air under the block and the PV is gone.  One of the worst patterns we have seen in December in many many years.  Hard to get 5 straight rain events in NNE in December but that’s on deck

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Weenie 6

10 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Right  ..but the crux of his post was to show having high confidence in ensembles Days 11-15 is not warranted .  Now I know all set ups are not created equally so is it higher than normal with a PNA/ /NAO set up we are hoping makes it inside 9-10 days by mid week 

That is way different than saying they have no skill. I would drain all of your money quite quickly if you kept giving me even money odds on something that has a 0.4 correlation. 

Like if you said “I’ll take the coin flip solution and you take the EPS at day 14-15”….you’d get annihilated pretty fast.

Nobody should ever take long range ensembles as very high confidence. But they are useful and have skill. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It’s very early here. I’d almost prefer a better period centered around the holidays if possible.

However, it’s okay to discuss things don’t look as good in the last few days. It is what it is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

That is way different than saying they have no skill. I would drain all of your money quite quickly if you kept giving me even money odds on something that has a 0.4 correlation. 

Like if you said “I’ll take the coin flip solution and you take the EPS at day 14-15”….you’d get annihilated pretty fast.

Nobody should ever take long range ensembles as very high confidence. But they are useful and have skill. 

In this pattern with short wave lengths and lots of blocking, I would suspect correlation coefficients near 0.2 or worse in 10 to 15 day ensemble range.   Would easily bet on an opposite look of that today

There's a few that have been leading the pack with this pessimism. I honestly and truly don't care if it doesn't snow until after Christmas. We don't truly get our winter weather going until January or February and even March. Our biggest snow storms ever have been in those months. Less common to have them in December.

I would love to have some snow by Christmas. That would be awesome. But am I going to crawl into a hole and die. Am I going to keep on talking about how horrible this is and how I told you so and how I said that I knew this was going to happen and the pattern wasn't going to change. Or that It was going to keep getting pushed back. No. Those of you who have been saying that can keep on torturing yourselves lol.

I'll be ready when that big one comes about.

• Confused 2

You hate to see the F bombs .. 

jk .. i prob care less about the weather in my specific spot more than most bc I’ll drive to snow Like a degenerate Feind  . My schedule and work let’s me do this more than ever this year . Once we get passed mid week rain to Quebec I’ll be relaxed as long as NNE doesn’t torch post that